pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > off topic

Notices

Old 17-03-12, 03:32 PM
Retired and content.

fox

Like you I had buggered off but I will just pop back in for this one.

First of all, you, Ms fox and the dogs, ponies and whatever other creatures you condesend to defile seem to be ok and that is the most importantant thing. Everything else is secondary.

One bit of advice (which you will probably ignore) is to say "sod the possessions. Possessions end up possessing you, so this is a good time to slim down the goodies and get back to basics. Just as I did not need 150 pairs of gold cufflinks and 80 odd fountain pens etc etc, so you do not need loads and loads of music that you will hardly have the time to listen to.

I have 700 LPs and 700 CDs and there is no way on Gods earth I am ever going to listen to all of them in rotation. There are some people here with collections ten times greater than mine and all I can say is that they are ten times the bigger fool. Collections take up space. If they are physical, you have to store them correctly, worry about damage or theft and even if your music is virtual, you have to ponce about logging it etc and worry about it disappearing into the clouds.

Just get what you really want and say bollocks to the rest.

Get you house back and fill it up with only what is necessary.

Anyway - good luck for the future.

Regards

Mick
Old 17-03-12, 03:45 PM
pfm Member

Sorry to hear about the house, but like you say, material things can be replaced. Glad you are all OK. When we had wildfires around here and push came to shove in packing up belongings, it's surprising how few material things end up being really important to you.

Anyway good luck whatever you decide!

Martin
Old 17-03-12, 03:53 PM
The sound of one hoof clopping

I just found these guys under a pile of slop. Cleaned up nice too. Weirdly there is no smoke smell. The Rockwool saved it.

The villagers (I live in a buddhist community) have donated us some clothes. Its great when you have no clothes of your own. You feel freed of a lot of stuff... plus I am dressed fitting clothes better than I was before this happened. No robes. I draw the line at Robes (though Mick sounds like he is ready for some).

Update Dijeridus were found uncharred! They were blown under the sofa when the water hit them. Will clean them up tomorrow.
Old 17-03-12, 03:56 PM
pfm Member

Sorry to hear about this Fox, but good to see you are being so positive. Good luck with whatever you choose to do..

Here is a proper pony lover;

Old 17-03-12, 04:37 PM

I look at these guys and I know things are ok as long as we all have each other.They have nothing and seem ok. Right now my boots double as chew toys for the pup. Awesome!

Mick Stuff is indeed just stuff, it can and does bog you down. But that's okay, some people want that. I am hell bent on a kick ass project studio and a warmer climate and the slow pace I am used to would be nicer. As I approach 48 I am feeling the colder winters and the rain and wind start to bite at me.
Old 17-03-12, 04:41 PM

I'm glad you're all okay,including the donkey.

Now I have sense of dread that there will be a fresh batch of what toaster, what percolator, which pans threads etc.

What was the cause?
Old 17-03-12, 04:43 PM

No one is sure. It happened so fast. Inside a wall lit the framing and roof timbers. Went from acrid smoke smell to burning roof in 10-15 minutes. Scarily fast.35 mins for Fire engines (we are quite remote so that was pretty good). Might have been mouse chewing on wire causing a spark. Trips were popping. The flue was not on fire... All my chimneys in the living room had been disconnected from the stoves. The flue was clean. Its so hard to tell and the adjuster says that forensics sometimes can never be sure... I did have an under voltage two three weeks that blew out all my SMPS gear which only just got settled on insurance... and now this. Makes you wonder...
Old 17-03-12, 04:46 PM
pfm Member

All the best with coping with the aftermath, fox. You seem to be taking it very well.
Old 17-03-12, 04:58 PM
No fixed engagements

Staying cool. Good to know. Best of luck in the aftermath.
Old 17-03-12, 05:00 PM
41-37

Good to hear you and yours are okay, fox. Best of luck with sorting it all out.

Record cleaner- Hannl with rotating brush would be my choice for doing a lot of records, especially if I was not going to do it myself.
Old 17-03-12, 05:02 PM

A Hannl... will check it out... which model? I think I will hire a lad from the village to clean the records... really I'm not up for that sort of thing...

I am however very tempted to leave the sex toys in the wardrobe and see what kind of an offer they make for their repair/replacement...
Old 17-03-12, 05:30 PM
41-37

Mera ELB probably. Expensive. Sell it on when you don't need it anymore.
Old 17-03-12, 05:47 PM

I don't know how I've come to this so late but, as above, glad every one is ok.

Sounds a real bummer, though, sorry.

Hope it gets sorted soon.
Old 17-03-12, 05:52 PM
Pulls on doors marked push

Awful news Fox. Relieved that you and family members OK.

Perhaps the PFM collective could help with LP cleaning- some parcels of LPs sent to those who own cleaning machines could ease some of the problem.

Jo
Old 17-03-12, 06:10 PM
Quadrophenia land

Glad you are all ok.
Just wondering why, if this is so liberating, you would want to get bogged down in a huge record cleaning project. Isn't it better to just let it go?
I regret getting rid of some stuff, but that's loss, and loss is part of our life cycle. Take a deep breath & let it go. Time is something you can't get back on insurance.