1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Apple HomePod - The Audiophile Perspective

Discussion in 'audio' started by dogbait, Feb 12, 2018.

1. dogbait

dogbait pfm Member

Mine arrived today, been a few hours. Placed it on a desk with a wall behind it (seems to be Apple's ideal setup according to pictures of it) and gave it 15 mins to do its calibration thing.

It's pretty stunning. I haven't been this impressed since I picked up a pair of Devialet Phantoms.

If you're a Roon user this thing is the ideal endpoint for rooms where critical listening is not required.

Jonboi likes this.
  2. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

Can it be used as a Roon endpoint? I thought it was tied to Apple Music?? If so and it will play tidal through Roon then I might be tempted to get one for the kitchen/diner..?

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

It is Airplay so you can stream anything on your Apple device to it.

PS I don’t actually know what Roon is!

Jonboi likes this.
  4. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

Oh Tony! I am surprised!!

So when nothing is playing and you want Siri to start playing Roon - can you??

5. amazement

amazement pfm Member

So can it play anything from a nas or is it strictly apple or iTunes?

6. Nero

Nero It's unlikely

So, how do you measure end to end performance?

7. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

If you can stream from your NAS via AirPlay then it can play from your NAS yes. From what I’ve been reading if you want to get Siri to play music starting from silence but only with voice-control then you need to use Apple Music. But if you stream any of your music sources by airplay using an iOS device(s), then you can use a HomePod as an AirPlay speaker.. you can even (with Spotify for example) say ‘Hey Siri play next track’ and it will.

One huge annoyance for me is that it won’t play the radio via Siri (but you can stream via the iPlayer app (airplay again) for example)

Secondly, It’s really very very very annoying that I can’t play my iTunes library (my own burned cd’s) on a HomePod via Siri without paying Apple £9.99 a month!

8. Strictly Stereo

Strictly Stereo Trade: Strictly Stereo

According to the specs, the HomePod supports AirPlay, so it should be possible to use it with Roon as an AirPlay endpoint.

9. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

No need to get a pair, a single Homepod outperforms all known hi-fi. There are measurements. “Hey Siri, what does hype mean?”

10. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

But you certainly should get one to replace your Kiis and Dutch and Dutch’s, for a single Homepod measure much better than either, using exactly the microphone and measurement software you use, and the reviewer says they are better than the KEFs too.

Of course, it might just be that not everything you read on the internet is true.

Jonboi likes this.
  11. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

When they introduce the stereo facility I will get a pair and compare them to my/our ATCs, the ATCs have greater bass extension so it won’t be exactly like for like.
    Keith

12. wyjsar

wyjsar Nothing but heart

Have you ever heard an Apple HomePod?

13. radamel

radamel pfm Member

Not yet. But I am very curious indeed!

Have you?

14. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

Two of them will be enough to replace an orchestra and choir at the Royal Albert Hall, three will fill Madison Square Gardens, there’s no limit to what software can do.

15. amazement

amazement pfm Member

Really interested in this but would need it to stream my own ripped music and internet radio before I part with cash, also looking at Sonos or a muso qb. For an Apple product I expected a higher price.

16. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

That's the only other product I'm interested in. Would be interesting to know which sounds better but then the Muso is more than twice the price.

17. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

It is Airplay, you can stream whatever you like to it from any Airplay compatible device (e.g. iPhone, iPad, Mac etc). Stream to a stereo pair once Airplay 2 comes out.

18. Jonboi

Jonboi Because Music Matters

I like it. i would envisage a pair as desktop speakers for my Mac, when they bring out the firmware update to allow stereo. They're A$500 here, so A$1,000 for a fully active 8 speaker/8 driver device x 2, with onboard DSP x 2 is sensational value for money, especially if the sound holds up to initial reviews.

19. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

Not sure why the hype because every review I have read says the midrange is not great. Mind you I haven't read every review.

20. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I bet that will improve exponentially in a stereo pair when all the seven BMRs can deal with one channel rather than trying to fake stereo from a single location.