pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > off topic

Notices

Old 13-04-12, 01:54 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullardman View Post
Ain't that the truth!

Nothing worse than a Working Class Tory.

Lend us 'yer bootstraps DV!

Mull
So everybody born into a working class background should stay in that dismal state, eh?

Screw that, Mull.

And get your own bloody bootstaps!:-)

Chris

Last edited by Mescalito; 13-04-12 at 04:10 AM.
Old 13-04-12, 02:00 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsummit View Post
It doesn't make you right the more you say it.....
So you would prefer to wallow in the cultural & intellectual wasteland that is working class Britain? Prefer to be left behind by the rest of society which has had the good fortune or good sense to be able to escape? Prefer to be associated with the Jade Goody/Shannon Mathews mother people.

It takes all sorts, I suppose.

Chris

Chris
Old 13-04-12, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mescalito View Post
So you would prefer to wallow in the cultural & intellectual wasteland that is working class Britain? Prefer to be left behind by the rest of society which has had the good fortune or good sense to be able to escape? Prefer to be associated with the Jade Goody/Shannon Mathews mother people.

Chris

Chris
No, but I don't despise those different to me, and built a career helping them to escape it . With your couldn't give a shit attitude, and your 'I'm alright Jack' ideology, you'd cut off all means of escape, condemning them to third rate education, poor health services and inadequate housing.

In effect you'd make it nigh on impossible for anyone else to do what you did. A tragic consequence of the current administrations policies is that good working class kids won't go go university, because they can't comprehend that they'll end up owing nearly enough to buy a house. Would you have gone under those circumstances?
Old 13-04-12, 02:07 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P View Post
Assuming no posts during the man's time, a fair assumption for hard-working productive professionals in the private sector, a 90(+) hour work week means at least 18 hours of each day are spent on work. (I have assumed weekends are free.)

How could a mere mortal work that hard and long, yet find the time to post about stuff?

It doesn't make any sense... unless Darth is more machine than man, man.

Joe
Not a good assumption, Joe.

When I was flogging my guts out to earn as much as humanly possible in the Offshore construction industry it was 7 x 12 hr weeks with maybe one saturday a month off when working in the construction yards, and 14 x16+ hrs offshore, followed by 2 weeks leave rotation.

When working abroad, it was basically 7 x 12. There was bugger all else to do, so you might as well be a hound for the pound. Especially as it was often tax free.

Chris
Old 13-04-12, 02:13 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullardman View Post
Co. Durham wasn't like that, Mull. And I bet Old Bestwood was still an inward looking, insular hell hole like every other pit village I have ever seen.

Take the rose coloured nostalgic spectacles off. Mining communities sucked.

Chris
Old 13-04-12, 02:16 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsummit View Post
No, but I don't despise those different to me, and built a career helping them to escape it . With your couldn't give a shit attitude, and your 'I'm alright Jack' ideology, you'd cut off all means of escape, condemning them to third rate education, poor health services and inadequate housing.

In effect you'd make it nigh on impossible for anyone else to do what you did. A tragic consequence of the current administrations policies is that good working class kids won't go go university, because they can't comprehend that they'll end up owing nearly enough to buy a house. Would you have gone under those circumstances?

Bloody right I would. I would have done ANYTHING to escape.

Chris
Old 13-04-12, 02:21 AM
47 Lab Rat

Post less, say more.
Old 13-04-12, 02:24 AM
pfm Member

How crass Chris. Re-Joyce is right - if anything serious happens we will all be relying on the state whether we like it or not.

As for the NHS, there are plenty of people who cannot afford private health care who owe their lives to it and so ask them whether the state screwed up.

It's ridiculous to imply that the private sector never screw up. Some of the biggest idiots I know work in the private sector whereas the public sector folks I know tend to be that bit more level-headed.
Old 13-04-12, 02:33 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattski View Post
How crass Chris. Re-Joyce is right - if anything serious happens we will all be relying on the state whether we like it or not.

As for the NHS, there are plenty of people who cannot afford private health care who owe their lives to it and so ask them whether the state screwed up.

It's ridiculous to imply that the private sector never screw up. Some of the biggest idiots I know work in the private sector whereas the public sector folks I know tend to be that bit more level-headed.
The fact that state enterprises (now there's an oxymoron if ever there was one) tend to be inefficient does not imply that all private enterprises are models of thrusting efficiency.

The difference is that inefficient private enterprises go to the wall. Inefficient or disfunctional state enterprises just get more and more money thrown at them, rather than reform.

Chris

Last edited by Mescalito; 13-04-12 at 02:53 AM.
Old 13-04-12, 02:33 AM
2t5b

Quote:

Chris

Chris
Chris Chris, you've jumped to a bunch of nonsensical conclusions here.
Old 13-04-12, 02:34 AM
... Jason H that is.

Quote:
They finished university owing nobody anything.

Chris
You don't think they owe a debt to the society that was willing to invest in their future by educating them to a degree standard?

Jason
Old 13-04-12, 02:53 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Joyce View Post
You don't think they owe a debt to the society that was willing to invest in their future by educating them to a degree standard?

Jason
No. Not at all. No more than they owe a debt to society for someone emptying the rubbish bins or policing the street.
Chris
Old 13-04-12, 02:58 AM
Unicorns fart glitter.

Quote:
When working abroad, it was basically 7 x 12. There was bugger all else to do...
Chris
quite a lot of expat workers use the time to drink themselves to death.
Old 13-04-12, 03:01 AM
Unicorns fart glitter.

Quote:

Chris

Chris
Chris, share your cultural interests with us.
Old 13-04-12, 03:01 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDecameron View Post
quite a lot of expat workers drink themselves to death.
You are not wrong. I did an OU mathematics degree to help combat the temptation. You can't do mathematics if you have had even 1 drink.

Chris