1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Bike Tyre recommendation

Discussion in 'off topic' started by cutting42, Nov 11, 2017.

1. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

Hi cyclists

I have trashed my tyres and need to get some new one. Any recommendation for mainly singletrack and towpath use. Like a bit of tread but does not need to be super chunky.

It is for use on my 1998 Stumpjumper FSR XC so 26" wheels.

TIA

2. richgilb

richgilb I voted out lol....

I went for tubeless Nobby Nics this time and use similarly to you. I got the sticky version. Very nice but actually it is the first time I tried tubeless so am not sure if it is that or the tyre that made the difference!

3. JezmondTutu

JezmondTutu Expert on very little

You won’t go far wrong with the Specialized tyres, had Purgatory and Captain on my Enduro.

Maxxis are generally very well regarded.

Schwalbe make good tyres but I had Rocket Ron Evo Pacestars and never again - far too fragile.

4. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

My experiences with Schwalbe have been good, Continental less so which is odd because they make great car tyres and some cyclist swear by them. Many years ago I used Panaracer Pasela tyres (made by Panasonic I think) to good effect on 26" rims. Based on that experience I bought some Panaracer slicks for my Moulton and they were fantastic (lowest rolling resistance I had ever experienced) and frustrating (I was forever getting punctures). Because of that I am currently using Schwalbe Kojak's on my Brompton and Moulton and they have proven themselves to be very good however they might not suit you as they are bald.

5. clifftaylor

clifftaylor pfm Member

Another vote for Schwalbe.

6. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I don't have an actual recommendation but I'd say that a semi slick was best for towpath type offroad. The majoy manufacturers sell them as summer tyres etc. They are great in dry conditions, but useless in heavy mud. A heavy mud tyre is of course a PITA in dry fast rolling conditions and prone to unpredictable behaviour on greasy wet tarmac. I've had at least one front tyre that had a nasty habit of breaking away very quickly and unpredictably on wet rock. Its performance in mud was good but not good enough to compensate for it trying to dump you on your face every time it hit a wet cattle grid, white line or other minor hazard. It did however last for ever, which wasn't a good thing.

Enough of the anecdotes. In short I'd be looking at whatever Wiggle etc have on special, from a major manufacturer, decent reviews and designed around my intended use. I'd save the Massey Ferguson ShiteGrippers for the December XC action.

Edit - I have a pile of part worns in the garage, if all you want is working 26" tyres and you are near Leeds, call in with a bottle and you can take your pick.

cutting42 likes this.
  7. Cav

Cav pfm Member

I have used Schwalbe and Continental and would recommend either.

8. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

I have used Schwalbe Marathon plus on the road and they are excellent re puncture proofing and amazing for wear and tear.
    However a note of caution re canal towpath and/or trail: my other route to work is trail/towpath and I had several pucntures on Schwalbe from sharp grit/gravel. What happens is the grit sticks into the thick rubber protective rim and then is forced through from pressure and eventually punctures. I replaced with Continental crosstrail type (can't remember exact modell) on advice from bike shop and no problems.

9. cutting42

Thanks all for the input and to steve67 for the kind offer but I am in Watford and Leeds is a bit far even for free tyres;-)

Will have a look around

10. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Bugger. I fancied being able to trade a couple of crappy old tyres in the garage for a bottle of vino. Not going to work now, is it?

11. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Arkless

Schwalbe here as well.

12. avole

avole pfm Member

Schwalbe also, though I like continental for road bikes, or Michelin.

13. andrewhockley

andrewhockley pfm Member

I've done a lot of miles on my old road bike with Grand Bois 42mm. Nicest tyre I've had and no punctures at all so far. They are too soft to hurt themselves. I've done a lot of miles on towpath with these and they work well. But not cheap.

14. cutting42

Ordered some Schwalbe Marathon Plus Smartguard Rigid MTB Tyre.

Thanks again for help

15. winchman

winchman pfm Member

I put the Bell Puncture proof ones from Asda on my Sons BMX and Daughters Mountain bike can't fault them lasting well and no punctures

16. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

Holy cow. You managed to puncture some Marathon Pluses? They’re horrid tyres, very heavy with dull surface feedback, but I have never had a puncture in one. Great on Bromptons and for heavily loaded bikes.

17. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I thought the same. Rode a pair on a hire bike this summer, did about 300 miles in a week or so. They put them on hire bikes because of course they give no trouble and last the summer season. The bikes will do 3k- 4k miles over a summer before replacement, I'm sure that chains wear out before tyres. Horrible things to ride though, really pedestrian and wooden.

18. cutting42

19. JimmyB

JimmyB pfm Member

Have a look at the On-One website for some good tyres at great prices LINK. Their own brand stuff is really good value if you're not going mental; that Chunky Monkey Enduro @ £13 looks like a cracker but the Smorgesbord dual compound at £21 is a good tyre at a good price.

Running Maxxis (Ardent & Highroller II) and Schwalbe 2.4 tubeless myself but with triple compounds and at nearly £40-50 a tyre you don't want to be wasting them on tow paths etc. but they are awesome....

20. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Yup.
    I'm 15st and slightly rough.
    They're good as winter training tyres with all that weight.