1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony L, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I find bright text on a black background gives me eye-burn, I hate it when I end up on some of the tech/hacker/gaming type forums that like them as if I look away from the screen at a white wall or something I can see light rows. I guess I must be in a minority, and I suspect it is very much a modern LCD screen thing as I don’t remember it at all from the old green or amber screen mono CRTs I started computing on. It is one reason I've been very reluctant to go in that direction, i.e. not only do I feel they are ugly as hell, but they hurt my eyes too.

FWIW I do most of my browsing on an iPad these days, so a small but very high-res screen that automatically adjusts to ambient light level. My room lighting is pretty low/ambient which may also be a factor.

2. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

don.

can you point me to any sci-fi show (or CSI-style creation) that features computers doing paper illusionism? you will all be embarrassed by your choices/tastes when AI takes over ;-)

on a related note, why al the hostility to people using their computers as they see fit? do you want to decorate my house too and choose my cycling outfit for me?

3. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

tony.

i thought you claimed to be a big form following function kind of guy? why bombard the person with light and make them read the few bits that are darkened out? part of the problem is that the lighting people use with their computers as all wrong -- again, meant for a paper-based office of the mid 20th century.

4. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

p.s. i love secretaries. secretaries are my favourite people. in my work, i place the secretaries way above those who are officially their capitalist "superiors".

5. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

sadly not, just a piss take of a very odd neighbour

6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Except I an in the overwhelming majority here. All major content providers use dark on light. All the news media, all the newspapers, Facebook, Twitter, Google, Amazon, Wikipedia etc etc etc. The dark skins are almost exclusively gamers, hackers etc, it is just a minority thing as it isn’t as good!

7. DonQuixote99

DonQuixote99 pfm Member

I know life imitates art a lot, but that's just a matter taste and aesthetics. I don't see how you can make a case for objective utility based on how non-functional pretend equipment props are designed! And my comment on dashboards stands. Different context. And you do want dark backgrounds when you need to protect the night vision of operators.

And you call this hostility? :D:D:D

8. DonQuixote99

DonQuixote99 pfm Member

D'oh! The reason you see dark screen with glowing text in the movies/TV is they want to shoot the screens to be read by the viewer, and it's hard to get a good exposure of a light-colored light-emitting screen, tends to show up blank. That's a limitation of cameras compared to eyes.

9. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

oh come on! don. next time you are enjoying a "good wife" rerun with your partner, please note the screen colours on their debranded macbooks.

this is a logical "vision" of the future (from 2 decades ago), nothing to do with filming:

[​IMG]

the reason we are not their yet is because of culture of fear surrounding computer use for most people. i deal with it very week.

10. glancaster

glancaster In the silicon vale

I'm not sure there is anything innately superior about dark text on light background over the opposite, provided the contrast between the two is set appropriately. Our preference is likely due to skeumorphism - had we favoured chalk on slate rather than ink on paper prior to the invention of the computer, I suspect light text on dark background would be the norm.

11. DonQuixote99

DonQuixote99 pfm Member

Your 'Star-Trek' example is a piece of graphic art, and has nothing to do with the design of actual data systems in the past or the future. I continue to think a driving requirement was the need for ease in obtaining good imaging in film shots that included both the computer displays and surroundings. Plus the desired 'futuristic' aesthetics. But usefulness as a data system was 'not on the radar!'

You may find the discussion here interesting, concerning the readability of text-intensive displays in airliner cockpits: https://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/3282/what-is-the-best-color-combination-for-on-screen-reading

One comment, found down the page a little:
    Further down, though, there is a comment by a programmer who's preferences match yours....

12. gary1064

gary1064 pfm Member

I’m channeling my inner Terry-Thomas. Just waiting for an opportunity to call you lot an “absolute shower!” :)

13. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Lets not forget also that a predominantly white background would ruin night vision, which might explain why cockpit and dashboard graphics are dark backgrounds with lighter information, rather than the reverse. If so, that really isn't to do with legibility.

14. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

He hasn't aged at all; he's just in time for the British winter.

15. DonQuixote99

DonQuixote99 pfm Member

Not forgotten, in fact the person I quoted goes on to address that point.

16. Dinovector

Dinovector pfm Member

Now you've changed, was that a Ric and superbass in your old avatar?

17. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

Why not have a dark background skin as an option so that people can choose it if they want to?

18. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’ll consider it. The main problem is I’ve never seen one I like the look of yet, they all look like teenage hacker/warez/hardcore gamers sites to me and don’t really sit with what pfm is about. There is also a lot of work involved in really getting a skin right, this one has taken me several very, very long days of work and I’m still not quite where I want to be, so it will be a while off! Other requests, e.g. a higher contrast variant of this skin would be far easier so I’ll get to them first if there is a requirement.