pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > audio

Notices

Old 22-09-17, 05:09 PM

Considering a Move to Vinyl

I was recently lucky enough to be invited to a demo of Naim's Statement amps at Infidelity in Kingston. I had a great evening (it's a great shop) but what I found interesting was that Naim demoed it with an NDS and 555 but then Tangerine showed off their top of the range LP12 and I thought it sounded miles better.

They get you along to these things for a reason and it worked! I have been happily using a streamer for the last few years but it got me wondering should I move to "the other side" and invest in a deck.

My question is really about investment. Having an NDS and 555 I worry that buying an entry level deck will just be a waste of time as it won't sound anywhere near as good as my NDS but I'm not sure I want to throw a lot of money at a deck yet if I don't like it. I'm keen to know what other people's experiences have been in moving in this direction and thoughts on what would be a good way to start out with the system I have.

I'm using a Naim system - 282, 250, Supercap, NDS, 555. Wilson Benesch Actors.
Old 22-09-17, 05:28 PM
The Man who had no Naim

Don't do it - it is the Road to Purgatory. Even as a Naimie, you will learn what upgradeitis really is!

for , digital is better value for money. And you don't have to worry about children or kitties playing "Magic Roundabout" on it*.

OTOH...............LP12(lingo)-Zeta-ATOC5 into NAC82-SNAXO-250s-SBL does have a lovely "something" about it

*I am still traumatised after watching our 3.5 kg Burmese cat (Syltonia Honkong Suzy Wong) walking across my TT.................it did bounce well though

Shifting 1s & 0s since 1968

Last edited by suzywong; 22-09-17 at 05:41 PM.
Old 22-09-17, 06:42 PM
Resident Philistine

Unless you have a pre-existing vinyl collection.. I'd be very wary.
I've been collecting records since around 1962 and I can't be without vinyl. But, if you are starting from scratch, you are either going to search the s/h sources,.. expensive. or buy into new pressings.. often of doubtful provenance.

BUt.. if you do it right....

Mull
Old 22-09-17, 10:54 PM
100% Analogue

My word of caution is this; with record decks upgrades to the hardware are very clearly audible and you can easily end up spending a huge amount of money.
Old 22-09-17, 11:33 PM
pfm Member

I would echo all that has been said so far but if you must jump in then I would keep it simple. New or 2nd hand, Rega, Nottingham Analogue or Well Tempered would be worth considering for their simplicity and relative value for money. Alternatively if it must be an LP12 then hunt down a good 2nd hand one. Factor in a reasonable cartridge and phono stage and it all starts to become expensive.
Old 22-09-17, 11:59 PM
pfm Member

Forget it. A reasonably priced tt will lead to expensive upgrades. These days digital done right sounds as good as vinyl.
Old 23-09-17, 12:50 AM
Trade: Purite Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullardman View Post
Unless you have a pre-existing vinyl collection.. I'd be very wary.
I've been collecting records since around 1962 and I can't be without vinyl. But, if you are starting from scratch, you are either going to search the s/h sources,.. expensive. or buy into new pressings.. often of doubtful provenance.

BUt.. if you do it right....

Mull
This, unless you have an existing record collection..
Keith
Old 23-09-17, 12:57 AM
pfm Member

I have to ask, did you have an analogue system before the streamer ?
For myself, I've preferred the digital sound since the very early days of CD, and I quickly got rid of my LP12 and the record collection in favour of CD, and more lately, home streaming.
To me, analogue sounds completely different to digital and if you've got used to the digital sound maybe going analogue will be a very expensive mistake.
Old 23-09-17, 01:06 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monya View Post
Forget it. A reasonably priced tt will lead to expensive upgrades. These days digital done right sounds as good as vinyl.
So the NDS is digital done wrong. Or the OP was imagining the differences.
Old 23-09-17, 01:07 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
To me, analogue sounds completely different to digital and if you've got used to the digital sound maybe going analogue will be a very expensive mistake.
I don't understand the need to deny what the OP heard
Old 23-09-17, 01:27 AM
pfm Member

Can’t do any harm, you can afford it, bit of a distraction, long time dead etc. Personally I’d like to go the other way but I’ve got too many records. Still; not much of a pension so I hope the fad lasts and they get me down the pub in my dotage.
Old 23-09-17, 01:28 AM
pfm Member

It is down more to maths () than anything else.

Getting pre-owned hardware at any price point is pretty simple, and should sell for at least close to what it is bought for if ultimately you think the idea is not for you. The hassle is that you have been hooked by some pretty expensive kit............. having said that, a Valhalla LP12 with a Nima is going to sound pretty good and going to cost? Maybe a good deal short of 1k - take a look at Cymbiosis LP12s built from spares/used parts. Add a cart and phono stage...............

As already said, the software can't be downloaded and does not come cheap - far more hassle than anything to do with hardware.
Old 23-09-17, 01:44 AM
Doing his best...mostly

Just because a Linn sounded better on one track in one dem does not make the format superior...unless you listened to lots of comparisons in a number of genres and had the same result.

A dem can easily be thrown in the direction of digital or vinyl through careful selection. Mastering is everything. If I were starting out today I would not go near vinyl. And I love it!
Old 23-09-17, 01:45 AM
Naimless

If you are addicted and have huge amounts of money and time to waste go for it. See what a good demo and sales team can achieve.

You are used to addiction being a NAIM believer - feed the habit. They have got you
Old 23-09-17, 01:48 AM
Trade: Stiletto by Tangerine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic Robinson View Post
Just because a Linn sounded better on one track in one dem does not make the format superior...unless you listened to lots of comparisons in a number of genres and had the same result.

A dem can easily be thrown in the direction of digital or vinyl through careful selection. Mastering is everything. If I were starting out today I would not go near vinyl. And I love it!
Nic, it was a great event over two evenings with a very broad range of music, the Stiletto player won hands down and most in the room would agree. When the events finished, those that hang around just wanted more from the Stiletto LP12!!

Regards,

Mark