1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

‘Restoring’ - Beatles Laminated flip back sleeves?

Discussion in 'music' started by Gerard124, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Gerard124

Gerard124 pfm Member

2. Gerard124

Gerard124 pfm Member

Cleaning with Pritt Stick?

3. No for sticking down the flips.:D

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Servisol Foam Cleanser 30 works a treat on grubby gloss laminated sleeves: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Servisol-SE...sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438452425&sr=8-1-spell Only use it on the front, not the matt back! I'd be inclined to leave the back as-is, but if you want to reduce the grub a bit an artist's putty eraser used gently can work very well indeed. Servisol would certainly get the best out of that Help sleeve, it would be the first thing I did.

5. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

I'm interested to know what people suggest for this as well.

I recently cleaned up some marks on a laminated sleeve by carefully rubbing them with alcohol - but I've no idea of this is a recommended treatment.

6. I wouldn't use alcohol.

7. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

8. I have never tried the stuff Tony put a link to above but as he has traded in old vinyl for years, It should work.
    I have always just used a damp soft cloth.

9. Gerard124

Gerard124 pfm Member

Result:

Dare’nt say what I used :eek:

[​IMG]

10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Very similar to be honest, the Servisol stuff is like that but more effective on stubborn stains. It's also very forgiving if you do accidentally spray some on a matt area and doesn't leave a stain even though it does take some time to dry. It's amazing stuff, I use it to clean just about everything (hi-fi, vintage synths, LP sleeves, wine or coffee stains out of carpet etc!).

11. Gerard124

Gerard124 pfm Member

12. Gerard124

Gerard124 pfm Member

Before cleaning!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. The more important question is what's the condition of the vinyl like?

14. Klyde

Klyde pfm Member

DIY on the sleeve decreases the value of the record. I'd consider leaving them as they are.

15. Michael J

Michael J CDP3000 1Hz-20kHz ±0.5dB

Autosol, T-cut, or Brasso?

16. Only if you mess it up.
    60s/70s Laminated covers are normally easy to wipe clean as its normally just years of fag smoke built up nicotine on them.

17. Gerard124

Gerard124 pfm Member

Tiny Dab of Halfords bug and tar remover on kitchen roll - worked a treat.

18. White spirit then.:rolleyes:

19. Gerard124

Gerard124 pfm Member

Er, no - not white spirit :rolleyes: