1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Beatles - Remastered

Discussion in 'music' started by andyoz, Sep 6, 2009.

1. JTC

JTC Saint Alphonso!

Tony, Tony, Tony, how could you possibly miss that? :)

Count me in the Maxwell's Silver Hammer Fan Club, by the way - here's something you might like:

Maxwell Animation (rather well done)

2. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

Me too for the Maxwell's Silver Hammer Fan Club - great stuff. I love the Abbey Road album, it's one of my favourite, if not my favourite Beatles album. Perhaps it should have finished with The End though, as originally intended for what turned out to be their last recorded album. Her Majesty should have been incorporated in the album somewhere else.

Stuart

3. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

That's my two year daughter's favourite song. Well that and Come on feel the noise!

4. Uncle Ants

Uncle Ants I'm a Shop Keeper

I like it myself. Ob la di, ob la da too. When I was two Octopusses Garden was my joint fave ... Alongside something called The Thirsty Red Mini.

5. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

Oh. There probably must be a Revolution 9 Fan Club then.

6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Revolution No 9 is great, kind of Hymnen goes pop - IIRC all four of them had been to a Stockhausen concert shortly before.

Tony.

7. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

I can't think of a Beatles song I don't like, except for maybe The Long and Winding Road, which should have been called The Far Too Long and Pointless Meandering Song... Seriously, What the Hell was I Thinking.

Joe

8. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

Phil Spector was blamed for its cheesy production. When you listen to the stripped-down version, you have to admit that Phil actually tried to make something of a cheesy song Macca was apparently proud of.

Okay, a Why Don't We Do It In The Road Fan Club then.

9. John

John pfm Member

Abbey Road is my favorite Beatles album and the best sounding one from a production standpoint as well. I'd like to see a 2009 reissue of this on vinyl to challenge my OP.

10. jimb0

jimb0 Jelly Roll Soul

Side 2 of Abbey Road is genius.

Having been a bit <meh> about the whole reissue thing (apart from Beatles RockBand!) I now feeling the need for the mono box and re-read of Revolution in the Head.

11. domfjbrown

domfjbrown pfm Member

Yep - I just read that, and have to admit, I'm shocked as well! I sussed it the first time I heard it (though it probably helped that I'd been reading a book about serial killers a couple of weeks before ;)).

And yeah, I rate that track too - but LOATHE Ob la di ob la da.

12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I'm actually very far from knowledgeable about The Beatles, I know the valuable vinyl when I see it, and I've made a fair bit of cash out of it over the years, but I've never really sat down and listened to lyrics etc. To be honest I know far more about the matrixes and tax-codes than the songs! Going through the Mono Box over the past few days is the most attention I've ever paid to the earlier albums. I was a 70s kid, I grew up on T. Rex, Bowie, prog and slightly later punk / new-wave. The Beatles were always 'there' given that much of my childhood was spent in the Liverpool and Wirral areas, but they were something I absorbed inadvertently rather than actively. I'm really enjoying the journey, though I'm finding Revolution In The Head somewhat infuriating as it's in studio session order, not album track sequence, i.e. it takes as much time flicking through trying to find the next track as it does reading about it. I did Beatles For Sale last night (a pretty weak album compared to the preceding three IMO). Help tonight, then I'll be onto the ones I do know well (RS, R, SP, TWA).

I really rather like these box set things, I'm getting a hell of a lot from this one, and the Miles Davis Complete Columbia box I bought recently is probably the best music purchase I've ever made. Truly amazing stuff, a box with an almost black-hole like density of greatness. I've got Kraftwerk's Der Katalog to get through too, but I know that stuff really well anyway so it's really only discovering what certain songs sound like sung in German.

Tony.

13. Harry1212

Harry1212 pfm Member

we don't need no edyookayshn, eddiecation, EDUCATION.

harrumph

14. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

I discovered The Beatles properly in the late 70's when I was about 18/19. Before then I only knew the blue and red albums and Sgt Pepper. I honestly thought that was all they had done until I heard With The Beatles at my uncle's and then a pal who had older siblings lent me the rest gradually. A wonderful experience.
    Have never done the track by track thing with the good book though - tonight is looking free...!

15. Joe P

A bit of audio nerdery for your amusement... three versions of "I'm looking through you" from Rubber Soul, the first from the 2009 mono remaster, the second from the 2009 stereo remaster (included on the mono 2009 disc) and the 1987 stereo remaster (CD borrowed from my wife).

[​IMG]

Can anyone decipher the squiggles? If I'm interpreting them correctly I the mono remaster should should sound the most dynamic.

I'm assuming I've loaded the tracks into Audacity correctly (go to File, then Open, then choose the track), but as I've just downloaded the application I'm not sure if more is involved.

Joe

16. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Looking at those I'd pick the 87 as the most dynamic (i.e. the contrast between the quiet and loud is the greatest), though it is not wise to compare the mono as it's a whole different mix. These are two very different things, the mono is not a simple fold-down of the stereo.

The thing that surprises me is there are some clear differences between the stereo mixes. The loudest transient on the 87 (towards the end of the top channel) is pretty much missing in action on the 2009 remix. Actually, when you say 2009 stereo mix do you mean the stereo mix from the mono box set? If so that's the 1965 stereo mix, not the 87, again a whole different thing.

Tony.

17. Joe P

Tony,

Yeah, the "stereo remaster 2009" as I've labelled it is the one that's included on the 2009 mono remaster.

Is this not the same as the 2009 stereo remaster of Rubber Soul?

Joe

18. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

No, completely different thing, George Martin remixed them again on 1987 and even added digital reverb. Heretic!

Tony.

19. Joe P

Tony,

Just so I'm clear, are the stereo mixes that are included on the 2009 mono remaster of RS (they list as "1965 mix" in iTunes) different from the 2009 stereo remaster of RS?

Joe

20. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Yes, the 2009 stereo remaster (i.e. from the stereo box / available separately) is the 87 mix remastered, the mono box is the 65 mix, and it's first time ever on CD. To get the 65 stereo mix on CD you have to buy the mono box, which is somewhat counterintuitive!

Tony.