pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > audio

Notices

Old 19-09-17, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hart View Post
Lecture wise.

Metaxas & Sins big greek guy was amazing.

The GIK acoustics (noel gallagher look a like) just cannot speak or present, even if his physics is correct. Was a bad lecture - hence no round of applause at the end / we all walked out at exactly 60mins...
Thanks for your feedback, always welcome it whichever way it goes
I actually changed the way I do this lecture and I am not sure it really was the best way round as the regular lecture normally goes down well. I want to keep the part about testing but think when I present the lecture at The Indulgence Show I will keep with the pre written presentation (this time I will have sound which certainly helps) and then add the testing part at the end for those interested and want to learn more about them. I think putting it at the beginning was a mistake it was too complex and ruined the flow of getting the important information on how to set up and treat your room out there.
Old 19-09-17, 01:50 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G T Audio View Post
It is because of Apple that has caused the demise of the HiFi industry, the music business too...
I disagree, you can only blame the industry itself.
As a Hi-Fi enthusiast I would blame , if anybody, Alan Sugar when he sold a music delivery system and called it "Hi-Fi" for if I remember less than £100.
This made the public believe that equipment that cost anything more than £100 was only for mad people.
I thought Apple did pay royalties to the artists, so how does that hurt music production?
Old 19-09-17, 02:36 AM
Administrator

It is wrong to single Apple out. It is just computer and internet technology that has moved things and if one is going to rail at that then be may as well start smashing up Jaquard Looms etc too. If there is any blame to be dished out here it is to the traditional audio industry not identifying market trends and isolating itself trying to sell ever more expensive trinkets to an ever-aging and diminishing existing market rather than offering something of real value to a young new generation of headphone listeners. Many areas are now so ludicrous and over-priced that the real audio enthusiasts are migrating to restoring classic kit and introducing new digital streaming technology to that rather than paying any attention to the new market where DACs etc that should cost hundreds cost thousands and speakers capable of moving any air cost as much as a car!
Old 19-09-17, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheggs View Post
Thanks for your feedback, always welcome it whichever way it goes
I actually changed the way I do this lecture and I am not sure it really was the best way round as the regular lecture normally goes down well. I want to keep the part about testing but think when I present the lecture at The Indulgence Show I will keep with the pre written presentation (this time I will have sound which certainly helps) and then add the testing part at the end for those interested and want to learn more about them. I think putting it at the beginning was a mistake it was too complex and ruined the flow of getting the important information on how to set up and treat your room out there.
I feel your pain. I've been there done that too ref: trying different things with my presentation (not in the hifi industry I should add). What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger... etc. etc.
Old 19-09-17, 03:40 AM
Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony L View Post
It is wrong to single Apple out. It is just computer and internet technology that has moved things and if one is going to rail at that then be may as well start smashing up Jaquard Looms etc too. If there is any blame to be dished out here it is to the traditional audio industry not identifying market trends and isolating itself trying to sell ever more expensive trinkets to an ever-aging and diminishing existing market rather than offering something of real value to a young new generation of headphone listeners. Many areas are now so ludicrous and over-priced that the real audio enthusiasts are migrating to restoring classic kit and introducing new digital streaming technology to that rather than paying any attention to the new market where DACs etc that should cost hundreds cost thousands and speakers capable of moving any air cost as much as a car!
Hear hear! Talking to Aki Mäkivirta of Genelec yesterday, he told me that they see streaming as an absolutely mandatory feature these days, but also that they sell quite a number of single speakers (as opposed to stereo pairs), as that is enough for a lot of people who just want to connect a speaker to their phone or laptop. That did surprise me a bit.
Old 19-09-17, 03:59 AM
pfm Member

Yup - we bought a (shock, horror!) Bose single bluetooth speaker. We cart it on holiday. At home it is in the kitchen or borrowed by the girls in the office, bedrooms. Or used when they have a 'gathering'. Apparently it is never a party these days unless it gets to about 100 people!
Old 19-09-17, 04:51 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
There's always Hammersmith (w/end after next)... http://indulgenceshow.com/
Interesting - might mosey down to see that on Friday.
Old 19-09-17, 05:02 AM

We went to the Indulgence show last year , it should have been great. Lots of good brands in a good location(and remember we travelled down from Yorkshire) but there just was not enough people there . We had gone for a meeting with a company and to look at a on going job in London so it was not a total miss ...but it lacked that bit of something you get when there are more people about. We di all we needed to do on the Friday morning and had left by 1PM . On the Sunday we popped back to confirm something with one of the exhibitors and as we walked down the corridor past open doors you could see the guys almost begging us to go into their rooms .
Hope its better this year for them with more footfall .
That said..what was there was very good...
Old 19-09-17, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfav View Post
We went to the Indulgence show last year , it should have been great. Lots of good brands in a good location(and remember we travelled down from Yorkshire) but there just was not enough people there . We had gone for a meeting with a company and to look at a on going job in London so it was not a total miss ...but it lacked that bit of something you get when there are more people about. We di all we needed to do on the Friday morning and had left by 1PM . On the Sunday we popped back to confirm something with one of the exhibitors and as we walked down the corridor past open doors you could see the guys almost begging us to go into their rooms .
Hope its better this year for them with more footfall .
That said..what was there was very good...
What they did; which is very good is invite all last year exhibitors to a meeting to ask what they could improve which is a very positive start. They have also managed to attract a larger range of exhibitors this year. With regards to the footfall that depends upon the marketing, I am certainly seeing a lot but how much is beyond the industry circles I do not know and I suppose enough terse people to go.
They certainly seem to moving it in a positive direction
Old 23-09-17, 01:52 PM

Old 23-09-17, 01:55 PM

A quick photo dump of the show - for what's it's worth!
Old 23-09-17, 02:13 PM
pfm Member

Thank you! The only surprise is that no one else has posted an pics up until now.
Old 24-09-17, 12:01 AM
Mirror slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hart View Post
A quick photo dump of the show - for what's it's worth!
Thanks too. Who was using the Nagra T Audio? Missed that.
Old 24-09-17, 12:34 AM
pfm Member

Thanks for the pics. Thoughts on the Kiis?
Old 24-09-17, 02:32 AM
pfm Member

When I went last year to Whitelbury, I decided not to go to the National Show again. Incidentally, who decided it is a National Show? There was a great reduction in rooms and on Sunday, very few punters. I think there were more exhibitors than visitors.

For those who went last year and this, how did the two compare?