1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Air

Discussion in 'music' started by richgilb, Oct 23, 2017.

1. richgilb

richgilb pfm Member

Just revisiting the late 90s early noughties electronic /ambient stuff that I always liked.

Any fans here? I have Moon safari and Talkie Walkie but know nothing about the rest. Some of the albums seem quite poor but so far The Virgin Suicides is coming in as a pretty good third best.

I was not really in touch back then living in Thailand. Did I miss any less well-known other acts?

2. Euan

Euan pfm Member

The Virgin Suicides is excellent. I can take or leave the rest.

3. waxkinglyrical

waxkinglyrical pfm Member

The first recording, Premiers Symptomes is also very good.

4. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

Premiers/Moon by far the best 2 albums but 10000HZ Legend is pretty good also.

5. Mr Cat

Mr Cat pfm Member

Premiers Symptomes is decent too..

6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Moon Safari is the high water mark by a mile, a superb album, though well worth having Premiers Symtomes and Virgin Suicides too. It is well worth considering Charlotte Gainsbourg’s 5:55 to be an Air album too. It may well be the next best after the ones I mention.

7. richgilb

richgilb pfm Member

Cheers, never knew that one.

8. richgilb

richgilb pfm Member

Listening now....

9. Paul Mc

Paul Mc pfm Member

Have them all and they all offer some great music.

10. MichaelC

MichaelC pfm Member

10'000 Hz Legend is my favourite. Gets regular plays here.

11. SteveB

SteveB Wir sind schaufensterpuppen

Saw them play live about 10 years ago and they were great. Some of it may come across a bit wishy-washy on album but in concert it really rocked.

12. PhilofCas

PhilofCas pfm Member

10 000 hz is a real grower, hang in there and don’t write off any of the tracks, gets better and better the more plays you do, a brilliant album.

13. trick cyclist

trick cyclist pfm Member

^^^Definitely this, though I have and enjoy them all. Their earlier work has more edge.

14. Mr Cat

Mr Cat pfm Member

have ordered that album.. :)

there's also Beth Hirsch's debut album... her follow up isn't as good tho..she was on Moon Safari..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Early-Days...F8&qid=1508831578&sr=1-4&keywords=beth+hirsch

15. Wolfmancatsup

Wolfmancatsup Linn Lad

Yes, we saw them a couple of times and the slighter, quieter tracks do get a nice ‘beefing up’ live.

Mick

16. Sich

Sich Active Member

This.

Never get tired of this album; the production is immense.

17. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Just got a copy of Moon Safari in the local charity shop, I already own it but a 2nd copy in the car will be handy.

18. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Crumpets. I can hear crumpets.

I have Moon Safari and the Virgin Suicides.

Moon Safari is a great album but for a while 'La femme d'argent' was on every TV programme being made and put me off it for a long time - it's probably due a replay.

This is worth getting too:

[youtube]OEZkHZ5o6_I[/youtube]

19. JD68

JD68 Active Member

Nicolas Godin released his solo album Contrepoint last year which is well worth a listen.

20. Chalkstorm

Chalkstorm pfm Member

10,000 hz for me is the high point. The remix album Everybody Hertz is worth tracking down too. they got some bad press for the album at the time and seems they went back to the more sugary moon safari stuff, shame.

10,000 hz is some of the best vinyl i own too, one i always use to test out new bits of kit.