1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Amplifier with dac

Discussion in 'audio' started by Conan, Nov 9, 2017.

1. htm_1968

htm_1968 pfm Member

I had great results with a Gato DIA250 driving a pair of ART Alnico 8s. The Gato is an excellent amp, and despite being a 250W per channel class D design, is a really subtle performer. Nice taught bass without an ounce of flab, no sheen or overhang on the high frequencies and really excellent soundstaging. The DAC is really very good too. There are usually copies to be had second hand. The DIA400 is excellent too, but I'm not sure I can ever see myself needing 400W per channel.

2. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

OP, not sure what your budget is, nor what speakers you are using, but for a relatively inexpensive system, using fairly efficient speakers, I'd say the NuForce DDA120 might be worth considering. I have one doing duties for the TV and DVD, via a pair of Focal Domes (which are very small, and not all that efficient). Unobtrusive to the point of near-invisibility, but excellent SQ and enough welly for the purpose. Not ideal if you're a metalhead, perhaps, as the 50W output is not as grunty as 50 Class A watts would be, for example.

3. Conan

Conan Loop digger

Thanks for the suggestions. Budget is £1000

4. PerF

PerF Private

If a Nait 2 is reference basic, I'd hardly think a class D amp will do it

Perhaps get a little dac to hide behind the shelf/amp, never used a seperate dac on old Naits myself though, so hardly experienced advise

5. Conan

Conan Loop digger

Audiolab M dac?

6. badlyread

badlyread pfm Member

I sold my CB Nait 2 and now have an Exposure XM5. Wonderful, musical piece of kit. Give it a try.

7. teddy_pardo

teddy_pardo Trade: Teddy Pardo

8. jtrade

jtrade pfm Member

I know what you mean about the bulk of the Z1010... but it could be both much cheaper and sonically less risky to buy a new rack !?

9. DAVEDWACK

DAVEDWACK pfm Member

Yep, what Jtrade said, for sure.

10. Strictly Stereo

Strictly Stereo Trade: Strictly Stereo

Bluesound PowerNode 2?

11. davidavdavid

davidavdavid EARWAG

In a word, NO. There are far better options out there.

12. Conan

Conan Loop digger

Since I'm happy with the JVC I will look out for a rack that can accommodate it