1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone For Music From The "Eastern" Med'?

Discussion in 'music' started by Vinny, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

This is going to cover a HUGE range of music, but there is a great deal that should entertain the Western ear, but seldom does apart from when they are on holiday.
    How about these for starters, both generally labelled as jazz, although the Taksim Trio play a wide range of music besides. Anouar is Tunisian (so perhaps not really E Med'), and the trio are Turkish - neither of the videos is "typical", as both play/write in a range of styles.

venton and Caliente like this.
  2. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Being a fan of a lot of flamenco, this fusion I find rather good -

3. Caliente

Caliente pfm Member

Interesting - indeed - have not bothered much with the ECM catalogue recently, but the Anouar Brahem deserves further investigation.

I'm more of a Balkan aficionado - and listen to the likes of Lala Kovacev and was enjoying some Dusko Gojkovic earlier on tonight.

4. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

YouTube vid's at random for those -

This is very good, but it does not get my toes tapping as I'd like - I shall now investigate (Serbian) :)

.......while this is much nearer my spot - very, very nice - (Serbian, vocalist - Céline Rudolph? - German) -

5. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

I have a few albums by Ms Aksu, this is probably my favourite track...

6. venton

venton pfm Member

Excellent thread. I love discovering new music. My tastes are ridiculously wide, last night I was listening to Brandenburg concertos followed by Baxter Dury!

7. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

........only one down side to that - the cost and the torture of choosing as no pocket is limitless.

Ms Aksu is Turkish BTW, thanks for the contribution Stuns'.

A couple more, apologies if this seems to have got jazz-centric, but Tunisia seems to be a hot-bed of rather fine jazz - I have browsed some vey fine E Med' ballads and pop in the past, I will try to dig them up and post links to make amends......... -

Incredibly moving, beautiful, not sure if I’d buy, still trying to get to grips with this Middle Eastern jazz – Dhafer Youssef (Tunisian) -

plus something a little different (Israeli) -

vince rocker likes this.
  8. Caliente

Caliente pfm Member

I do like a lot of George Avramidis - and have communicated with him via FB. My favourite at the mo...

9. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

This is Turkish, but to me typifies music from much of the E Med'/Arabia, but with a modern slant -

This is just totally wonderful, moving music, but a bit of a con' when viewed against the thread title - the player is French-American but he plays the duduk - a Turkish/Armenian instrument in particular -

Some more beautiful music, but from a Syrian/Armenian -

A bit of a cop-out again, because the group are nominally French, but lyrics are Arabic -

10. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Small point, Turkey is in the Eastern Mediterranean.

11. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

[​IMG]
    From Turkey and Armenia, so more Black Sea than Med.

12. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

I think you misread my comment, presumably my first, perhaps better presented as -

"This is Turkish, but to me typifies music from much of the whole of the E Med'/Arabia, but with a modern slant -" ?

13. vince rocker

vince rocker pfm Member

Dhafer Youssef is great, all his albums are worth getting. Go see him live if you get the chance, he plays and sings transcendental, beautiful music and then is a big smiley bloke between numbers. Plus he often has Eyvind Aarset in his band.

14. mercalia

mercalia pfm Member

Ofra Haza anyone? shame she died

15. Caliente

Caliente pfm Member

16. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

I bought Haza’s LP of Yemenite songs when it was released in the U.K.

17. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Another person that I have a few albums of is Tarkan, again Turkish. The album Aacayipsin is pretty good, in particular the opening track Hepsi Senin Mi.

18. Caliente

Caliente pfm Member

In 2016 many tears were shed over the passing of Bowie, Price and Micheal, but the greatest loss was Esma Redzepova.

She had a truly amazing and utterly powerful voice which was mixed with absolute control. Her voice at the end was almost still as strong.