1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Bands that should have split earlier in their career

Discussion in 'music' started by Nigel, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

Very true
    Alt-j... meh

Oasis should never have begun with Liam on vocals, that nasal whine, makes me shiver.

2. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Box-swapper extraordinaire

LOL

3. Vinniemac

Vinniemac pfm Member

I would add XTC to that list.

4. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Crumpets. I can hear crumpets.

Amon Duul II should have given up after 'Live in London'; it all got a bit 'average' from then on.

5. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

I've never understood this idea that artists should stop after "their best work".
    - "best work" in whose opinion? The artist's? The critics? The punters, who pay to listen and presumably derive some satisfaction from the experience?
    - critical opinion changes with time. New ideas take time to make their way, people revisit and re-evaluate things and sometimes find what they missed the first time round. Van Gogh was never commercially successful, and there are many musical equivalents.
    - artists create for a variety of reasons: some are driven, some need to make a living, some just can't think of anything better to do, etc. Who are we to tell them to stop?

I wouldn't pay £10 to go to listen to Pink Floyd these days, but if they're willing to play and people are willing to listen to them, who's to complain?

6. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

Somebody should have told Queen to stop.

7. lsinclair

lsinclair file under 'curmudgeonly'

It wasn’t possible, they were having such a good time, having a ball, yeah.

8. Natara

Natara pfm Member

I think Paul Weller split up The Jam at the perfect time and to date has resisted any temptation to reform them and yes I know many of you think he should have quit himself long ago but I'm just talking about The Jam here.

9. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

...if you can tolerate the baby talk. I can't.

Two recent examples, where the singer is obviously on a different talent and marketability level to the rest of the band are Alabama Shakes and Black Keys. And true to form, Brittany Howard and Dan Auerbach have been lured away and into solo careers that just aren't as interesting as what they did before. But that's what producers and record company suits do.

10. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Well, if holding The Jam together long past their sell-by date would have postponed or even eliminated the emergence of Style Council, then it would have been a net good thing.

ciderglider likes this.
  11. herb

herb music live

Having been there from the start I think that the Rolling Stones should have disbanded when Brian Jones died. But they then did quite well I suppose underJagger/Richards. Will they ever quit?

12. Natara

Natara pfm Member

You just couldn't help yourself could you.

13. lsinclair

lsinclair file under 'curmudgeonly'

I reckon they would have done if the Beatles had broken up by then (ie during the Let It Be recordings.)

14. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

Steely Dan, The Beatles, Kraftwerk, Spirit, King Crimson and The Feelies spring to mind as bands that have near flawless extensive studio catalogues.

Whereas loads of metal and punk bands have forged 40 year careers playing to audiences that only want to hear stuff off their first 4 or 5 albums. I can’t stand Iron Maiden, but I admire their bloody mindedness for playing the whole of their latest studio album to a festival crowd.

15. Colonel_Mad

Colonel_Mad pfm Member

Couldn't the Beatles have got together half way through their career? Shame they're blighted by all that "I love you, you love me, let's all go to the lavatory" nonsense that's irrelevant to anyone who wasn't 15 in the early 1960s.

Half Man Half Biscuit are another to add to the list of bands whose consistency warrants them not splitting up. About 13 albums now and almost impossible to order from best to worst. Consistent standard, no duff tracks. If you like their Plan A, and don't mind them not having a Plan B, they're unsurpassed in that respect.

16. neildalton

neildalton Member

Roxy Music at FYP; Floyd, sans-Syd, was a century of shit; NERD should have confined their efforts to a few killer 45s, as should B52s and the Pistols; the Roches should have left it with their debut; the Stones at Goat's Head Soup. Then there's The Byrds and the Beach Boys. David Bowie should have gone on holiday after Heroes, and not returned until he was ready to make The Next Day. Someone should have spoken to the Black Keys when they wandered into the studios with Turn Blue under their arm.

On the other hand, though, what are these guys going to do? They have no other skills.

17. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Wow, that’s a bit harsh! Lots of later stuff I love by many of those bands. Whilst Roxy and Floyd both changed line-up with large impact I’d still give them to Avalon and The Wall respectively. The B52’s first album is an absolute classic and the next three are well worth having. Bowie had a wobble after the superb Scary Monsters album, but came back strongly later with 1. Outside and remained strong from that point (Earthling being a bit of a dip for me). The Pistols only had one album in them, two if you count the official bootleg Spunk.

18. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

Pre-Animals PF is rubbish IMO!

19. rbrown

rbrown I think therefore I think I am

I’ll add Dire Straits, who went rapidly downhill after Communique imho.

Rich

20. neildalton

neildalton Member

I recall seeing Dire Sraits a few times at the start (c. 1977/8).

They were atrocious. Somehow, though, with the passage of time, they managed to get worse.

wyjsar likes this.