1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A thread to recommend decent movies on Netflix / Amazon Prime?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Gerard124, Sep 24, 2015.

1. rbrown

rbrown I think therefore I think I am

Just watched Snowden on Netflix, which I’d missed at the cinema. Well worth watching and very well acted. Great if your interested in the back story to Citizen 4.

2. Hook

Hook pfm Member

“Long Shot” on Netflix. It’s a documentary about a murder, a baseball game, and a comedy show. I’ll say no more, other than that the story defies all odds, and is very much worth watching.

3. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

really enjoyed hatari with john wayne on netflix . its an old film but superb animal sequences and the baby elephants are superb . your wives will like it too i think

4. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony pfm Member

I'm enjoying "Jack Whitehall: Travels With My Father", on Netflix. Funny interaction between Jack & his curmudgeonly old dad who likes to use the "F" word to great effect with his posh accent.

5. Wolfmancatsup

Wolfmancatsup Linn Lad

Precinct Seven Five on Netflix is a fascinating documentary on police corruption.

6. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

The Good Place, Netflix original series, kind of fantasy comedy.

7. gassor

gassor "There may be more posts after this."

Some remarkable characters are interviewed and the breakdown of the relationship between the central figures is very engrossing.

8. gassor

Watched it last week, mostly with my mouth wide open in disbelief at the scale of drug activity. Excellent.

9. Alex S

Alex S pfm Member

By pure coincidence I've watched 3 Emily Blunt films in a row - Live Die Repeat (Edge of Tomorrow), The Girl on the Train, Looper. All on Prime, the first surprisingly funny, but think I'll skip Gnomeo & Juliet.

10. wacko

wacko pfm Member

When this got to Page 20 why didn't we all buy Netflix shares ?

11. gassor

Murder, rivalry, revenge, betrayal, corruption and more murder, it's all in Suburra and that's just the good guys! Italo-gangster series with strong leading characters, tight script and wonderful backdrop of Roma. The moral is clear - get involved with bad people and sooner or later there is hell to pay.

Up there with the very best of Netflix.

12. Hook

Hook pfm Member

Enjoyed Suburra very much.

Am now on episode four of Mindhunter. Set in the 1970s, it’s the story of how two FBI agents expand criminal science by being the first to study the psychology of serial murderers. Intelligent dialogue and very well acted. But needless to say, not one for kids or the faint of heart.

13. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Not so interested in the 'dangerous/crazy people living near you' films/tv. I feel like I'm being manipulated by the NRA/Bannon.

14. GaryT

GaryT pfm Member

I just finished the first series of Mindhunter. I really enjoyed it as it dwelt more on the psychology of the criminals than just gore for gore's sake.

15. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

New stranger things season starts tomorrow ;)

16. Wolfmancatsup

Wolfmancatsup Linn Lad

1922, on Netflix. Adaptation of a Stephen King novella. Great central performance from Thomas Jane, and a fairly-close-to-the-source production.

Mick

17. gassor

That is the next on my list before Stranger Things 2 comes along.

18. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

I couldn't get past the dreadful dubbing-awful, reminded me of 1960's children serials like Robinson Crusoe/Pippy Longstocking/Heidi etc, just dire C-list standard voices. If there was a subtitled version I'd watch it.

Mindhunter is great-a slow burner.

19. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony pfm Member

Watched The Handmaiden last night on Amazon Prime. Very erotic, but an excellent story with some great acting. Korean with subtitles.

20. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

Mr Dynamite - profile of James Brown on US Netflix (not sure if it's on UK netflix). It's amazing that his childhood didn't doom him, though it left him with a lot of baggage. An interesting look at one of the most charismatic figures in US music.