1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Any decent port on offer?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by muzzer, Dec 14, 2016.

1. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

^ Theatre...

[​IMG]

Slumming it...

2. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Battling with his furnace

If anyone out there is in the market for a couple of bottles ^^^ I might be able to help...!

At the other end of the scale the nice man from Sainsbury’s has just delivered my £11.50 Graham’s Crusted - yippee!

3. rdf

rdf pfm Member

'77 was a good year alright. Properly good port is getting ridiculously expensive these days. It's certainly not the bargain it was.

4. narabdela

narabdela who?

Amazon are doing Grahams 6 Grapes at £13.09 with free delivery if you have Prime.

Suffolk Tony likes this.
  5. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Box-swapper extraordinaire

We bought six (well, it is nearly Christmas!), and decanted one this evening for a taste.

Very nice indeed. Not quite the depth of a vintage, but for £11 or so, stonking good value. Thanks for the heads up.

6. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Battling with his furnace

Glad you enjoyed it! It really is crazy value at that price - I’ll probably pick up another couple of bottles before the offer closes on December 12.

7. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony pfm Member

Ta! Ordered some today.

8. eguth

eguth pfm Member

I buy vintage port enprimeur, and also some single quinta. I usually do not like LBV and prefer plain ordinary ruby for a casual sniff. However, this year my local ALDI sells Maynards LBV for under £10, so I had a go, and ended up with two more bottles. It should be decanted, and even with just a cork in the bottle will last 3-4 days, no problems at room temp.

https://cdn.aldi-digital.co.uk/Maynard's-2013-LBV-Port-A.jpg?o=3nD2ZY6@wfPUdsoLZ6W35140blMj&V=XsG5&w=480&h=600&p=2&q=77

Maynards is a very old Port House. I believe it was founded before the 17th century.

9. gassor

gassor "There may be more posts after this."

TAylors First Estate Reserve usually about £11-£13 is now £8.00 in Asda and very nice it is too.

10. eguth

eguth pfm Member

Thanks for this. I went to my local Asda (not a shop I like to frequent) and bought two. Good drop of port- I have had it before.

It it not well known that you can lay down ruby for a year and it will improve (slightly). I have done this. Andrew Jefford (an authority) disagrees.

I'll pop down for another two in due course, and stash it in my wardrobe on top of the obsolete trousers for use next Xmas. Prices will go up next year- trust me.

11. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

I have always felt that, whilst there are uses for Ruby Port, actually drinking it isn't one of them. It can put some heart into your casserole, I guess.

12. gintonic

gintonic Pussy Lover

Having spent a good few summers in the winery's and with the port makers of the Upper Douro Valley, I agree. Ok for using in cocktail making as well.

If you talk to the people in the houses at Grahams, Taylors, Kopke, Fonsecca etc etc, they make a huge effort to brand and produce product specially to sell in the UK - using specially selected titles like "reserve", "special edition", "First Estate" - which when you decode them are meaningless.

13. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

Exact.

14. eguth

eguth pfm Member

There are differences in taste between various ruby ports, some of them significant. Its a matter of personal taste and preference. I would not dream of putting ruby into a casserole or stew unless the recipe specifically called for port. I always use the dregs after decanting vintage port for this purpose. If anyone knows of any better use for it I would like to hear it.

In my opinion, a good ruby is a lot better than a mediocre one, and a far cry from that which used to be on tap in British pubs during the 60s.

15. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

[​IMG]
    MMM USB-C.

Stephen

16. gintonic

gintonic Pussy Lover

just opened a bottle of this for cooking with.

[​IMG]

for an LBV that has been hanging around for far too long in the bottle, it isn't bad. My dad gave it to me a few weeks ago, it had been sat in the back of a cupboard for about 10+ years when some he knew gave it to him. Taylor's don't usually filter their LBV so it is intended to be drunk upon release. This shouldn't bottle age, but hanging around in the bottle has not appeared to have done it any harm.