pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > audio

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 13-04-12, 04:43 AM
pfm Member

More info on iPad streaming here:

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/s....php?p=1548965

Have been using it on and off since. Sound may be a bit lightweight, though?
Old 13-04-12, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
klipschman70,

Dominik believes he has found the issue with very rapid locking / unlocking events at higher sample rates (Oppo player) - I've Emailed you the update file if you would not mind to check it out before "Official" release..

Thank you once again for your feedback,

John
Hello JohnW

Thanks for your continuous support! I have updated the firmware with no issue at all. I use Vista 32bit and the update process was a breeze

I only got a chance to test the MDAC after update only for few minutes with 192kHz file streamed from Oppo. It seems now the MDAC would play such files correctly (not only the first song in an album). However I think I noticed distorted sound for the first 0.5-1 sec when new file/ song being played. I will confirm this again, when I got home and have a chance to test again.

The software version indicated by MDAC is 0.94/0.93 instead of 0.94/0.94 as mentioned in your email.

Best regards

Harry
Old 13-04-12, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipschman70 View Post
Hello JohnW

Thanks for your continuous support! I have updated the firmware with no issue at all. I use Vista 32bit and the update process was a breeze

I only got a chance to test the MDAC after update only for few minutes with 192kHz file streamed from Oppo. It seems now the MDAC would play such files correctly (not only the first song in an album). However I think I noticed distorted sound for the first 0.5-1 sec when new file/ song being played. I will confirm this again, when I got home and have a chance to test again.

The software version indicated by MDAC is 0.94/0.93 instead of 0.94/0.94 as mentioned in your email.

Best regards

Harry
Upon further listening and checking all connection between MDAC and other components I cannot hear distorted sound as I mentioned this morning... good news.
I guess now I can start burning in my MDAC and wait for the official release of the software.
Thumbs up for both JohnW and Dominik!
Old 14-04-12, 03:08 AM

Thx for the link save me from explaining the setup.

Yes, I'm streaming via wifi and it's the only way to stream.

Mav

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfi View Post
More info on iPad streaming here:

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/s....php?p=1548965

Have been using it on and off since. Sound may be a bit lightweight, though?
Old 14-04-12, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
Hi Kevin,

Dom's found a method to recreate the issue - so is now debugging,

Thank you for the very detailed feedback - its help us to 'Find" the issue in the lab,

John

Edit - ops, sorry this posting should have been for klipschman70 - my bad, I confused posters...
Thanks John and Dominik,
Looking forward for it will be fixed on next patch!
Old 14-04-12, 07:46 AM

Quick question- I know John reckons the CDQ is a big step up from the CD in terms of PSU, de-jitter circuits, etc., but is there any difference in SQ or tech specs between the CDQ and MDAC or are they really identical apart from CD transport section?
Old 14-04-12, 11:06 AM

Well, just listened to the MDAC in the dealer's dem room. Interesting experience- the DAC showed much potential and is en route home with me for a proper listen. The system and room combo at the dealer's was so recessed and muddy I was unable to form firm opinions, except to say that even there I was hearing things I'd never noticed on familiar recordings, and there was no hint of hardness, and some nice natural sounds trying to find their way through (the room was a small box, so bass was a bit boomy). Most interesting thing for me so far- the MDAC fed by USB from my MacBook was better than the 8200CD feeding it, and USB sounded more solid than optical out of the MBP. I'll report more when I get it home...

I should add that even with their not too sensitive speakers driven by Audiolab power amp direct from the MDAC, I was till attenuating to round about 30dB with rock music (less with classical), so I'll almost certainly need attenuators in my system to run without a preamp...
Old 14-04-12, 11:16 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dit0r View Post
Quick question- I know John reckons the CDQ is a big step up from the CD in terms of PSU, de-jitter circuits, etc., but is there any difference in SQ or tech specs between the CDQ and MDAC or are they really identical apart from CD transport section?
'CROSS' output stage in the MDAC is meant to be better than the CDQ. HTH
Old 14-04-12, 11:18 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dit0r View Post
I should add that even with their not too sensitive speakers driven by Audiolab power amp direct from the MDAC, I was till attenuating to round about 30dB with rock music (less with classical), so I'll almost certainly need attenuators in my system to run without a preamp...
What's the problem with attenuating to -30db?????
Old 14-04-12, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interzone View Post
What's the problem with attenuating to -30db?????
I don't know, you'd have to ask John- he advised that if going lower than -30dB to use attenuation. My guess would be that past that point one is beyond the point where the SNR would come into effect attenuating in digital domain- say if the DAC had 130dB SNR, then by the time you get to beyond -30dB you can start to hear it in the rest of the system? That is literally just my guess though, best ask him if you want the real answer!

Thanks for the CDQ/MDAC info, btw
Old 14-04-12, 11:30 AM
pfm Member

Ah, maybe the extra bits run out at -30db. Though I thought it would be lower personally. Fortunately I can attenuate via my (active) speakers so isn't a problem for me.
Old 14-04-12, 12:20 PM
pfm Member

If it's already been posted then I apologise, but it takes bloody ages to sift through these threads. Is the non-beta software update now available to download?
Old 14-04-12, 12:33 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interzone View Post
Ah, maybe the extra bits run out at -30db. Though I thought it would be lower personally. Fortunately I can attenuate via my (active) speakers so isn't a problem for me.
iirc it's not about the number of bits - think you have to go a lot lower for that to be a factor. it's more about the audio signal being reduced whilst the digital noise level stays constant - at least thats how i remember it.
Old 14-04-12, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagdesign View Post
If it's already been posted then I apologise, but it takes bloody ages to sift through these threads. Is the non-beta software update now available to download?
nope not yet, its still being worked on
Old 15-04-12, 09:41 AM
pfm Member

John

A lot of people on here are running the updated software. What's the delay in getting it released official. I am not desperate that is why I haven't asked to beta test it but do want to run my PVR through the MDAC for music programs and concerts insteafof my AV amp.

Sorry to go on about it again :-)

Cheers
Closed Thread