1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

ABBA Gold

Discussion in 'music' started by spengenuk, Sep 3, 2017.

1. glancaster

glancaster In the silicon vale

Another underrated pop group ;)

2. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Yes.
    We once received tickets for Aha through the post. A neighbour had clicked on the wrong address when ordering...I was surprised he (for it was he) was a fan. No shame.

3. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

For original studio albums I'll take Voulez-Vous every time. I have the Polar 1995 CD.

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I guess its just me not liking the sound; the early pre-disco stuff too often sounds blended into a mush, drums like wet cardboard boxes, lots of compression etc etc. Very much a 'mixed to sound good on a Dansette' thing to my ears. It got a lot better later though.

5. mellstock

mellstock pfm Member

You have PM.

6. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

I don't recall any Abba material I've heard having an appealing sound. But I've not explored the various options much, just the CD album box set and 'Gold'.

It may or may not be relevant but I don't recall In Through The Out Door or Duke sounding good either, yet they must have gone to Polar for a reason. So it's probably me.

Paul

7. glancaster

glancaster In the silicon vale

Was just listening to a bit of 'Ring Ring', their first, from the CD box set I linked to above. Sounds fine to me, certainly well above average SQ for my collection. Maybe mixing for a Dansette is a good thing ;)

8. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

Like that used for DSOTM........

9. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Likely fine then. As implied upthread I've never been a fan, like say Queen they are one of those band I can respect have excellent craft and compositional skill, yet I just don't get on with the results (to be honest I don't think I've ever really been a pop fan despite liking T. Rex, Bowie etc). My exposure has been via other peoples records and systems and I've always felt they sounded pretty grim!

10. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

Good example of how really good engineers and musicians can accomplish great things despite the limitations of the technology (in some cases they had to resort to second-generation tape copies because they ran out of capacity on the main ones). Alan Parsons was especially disappointed with the quadraphonic mix.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/another-phase-moon

11. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

Trouble is that Alan Parsons is rather dull musically...

Studio technology in the 70s was better than in the 60s, and budgets were bigger. But Abba weren't in that market, I think for all their retro-popularity they still aren't.

1977 saw the release of Abba: The Album, Aja and Animals. I think you could construct a plausible hypothesis about target market, sound style and production values which was independent of the intrinsic quality of the studio technology.

Paul

12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

There is however a pretty much reverse trajectory of skill as technology improved. The art of where to put microphones learnt in the days you had no option but to put them in the right place was largely lost and replace with dreadful close mic'd individual drums, FX rather than natural acoustic space etc. Give me a really good simple jazz or classical recording of the late-50s or early-60s over pretty much anything that came later!

13. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

Absolutely.

The benefit of hindsight...

Paul

14. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

Overall I'd say SQ-wise yes, musically no.

15. andrew d

andrew d pfm Member

16. DGP

DGP pfm Member

A young guy name of Rudolf Ondrich did an interesting comparison of Abba remastering - I've just looked at the dynamic range for my three copies of The Visitors - title track DR comparison
    Original red label Polydor - Dynamic range 12.1dB DR17
    30th Anniversary CD - Dynamic range 10.8dB DR10
    Deluxe Edition 2012 - Dynamic range 11.9dB DR14

That's not the whole story though as the AtoD convertors used to produce the original sound quite grainy and have an odd treble quality. Someone told me to look in charity shops for a silver label Polydor for best sound quality.
    DGP

17. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

Also - because it can't be mentioned enough - see http://dr.loudness-war.info/. This is a community database so you can contribute too.

18. spengenuk

spengenuk pfm Member

Tracked down a non ear bleeder, thanks to Darren and his recommendation of loudnesswarinfo and Discogs. It’s an early silver label Polydor/Polar made in France, more dynamic, maybe a bit muffled compared to the remaster but most importantly more enjoyable to listen to.
    Amazon are confusing regarding different releases, I’ve heard there’s a bar code identifier to narrow things down.