pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > audio

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 13-03-12, 10:33 AM
Registered Abuser

On a Windows PC, iTunes software is nothing more than a pain-in-the-ass shopfront for the iTunes license-to-milk, and is of marginal competence as a media player. It is one of those programs that attempts to take over your machine, your world and your life as far as media is concerned. While someone who knows what they're doing can work around this, for a novice it's likely to be hook, line & sinker.

iTunes on the PC - just say no!
Old 13-03-12, 11:04 AM
pfm Member

Attenuation

If using the MDAC's balanced xlr into an integrated amplifier with an input sensitivity of 130mV, am I likely to need some form of attenuation?? Is possible to calculate??

Apologies if this is an obvious question. Am I also right in thinking the M-PAX will allow changes to be made the xlr output voltage???
Old 13-03-12, 11:16 AM
Cereal Killer

How much attenuation you'll need will depend on other factors too, such as the sensitivity of your speakers and how big your listening room is (i.e. how far are your ears from the loudspeakers). This assume that you're not saturating the input of your integrated amplifiier, which is a reasonable guess.
Old 13-03-12, 11:28 AM

Here's a word of warning: don't mess with the filter button when you're raising volume by holding vol+ down, the volume keeps going to full...
Old 13-03-12, 11:29 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIffel View Post
How much attenuation you'll need will depend on other factors too, such as the sensitivity of your speakers and how big your listening room is (i.e. how far are your ears from the loudspeakers). This assume that you're not saturating the input of your integrated amplifiier, which is a reasonable guess.
Eiffel thanks for your response. I'm actually feeding a pair of earspeakers from the speakers taps, and these have a sensitivity of 77dB and an impedance of 50 ohms. The hifiman HE-6. Amp is a Nait5i.

Its the saturation of the input that I would be worried about. Using the RCA out I am using the Naits volume at 9 O'clock....so with the xlr's higher voltage I need some inline attenuation????
Old 13-03-12, 11:49 AM
pfm Member

Canmanbryan

use the mdac on its own, with its internal volume control
find out what attenuation you use in practice
Then buy suitable attenuators if you need them
Old 13-03-12, 11:56 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPa View Post
Canmanbryan

use the mdac on its own, with its internal volume control
find out what attenuation you use in practice
Then buy suitable attenuators if you need them

Chris thanks....obvious when you think about . So enable preamp on the MDAC, and find the value (if any) required to get a sensible range of use on the Nait's volume...

Much appreciated!
Old 13-03-12, 12:20 PM
Cereal Killer

I'm a bit out of my depth here, but it seems that to maintain the same volume level, you'll need to add about 6 dB of attenuation with a balanced connection, as the output voltage doubles compared to an unbalanced connection (RCA: 2.25V RMS,XLR: 4.5V RMS), assuming the input sensitivity of the amplifier doesn't change (which seems likely)

This is just the result of comparing how much attenuation is needed using this formula for different output voltages: 20 * log(MDAC Output voltage / 130mV)

Of course this may be completely wrong... but there is no harm in testing this (starting with even more attenuation)
Old 13-03-12, 12:28 PM
pfm Member

Thanks Eiffel. I'll see if I can borrow an unattenuated cable from David at flashback, work out the amount needed by using the MDAC's built in pre, and then return the cable to David for the appropriate adjustment.

Cheers.
Old 13-03-12, 12:41 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutox View Post
On a Windows PC, iTunes software is nothing more than a pain-in-the-ass shopfront for the iTunes license-to-milk, and is of marginal competence as a media player. It is one of those programs that attempts to take over your machine, your world and your life as far as media is concerned. While someone who knows what they're doing can work around this, for a novice it's likely to be hook, line & sinker.

iTunes on the PC - just say no!
Couldn't agree more!
Old 15-03-12, 08:06 PM

just checking on the firmware update - any news? thanks.
Old 15-03-12, 09:56 PM
\o/ c h o o s e a n a r c h y

what a riveting discussion of contemporary audio!

vuk.
Old 15-03-12, 11:15 PM
Trade: Lakewest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktane View Post
Here's a word of warning: don't mess with the filter button when you're raising volume by holding vol+ down, the volume keeps going to full...
Okatane

Could you pls. give me more detailed information - how did you increase the volume and change filter at the same time?

If we can recreate the issue - and can confirm the bug then we can fix the issue in the pending software release.

Thank you for the feedback,

John

Last edited by JohnW; 15-03-12 at 11:30 PM.
Old 15-03-12, 11:24 PM
Trade: Lakewest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmarcelo View Post
just checking on the firmware update - any news? thanks.
A qucik update:

Dominiks been having problems with the uploader - and still has not got it to work reliably.

The uploader work in two stages;

1. Updates the Mainboard processor (this works OK).

2. Updates the front panel processor - this is causing us grief...

Dom's back working full time on the software, so hopefully we will see progress very soon,

Sorry for the delay,

John
Old 16-03-12, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
A qucik update:

Dominiks been having problems with the uploader - and still has not got it to work reliably.

The uploader work in two stages;

1. Updates the Mainboard processor (this works OK).

2. Updates the front panel processor - this is causing us grief...

Dom's back working full time on the software, so hopefully we will see progress very soon,

Sorry for the delay,

John
thanks for the update John.

Cheers,
Closed Thread