1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Bargain Box Sets

Discussion in 'music' started by merlin, Nov 14, 2013.

1. mjw

mjw pfm Member

Good find - ordered.

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Me too!

3. guey

guey pfm Member

I mentioned it in the WAYLTN thread, so better put it here as well - The Durutti Column - Domo Arigato Deluxe. It includes the original mix, a remix of the entire show, a previously unreleased live recording from Japan, and a DVD of the edited show.
    3CDs and a DVD for less than 15 quid ain't bad I'd say

4. lsinclair

lsinclair file under 'curmudgeonly'

Even for us non-Primers it's only £6.99, so worth a punt. I won't believe it until it's in my hands, though!

Oddly, according to camelcamelcamel it has been listed by Amazon for a month and never above this price.

5. gustavm

gustavm pfm Member

Also ordered. Its not going to win any prizes for the cover artwork though.....

6. windhoek

windhoek pfm Member

Looks like the bargain of the century is over as the price has increased to £3.94 - thank goodness I got my order in at £3.93!

7. jackbarron

jackbarron Stamford Bridge KGB

I thought about buying it, but wasn't familiar with Richter's work. Had a listen and decided not to. He plays the piano like he is beating it with his fists.

Jack

8. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

WHaaa?

9. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

He's right - Richter's live playing could be (and often was) abysmal, a local radio commentator even said 'like a pig'. But on other days there was no pianist who could fascinate you the way Richter did. Buying a concert ticket for Richter was either an investment for life or a total loss.

10. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

My introduction to Richter was a Live at Carnegie Hall LP from a charity shop and this track struck me:
    [youtube]-XEklGdRT6c[/youtube]
    I'm no expert but his playing seemded mesmeric and sensitive. Granted it appears he had off days as well.

11. Paul Mc

Paul Mc pfm Member

Got it too.

12. lsinclair

lsinclair file under 'curmudgeonly'

Wow! Now I'm really looking forward to getting it!

13. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

I'm quite familiar with Richter's work. He was one of a handful of the most important pianists of the 20th century and his recordings of some works remain definitive. That his live playing was inconsistent is well known; but this is not a characteristic unique to him. Two points: 1) On his day nobody but nobody could control the instrument like Richter. His ability to create a wealth of colour remains miraculous in my view. 2) I would love to have seen Richter live even on a bad day, just to say I'd been there.

14. Vinniemac

Vinniemac pfm Member

Too good to be true, but ordered anyway. Thanks for the heads up, DavidD.

15. mjw

mjw pfm Member

16. davidjt

davidjt pfm Member

Not sure whether this link will work (if not maybe someone will kindly fix it?), amazon insist I should order this, for delivery in three weeks.
    Only in Todd's 3rd division, but 9 CDs for £15.40 is still a bargain, and I for one really enjoy Kovacevich's Beethoven.

And this one would actually be delivered, for a change.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0714GDHFM/ref=s9u_new

17. GJO

GJO pfm Member

18. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

19. Wolfmancatsup

Wolfmancatsup Linn Lad

...and back up to £11.56!

20. windhoek

windhoek pfm Member

3Camels says the £9.70 price was from a third-party seller, not Amazon itself.

[​IMG]