http://ertonline.co.uk/opinion/the-final-revival/

Nail, head, hit.
Old 20-05-17, 12:22 AM
Naimless

Ouch.
Times change
Old 20-05-17, 12:40 AM
pfm Member

Thanks for that, it makes a lot of sense. I am glad I am not a Hi-Fi dealer as my understanding and tastes in audio technology is so last century.
Old 20-05-17, 03:27 AM
Resident Philistine

A lot to agree with there.. but I'm more than a bit sceptical of the last paragraph re 'custom install'.

Due to some quirk of my past dabbling in audio retail/distribution, I still receive copies of 'Custom Install' magazine. I mostly give it a cursory glance and then bin it because it is of no relevance to me. Unless you can afford a total in house rewire, or a separate 'cinema room' etc., etc.. I doubt this stuff is of relevance to 'yer average' music lover or hi-fi hobbyst. We may be a dying breed.. but we won't be revived by spending thousands on hidden wiring and complex audio distribution systems. Custom install is I'm afraid very much a luxury and lifestyle thing which is of little interest to most of us and doubtfully affordable if it was. It is frankly even less known by the average punter than the fact that the UK actually still has an indigenous and World Class audio manufacturing industry.

Before you can get people into 'smart homes' and especially into the audio aspect thereof.. you need them to accept that something better than the output of Curry's and increasingly the Tesco/Asda monopoly exists and is 1. Obtainable and 2. Desireable.

I have friends who hear my system..tell me it sounds fab.. they love it etc..
Then go on to say that they have better things to do personally with their time/money etc.

I.O.W. 'Yes it's better.. but I don't want it'.

Bizarre logic.

Remind you of anything going on in the country at the moment?

Mull

Last edited by Mullardman; 20-05-17 at 03:42 AM.
Old 20-05-17, 05:15 AM
pfm Member

I remember some years ago looking for a new old fashioned stereo amp at Richer Sounds.
The salesman seemed keen to demonstrate a multi room digital music system driven by ipad thingy. This would be the future.
At the time I just wondered why I would want a multi room musak system.

Still don't; but the ipad thingy is creeping into the house and taking over somewhat!