pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > d.i.y.

Notices

Old 20-03-08, 04:31 PM

Arcam Alpha 5 CD player draw jamming

My Arcam Alpha 5 CD player draw has just started playing up you have to force it to open & close, been in touch with Arcam only to tell me the don't support it anymore, the guy referred me to ebay which I asked the ebay guy would it suit my player. To be told that = If your player is CDM9 or CDM-9 PRO. I think you can use this item.

Has or anyone experienced this problem or a remedy.

Thanks Mike
Old 20-03-08, 04:37 PM
pfm Member

Yes! Very recently. The same mech went in the AVI cd2000 and had the same fault. I've just bought the repair kit from ebay, a tenner, delivered and I've not yet fitted it. It looks right though. If you remove the cover you will see the drawer is operated by a beige plastig gear that sits on a pulley. The gear has 10 teeth, which fall off. You will have lost some or all of these. If this is the case then buy teh CDM9 repair kit, and fit it. It's easy to remove as I remember, I was looking into getting a gear made but with the Ebay guy it's innecessary.
Old 20-03-08, 05:01 PM

They are also available direct from arcam for about 12, i dunno what your kit from ebay cost.
Old 20-03-08, 11:41 PM

Get the kit from Arcam, the replacement part is supposed to have greater longevity. They also provide very detailed monkey-see, monkey-do instructions.

Regards,

Mus
Old 21-03-08, 01:23 AM

This is the reply that I had from Arcam!

I am sorry to hear about the problem you are having with your Alpha 5 CD player.

From what you have said, it sounds like the drive tray drawer cog has failed, losing its teeth. Unfortunately, we no longer have stock of these replacement parts.

However, you may still be able to source this part from a third party supplier on ebay. I have listed a link to the site below:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tray-Gear-whee...sid=p1638.m122

I hope this helps.
Old 21-03-08, 01:40 AM

OK, plan B. Les at Avondale rebuilds AA5s and changes the cog as part of the rebuild. Ask him nicely and he may sell you a cog. Ask Arcam nicely and they may email you the instructions.

Regards,

Mus
Old 21-03-08, 04:01 AM
TubeTech

Hi Mik60ish
Same very thing happened to my AA5, really odd that Arcam don't have the cog wheel as I brought mine just 5-6 months ago, I have the instructions if you require them, PM me your private mail account and I will scan and send as .pdf. My failed drawer mech promted me to do the AAA5 up-grade, well worth the effort IMHO.

Paul
Old 23-03-08, 03:28 AM
TubeTech

Hi Mick

PM sent.

Paul
Old 23-03-08, 04:09 AM

Hi Mike, had same problem with my Quad 67 cd player, had to send off to Taiwan for it.
Got my brother-in-law to fit it ( He repairs computors for a living ) Would not atempt it your self looks tricky.You can damage components with static discharge so be careful

Tom B.
Old 23-03-08, 02:12 PM
TubeTech

Hi Tom
Good advice, but the AA5 is a doddle to repair, you only need to remove the mech drawer and there are no static sensitive devices that need to be considered, I will be mailing Mike the fitting instructions when he send me his mail account to attach too.
Paul
Old 23-03-08, 03:54 PM
Registered Ginga

Actually you have to strip the player right down, as the mech is screwed to the monoboard, but having said that, it's still a pretty simple machine.
Old 08-04-08, 02:06 PM

Hi Guys

I haven't had the instructions from Paul yet. I did ring Les and he said he would post me a replacement cog wheel! I did explain that I was now living in New Zealand still no sound from my AAA5 boo hoo!
Old 08-04-08, 02:50 PM
TubeTech

Hi Mike I have not recieved a mail account from you to mail you the pdf file, please mail me an address where I can send the attachment, I have scanned the instructions just waiting for the address.
Paul
Old 08-04-08, 09:10 PM

Hi Paul

My email xyeovillian(at)gmail.com

Iv'e tried twice with pm!!

Cheers Mike
Old 08-04-08, 11:39 PM

why should les have a limitless stock ?

the simple solution is to convert the draw to manual operation......this is achieved by making certain the draw moves freely ....you may need to delve right into the a5 to clean up or remove further teeth from the beige cog ...then fit a handle on the draw.

It does not effect performance and allows you to continue to use this very good cdp.