Closed Thread

Old 31-03-12, 10:14 AM
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfi View Post
For consideration for the M-DAC software (firmware?) wishlist:

- phase invert switch

- mono switch
Both require some quite heavy duty processing of the actual signal - has the MDAC sufficient DSP power to do that?
Old 01-04-12, 02:45 AM
Trade: Lakewest

Speaking with Dominik, and we will add a feature to allow renaming of inputs on the Lakewest Build.

We can also add Phase invert option (although I don't believe it will make any real difference).

Mono summing requires DSP power that we don't have....

John
Old 01-04-12, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Another quote by JohnW:
"Yes, we could make a small box with a Clock-Lock Async 192kHz Isolated USB converter - I'd rather do this then design a "Olimex usb isolator" type product... It would resolve two issues with one stone... (Async USB 192 + Isolation)..."

Any progress on that front, John? No transport required, thank you.
We have the circuit designed - but on the budget DAC. Once I've complete the budget DAC, I'll copy the circuit section and design a stand-alone board for the MDAC...

John
Old 01-04-12, 02:49 AM

Quote:
According to JohnW, "So as long as a decent AC mains filter is fitted to the "PC" and used with our optically isolated Async USB solution, any "PC system" will work as well."

May I ask what a decent AC mains filter might be? No DIY solutions please, thank you.
Sorry, I have no idea about mains filters - I use lab grade filters built into the Lab racking...
Old 01-04-12, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronic View Post
its working fine again now, switches on as usual...
Chronic,

Once we have the software built and tested - I'll send you out a replacement Mainboard as promised,

John
Old 01-04-12, 03:18 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
Speaking with Dominik, and we will add a feature to allow renaming of inputs on the Lakewest Build.

We can also add Phase invert option (although I don't believe it will make any real difference).

Mono summing requires DSP power that we don't have....

John
Thanks John/Dominik.

Adding ability to rename inputs is good news.

If you are thinking of using a pick list, my post #330 could be a good starting point.

Look forward to you/Domonic posting more details when available.
Old 01-04-12, 04:08 AM
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by finesensations View Post
my post #330
Why does #330 bother to differentiate between PC, Mac & Laptop?

Any one installation is only likely to have one source COMPuter!
Old 01-04-12, 04:45 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutox View Post
Why does #330 bother to differentiate between PC, Mac & Laptop?

Any one installation is only likely to have one source COMPuter!
Personally I am fine with the current input name (USB) but I understand that some people would prefer a choice, e.g easier for other family members to understand, but I could be wrong.

Also, I believe devices other than COMPuter(s) can be connected e.g Squeezebox (SQBOX).

John/Dominik have not indicated yet how they intend to add the ability to rename inputs but if they decide to use a pick list then I presume the full list would be available for all inputs.

IMO, bespoke input naming would be ideal but not sure if this would be possible.
Old 01-04-12, 04:58 AM
Registered Abuser

Obviously, I have no knowledge of how their software is constructed but memory, be it for code or data, isn't over-abundant in most micro-controller devices.

More naming options ultimately means less memory available for future code enhancements
Old 01-04-12, 05:31 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutox View Post
Obviously, I have no knowledge of how their software is constructed but memory, be it for code or data, isn't over-abundant in most micro-controller devices.

More naming options ultimately means less memory available for future code enhancements
Like you, I have no knowledge of how the software is constructed.

But, another possible way would be to include an option, during the upgrade process, to add a list of up to 5 alternative input names (bespoke or from a pick list) to give a choice of up to 5 names for each input.

All guesswork at this stage but no harm in discussing/suggesting until more details become available.
Old 01-04-12, 08:49 AM

Dom wll add the option for fully user defined input labeling - we need to code for future products anyway - so might as well spend the time to write the code now and make everyone happy...

The Mainboard processor only has 6KB total memory - so little we can do with it, but the front panel MCU has a massive 64KB by comparison

Might not sound a lot by today's standards of poorly written software - but plenty for our needs.

John
Old 01-04-12, 09:02 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
Dom wll add the option for fully user defined input labeling - we need to code for future products anyway - so might as well spend the time to write the code now and make everyone happy...

The Mainboard processor only has 6KB total memory - so little we can do with it, but the front panel MCU has a massive 64KB by comparison

Might not sound a lot by today's standards of poorly written software - but plenty for our needs.

John
Hi John/Dom

That will be perfect.

Many thanks.
Old 01-04-12, 09:37 AM
pfm Member

Hi JohnW - Can you clear some PM space please.

Hi JohnW

Can you clear some PM space please.
Old 01-04-12, 10:18 AM
MDAC fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kimber View Post
Wouldn't it be more sensible to have somewhat more generic labels? Then we could all use it. Not everyone has Sonos (mine's Pioneer N50).
It would indeed, Richard, and I'd be more than happy with that. However, not sure if you read John's original post to me, but he offered (if there's time) to do a firmware build just for me. However, it looks like source re-namnng will be in the Lakewest build anyway :-)

Ben

Last edited by desp_erado; 01-04-12 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Updated since reading newest threads
Old 01-04-12, 11:21 AM
pfm Member

I think the real question is: will the lakewest build replace the audiolab boot logo with a lakewest one ?