1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Bargain Box Sets

Discussion in 'music' started by merlin, Nov 14, 2013.

1. gustavm

gustavm pfm Member

2. davidjt

davidjt pfm Member

Having browsed the Decca website, I notice there's a Kovacevich Box-Set on Decca which includes the Beethoven Concertos as well as Sonatas and Bagatelles, for £14.49. If I really needed more LvB it would seem a better bargain than the forthcoming Warner set, but are the overlapping pieces the same performances/recordings?

Apart from the fact that most back-catalogues now seem to be the property of Sony (and one other?) I've lost track of who owns whom. Does anyone know of a single website which identifies which recordings have been re-issued by different labels (and whether re-mastered first)? Or which contains discographies (unlike Wikipedia) that concentrate on the recording as opposed to publication?

There are some performances I now have 3 or more copies of - partly a by-product of box collecting, but occasionally due to clever marketing of a re-issue in disguise.

3. lsinclair

lsinclair file under 'curmudgeonly'

4. Dave Cattlin

Dave Cattlin pfm Member

ordered mine 25th July

5. Dave Cattlin

Dave Cattlin pfm Member

showing a delivery date in October

Dave

6. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Box-swapper extraordinaire

They may have just sold out their allocation. Mine is still scheduled for delivery.

7. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Buggers have "disappeared" my order!

8. narabdela

narabdela who?

Same here.

9. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

Has anyone ever got a copy of this item ?

Due to the illegal (well, according to the will of the interpret) status of some of the recordings on it, unless Richters' heirs have decided otherwise, this looked fishy to me from the outset. The cheap-looking presentation as well as the rock-bottom price tag don't suggest otherwise either.

10. lsinclair

lsinclair file under 'curmudgeonly'

I think is is kosher, but mispriced. It can be found on a few other European sites including HMV Ireland, at around 35-40€ and with the same release date.

11. windhoek

windhoek pfm Member

My copy of the Richter box set is still active at Amazon and still scheduled for delivery on 31st October.

12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Mine too.

13. As is my brother in laws.
    Amazon have a long tradition/habit of after getting loads of orders at a price a month or a few weeks just before said release date of removing listings Saying currently not available We don't know when this item will be back in stock.
    If its a very limited edition its down to stock numbers allocated, but 9 times out of 10 they list it again a day or two just before its release at a much higher price.

14. Paul Mc

Paul Mc pfm Member

And mine.

15. You would think amazon with there buying power and no tax paying skills could keep prices down??
    Whats happened over the last year or two is The big Record companies are now doing the same selling online.
    Universal records now have four sites under different names selling exactly the same but at different prices.
    Its making it even harder for independents and record shops.
    Thats the reason I like Tim at whatrecords he pays his tax and sells albums at the best price possible and gives great service.:cool:

16. davidjt

davidjt pfm Member

Probably already familiar to bargain hunters, but the 'Milestones of a Legend' series, ranging from Glen Miller to Yusuf Lateef to Lorin Maazel, 10 cds at around a quid each are great value.

Not SOTA recording quality, as you would expect since some date from the thirties or forties, but I was pleasantly surprised by 50s sound - the Annie Fischer set in particlar is full of gems. There are one or two 'Great Pianists of the 20th Century' cds I never play as I find the noise level too distracting but with these sets, so far, so good.

17. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

18. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Snap

Pete