1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Amplifier with dac

Discussion in 'audio' started by Conan, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Conan

Conan Loop digger

I just sold my Naim Unitiqute as I was not happy with the sound quality. I currently have a Nait 2 which I much prefer however I am looking for an amplifier with dac and remote control to replace the Unitiqute.
    Not only it must sound good but I also take aesthetics in consideration so no massive jap amps (I also have one of those).
    What are the options?

2. Strictly Stereo

Strictly Stereo Trade: Strictly Stereo

What's your budget? Hegel has a few options starting with the new H90 model at £1,500. Hegel's integrated amps all feature a very clean aesthetic. If you are looking for a half-width component then the Exposure XM5 is excellent value at £1,236. Both options include asynchronous USB as well as optical and coaxial S/PDIF inputs. Hegel's integrated amplifiers also include built-in streaming.

3. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 Expert in sheep worrying.

How about Heed Audio, the Elixir amp and Dactilus although may well fit the bill. Although two boxes, they’re very compact and they’re very elegant looking too... performance isn’t too shabby either. Or How about Rega’s Alternatives? You should pop yourself down to Sound Cinergy (no affiliation) for a look/listen.

4. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

5. Conan

Conan Loop digger

I had many amplifiers including Rega, Naim XS, Exposure XXV and I always end going back to the little Nait 2. I don't listen to music at loud volume and the little Nait 2 suits my needs. Problem is that I also use it for TV and there is no remote control. Maybe a dac with remote would fit the bill?

6. PerF

PerF Private

I have a remote controlled Heed Obelisk w/dactilus card for sale

Nothing wrong with looks or performance, it might even better a Nait 2

7. linnfomaniac83

Possibly yes, I don’t know what’s out there at sensible money though short of trawling through eBay... and on that note, something like this might work. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peachtre...564979?hash=item2390585b33:g:~~AAAOSwvjdZSNGV

Or an inexpensive remote controlled preamp to sit between your existing dac and your Nait, I picked up a Myryad z40 headphone amp/pre for Perflemming earlier this week and shipped it out to him yesterday, I didn’t unbox it because it wasn’t mine but even from lifting the box, it was evident that it had some real heft for a small box and was clearly a well built product. It doesn’t include a remote but will work with any Philips RC5 unit, Peter Tyson have them for £99 and that would add remote volume control to your current setup.

Artioneer likes this.
  8. linnfomaniac83

And how’s that for a coincidence, Per posted whilst I was writing my post!

I’d definitely consider Per’s offer, he’s a good guy to deal with and the Heed products are very nice indeed. It’s an all in one solution that has a very similar footprint to your Nait.

9. mr sneff

mr sneff pfm Member

I have a Peachtree decco, which replaced a Naim 32.5/110 combo. The Peachtree is the best integrated I've owned. The built in DAC works well with my CD player and Audioengine Bluetooth receiver, Raspberry Pi is great via line in too.

10. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

Densen is svelte, Naim-like in sound and have a range of integrated amps to which a DAC board can be added.

11. nbaptista

nbaptista pfm Member

+1 for Densen.

12. tomek

tomek pfm Member

SH Supernait ?

I can understand. Now, for the second time in my long hifi history after trying numberless integrated and pre/power combinations i am listening again with Nait 2 ...

13. Conan

Conan Loop digger

Many people slate the little Nait 2 but this is the amplifier that gives me more joy regardless of what speakers I throw at it.

14. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

Bryston or perhaps the Superuniti

15. Conan

Conan Loop digger

What about the Quad Vena?
    Anyone used it?

16. Strictly Stereo

Strictly Stereo Trade: Strictly Stereo

Auralic Polaris?

17. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

The NAIT2 made me realise how expensive 52/135s are in the pursuit of the musical grail. It gives 95% of the latter's performance at a sliver of their price.

18. Cirkus

Cirkus pfm Member

I would look to Teddy Pardo's offerings .... you will find him an excellent chap to deal with. It does take some time for the product to bed in ... discuss it with him. Quality, Service, Reliability & Customer Service all in one package

19. clogman

clogman pfm Member

Primare are great imho.
    Got av great deal on i32 with MM30 board, which gives it same functionality pretty much as Uniqute but at full width and no headphones out.
    Beats the new Naim all-in-one into a cocked hat. Including the top one.
    Not heard new Primare units yet.
    Moon may also be an option, although I personally found it to lack a bit of engagement.

20. Conan

Conan Loop digger

I'm currently using a JVC AX 1010.
    It is truly amazing.
    It has dac, remote control, power and it controls my Royd Merlin speakers. Sound is powerful and tight. It is all I need, except it is huge and does not fit on my tv rack. How much would I have to spend to get the same performance from a more up to date product?