1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

£500,000 for a Lennon album!

Discussion in 'music' started by Cereal Killer, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

2. Uncle Ants

Uncle Ants I'm a Shop Keeper

Hmmm. Well £500k for any record is a bit mad ... But £500k for a relic maybe not so if relics are your bag.

3. barrymidd

barrymidd Who me?

It's got history, provenance and a connection to one of the most famous events in the rock and roll era. It is unique and whoever buys it will be buying a bargain IMO. The price will soar over time and it will be worth millions in 10 - 20 years time. I wish I had a spare £500K, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

4. Wolfmancatsup

Wolfmancatsup Linn Lad

But it's got Yoko Ono on it!

5. barrymidd

barrymidd Who me?

Well yes - that is a bit of a downer, I will admit.

6. Alan

Alan Knob Twiddler

I know someone who has inherited boxes and boxes full of white label test pressings and acetates from recordings made at Abbey Road with many Beatles recordings in there. Of course he knows they are worth "something" but I suspect he doesn't quite know just how much.

I did offer him a tenner for them.. funny.. he didn't take me up on that. ;-)

I did find this on eBay which states no proper test pressings exist for The Beatles LP's

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Beatles-DEMO-FACTORY-SAMPLE-Sgt-Pepper-Mono-LP-1-1-/180586261733

These white labels etc apparently came from one of the engineers who used to work there who archived copies of original test pressings before they were officially released as demo pressings.. One for EMI.. one for me.. I think must of been his ethos. ;-)

I'll find out more when I next see him.. see if I can "borrow" a few as I'm sure he doesn't have a decent turntable to check them out on.

7. billo

billo pfm Member

I know a guy who worked for Granada TV as a sound engineer, he has several acetates of The Beatles which he recorded when they visited the studios, he is saving them for a rainy day, or his children to find in the loft.

8. irons1965

irons1965 pfm Member

9. barrymidd

barrymidd Who me?

Uneasy in what way irons?

10. Rasher

Rasher Quadrophenia land

I agree.
    I could see it in a museum of the macabre, but it's almost a murder weapon. Not a particularly tasteful collectable and it must carry some pretty heavy bad karma.
    I wouldn't want it in my house, or anything to do with it.

Yoko being on it would be the clincher though.

11. lexi

lexi pfm Member

It's a fossil aint it? Like a skeleton of a King with a spear through the ribs.

Creepy investment IMO

12. Sid and Coke

Sid and Coke and so the rebuild continues..

even worse if Chapman claims that it is his property....

13. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

Personally, I'd rather spend £500K on new music ... which could/would last me a lifetime.

14. barrymidd

barrymidd Who me?

Collectors will think differently I assure you.

15. irons1965

irons1965 pfm Member

Sorry Barry I've only just seen your posting- Rasher, lexi and Sid sum it up for me....Macabre is the correct word and morally dubious springs to mind as well.

16. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Crumpets. I can hear crumpets.

Don't you mean 'instant karma'?

17. barrymidd

barrymidd Who me?

I thought you might have doubts as to its authenticity, that is all.
    Not everyones cup of tea, I'm sure but value-wise it is a bargain. Have you any idea how much Damien Hirst's pickled sheep are worth now?

18. irons1965

irons1965 pfm Member

Re: DH....probably worth a mint (sauce).....grabs coat.....

19. prowla

prowla pfm Member

I think the fact that it is an LP is largely irrelevant.

20. Aural

Aural Chris the Full Range fan

I collected all the newspapers at the time (Dec 1980) and have been wondering what to do with them!

John went to Art school next door to my school....met a few times.