1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A&R Cambridge A60 tidy up

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by kicker, Oct 18, 2017.

1. kicker

kicker Member

First listen has presented a couple small issues, the remaining pots are a bit noisy so I have ordered some 22k linear ones to replace them, also I get a hum when touching the volume knob, is this just a matter of earthing the pot housing?

Other than those couple things it is sounding very good so far.

2. Operajulian

Operajulian Opera Julian

I had that problem when replacing the volume pot with an ALPS on one of mine - in fact it also picked up radio until additional earth was run back to the board. I trapped an earth cable to the volume locking nut, soldered it to all the other (old) pots and then crimped it back to a ring tag and screwed to earth. The earth cable is a bit chunky as that is all I had at the time. It solved the problem.

The balance and tone controls are not really worth changing and hard to find a same value match. Have a few goes at contact cleaner and settle for that.

lets see if I can add a link to a photo.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/158915456@N07/37999589696/in/dateposted-public/

Happy listening
    Julian

3. kicker

kicker Member

Awesome, thanks Julian. My fix will probably look much the same as I only have 10A automotive wire at the moment.

4. ansis

ansis pfm Member

I think earthing wire over pots body's was standart on later models, at least thats what I have seen on one I worked on.

5. Andrew.B

Andrew.B pfm Member

Looks good, RS are great for parts :)

6. kicker

kicker Member

My new cover is almost finished, here it is mocked up.
    I just need to seal the underside and glue in the brackets for the screws.

[​IMG]

A bit unusual but I'm a big fan of brutalist architecture and it was easy to make.

7. Durmbo

Durmbo Not French

:D

Until I saw this I thought nothing could outdo either the teak or rimu covers.

Yours has to be the most original and striking amplifier casing I've seen. Might even make it sound better, too ;)

I love it. It's from a concrete block, right? Again, well done.

8. kicker

kicker Member

Cheers!
    It turned out more or less as I was hoping. It's a cast piece, I just made a basic mold to suit the amplifier much the same as the wood cover but thicker and missing the channel the front and rear panels sit in.

9. Operajulian

Operajulian Opera Julian