1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Bargain Box Sets

Discussion in 'music' started by merlin, Nov 14, 2013.

1. fasterbyelan

fasterbyelan time, your greatest asset

2. dan m

dan m pfm Member

Tony,

For those of us in the US would adding amazon.com links also help out pfm?

Dan

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Yes, all are welcome!

4. dan m

dan m pfm Member

OK, then "The Complete Prestige Recordings" 3-disc set of Monk looks tempting at $16-

"Monk recorded for Prestige as a leader and sideman between October 1952 (after leaving Blue Note) and December 1954 (before bolting for Riverside). Prestige's initial LPs sliced and diced these sessions, but they're here in chronological order, all 33 memorable tracks on 3 CDs! Drummer Art Blakey joins in on Bye-Ya and Monk's Dream ; Max Roach beats the skins on Trinkle Trinkle; Reflections , and Bemsha Swing , and bassist Percy Heath visits for Nutty; Work , and Blue Monk . Triumphant!"

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Prestige-Recordings-Thelonious-Monk/dp/B00004UETR

edit: shoot, I have 2 out of 3 of these on vinyl - here are the three albums:

Thelonious Monk Trio (Prestige 7027), 1952–4
    Monk (Prestige 7053) recorded 1953-4
    Thelonious Monk and Sonny Rollins (Prestige 7075), recorded 1953-4

A Sony Rollins 5 CD set seems a bit of a bargain.

Original Album Classis

5. roach

roach pfm Member

6. Martin M

Martin M Crueller than April

The price of this boxset rattles up and down all over the place. Current it is £10. It can £30. Anyway, it is sublime. The music is concise and beautifully played. The recording is superbly realised. The audience bordering on rude. Buy this before it is deleted and be satisfied that the woman who yaps through some amazing music probably died years ago....

7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The Bill Evans At Village Vanguard box linked in Martin's post above is simply incredible value at a tenner! One of my most played CDs, an amazing recording of an amazing performance.

8. Martin M

Martin M Crueller than April

And while I'm thinking of it....this is a classic boxset that charts the development of funk. It also includes many of the count-ins to the records and they alone are pretty memorable.

9. bibi50

bibi50 pfm Member

10. fasterbyelan

fasterbyelan time, your greatest asset

Totally agree, some of the finest music commited to disc

11. Sloop John B

Sloop John B pfm Member

James Brown and Bill Evans just purchased, great thread.

12. Vinniemac

Vinniemac pfm Member

13. aquapiranha

aquapiranha pfm Member

14. Vinniemac

Vinniemac pfm Member

I wondered why it was so cheap.

15. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

This Original Album Classics box collects Sonny Rollin's classic RCA stuff and is both legit and utterly superb. Anyone who doesn't have a copy of The Bridge and Sonny Meets Hawk should buy it immediately. THAT'S RIGHT NOW! Just essential stuff.

16. Blurboy

Blurboy pfm Member

Really fancy the Ry Cooder box set but truthfully what is the quality of the recordings like?

17. shrink

shrink pfm Member

18. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

It's getting excellent comments over on Steve Hoffman's site, apparently very nicely done.

19. EIffel

EIffel Cereal Killer

Great, if expensive, thread! Got the Simon & Garfunkel, Sunny Rollin and Bill Evans sets and am very tempted by the Vogue Vintage Jazz... Thanks a lot!

20. samz

samz pfm Member

Just received Donny Hathaway Original Album Series 5 CD set and playing Donny Hathaway Live from this box set now, really nice sound great vocalist and superb musicians.