1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Punk Song?

Discussion in 'music' started by droodzilla, Oct 27, 2017.

1. glancaster

glancaster In the silicon vale

Whilst 'Pretty Vacant' and a load of other songs from 'Never Mind the Bollocks' are definitely up there with the best, I can't decide between 'Ever Fallen in Love' and 'Teenage Kicks'. Love the way all these songs just get in and get out, no flab, no boring intro or outro - a lot of artists could learn something from that.

Also kudos to those who mentioned 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' and Wolf Alice, recognising the continuation of the punk attitude.

Kind regards

- Garry

2. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

Boredom from Spiral Scratch and Penetration’s Don’t Dictate need mentioning here.

3. gassor

gassor "There may be more posts after this."

There has always been more than a hint of rebellion in pop music in the sound, attitude and lyrical content since it's inception. The 60s 'liberation' in pop/rock opened the doors (sic) to all sorts of strange influences, but ended up producing a lot of elitist pretentious nonsense for those who wanted to sit at concerts nodding their heads or dancing hideously as if swimming underwater.

The seeds (sic again) of punk were sown in the US garage bands of the late 60s and they propelled the progenitors of punk, Iggy and the Stooges into the limelight.

The fuse was lit and explosions went off primarily in New York and London. Two strands emerged; the US type and the UK type. Both changed the path of pop, but arguably the US type was more influential - Ramones, Richard Hell, Television, etc. UK punk does not have much of a following these days and a lot of the music that excited swaithes of the youth in the late 70s is not played much any longer, but it has done its job.

Punk wouldn't make many Desert Island Disc programmes, but if I was forced to pick just one song I would say White Riot by the Clash. Couldn't believe the energy and exuberance that emanated from that song when it came out.

4. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

Go along with most of that, but still think the attitude was around a long time before the 60's.
    For some reason the Clash have always wound me up, it may be because my wife likes them, jealousy I suppose.

Bloss

5. Still

Still gyldengourd

I agree - the music/rebellion combo' certainly goes back to 1950s rock 'n' roll.

6. mand

mand pfm Member

This, but need to include Suspect Device, and Holiday in Cambodia
    Then X Ray Spex - Germ Free Adolescent.
    Too many to decide from.
    'Twas as good show.

7. Colonel_Mad

Colonel_Mad pfm Member

Nipple Erectors - King of the Bop was a good effort from young SMcG.

[YOUTUBE]mFTk4mHEtB4[/YOUTUBE]

8. gassor

gassor "There may be more posts after this."

Yeah the attitude (as I said) goes back to the beginning of rock n roll eg Blue Suede Shoes, Summertime Blues etc.

9. formbypc

formbypc pfm Member

I recorded a bunch of Peels shows over 1976-78, the heyday of UK Punk, and I'm in the midst of digitising them.

So far, some of the standouts which capture the spirit and immediacy of the age;

X-Ray Spex - Oh, Bondage - Up Yours
    The Mekons - 32 Weeks
    The Damned - Neat, Neat, Neat

More to follow ...

10. Still

Still gyldengourd

I'd love to listen to those - started listening to The Mighty Peel in 1979.

11. Jamie

Jamie pfm Member

Yep

+1

12. neildalton

neildalton Member

It can only be this:

claire.fox and RickyC6 like this.
  13. BJP

BJP The Blue Dawg

I bought this nice pop tune

14. Dinovector

Dinovector pfm Member

The Banshees Peel sessions are fantastic, it was the first time I heard them, it's what's been playing in my car for the last couple of weeks, too good to swap out yet

15. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

Yeah back in the day the Banshees sessions were all they had done and it seemed Peel repeated them for ages before they actually got a record out. Of course it was probably just a few months but...when you’re young...

16. Still

Still gyldengourd

Thanks Claire. I do have some of Peels sessions on CD, but not those ones.
    Very tempting! I'd also love to listen to Peels links from that era.
    I've been waiting to do some internet hunting since the OP, but waiting for my connection to be repaired

The Damned OGWT session is excellent.
    Sometimes I ponder why it took OGWT a while to get punk, but tbf they had New York Dolls on.

17. ciderglider

ciderglider pfm Member

Whispering Bob had problems with Roxy Music, so no wonder it took OGWT time to get punk.

18. glenda

glenda pfm Member

My faves from back in the day...

The Wasps - Teenage Treats
    The Desperate Bicycles - The Medium was Tedium
    The Mekons - Never been in a Riot

Cheers

Tony

19. jair

jair pfm Member

Disappointing that the Pistols CDs seem to lose some of the rawness of the original vinyl. Always loved the dynamics of Satellite on 45rpm.

Eddie and the Hot Rods', Do Anything You Want to Do will always be Punk.

Absolute favourite though is this, by The Ruts.

All versions of this are great.

20. irons1965

irons1965 pfm Member

New Rose

'......are we really 65 in the charts?.....'