1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Black Star

Discussion in 'music' started by Gaius, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Gaius

Gaius Trade: Stiletto by Tangerine

I played this the day before he died and then he died.

I wrote some early thoughts about it on this Forum but can't find them.

He is the only artist that has affected me this way, my favourite always and a talent we will be unlikely to see again. Even our Nation reacted, his name in lights on the old post office tower in London; tributes everywhere.

It has taken this time and I play his other stuff all the time but tonight I put on Black Star, I still find it a little hard but what an incredible album, right up there with his best work.

Miss him.

2. jimi

jimi pfm Member

An excellent LP.

3. graystoke4

graystoke4 pfm Member

this album is intense, it seems to guide you, drag you though the songs, like some kind of a dream, it pulls you into the music as though you are in a trance,then it's gone finished, so quick, another large glass of wine , and maybe play it again,,

true it took me a few plays but still could not get it, then after a couple bottles of wine, it all fell into place, it became very personal, and now if im having a drink and playing some music, on my own, i will put it on, it really is a ride i like having on my own,

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

It is unquestionably one of my favourite Bowie albums, a real masterpiece.

5. Gaius

Gaius Trade: Stiletto by Tangerine

It is.

6. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

One of my faves as well.

Joe

7. windhoek

windhoek pfm Member

I actually gave Black Star a miss as I wasn't overly impressed with The Next Day and presumed my view of this album would be similar. I've still not heard it except for snippets here and there. I can remember many a night I've played Bowie loud and proud and no doubt I'll do so again, but perhaps with Black Star should our paths cross on Amazon beforehand.

8. chris@panteg

chris@panteg pfm Member

Both The Next Day and Blackstar are brickwalled to hell on cd and digital download, vinyl is good however.

9. Pac1

Pac1 Designer/Manufacturer

^^^^^^
    This

I find though that this applies to most Bowie albums on CD. Listen to his Heros CD...it's virtually listenable. I haven't managed to listen all the way through and usually take the CD off after a track or two. Unbearably badly mastered.

In very case, I've fund the vinyl to be better, especially so with Black Star, although I can't play that when my nipper is about because of some of the language used.

10. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

I'v not played it in a while as find it a difficult listen for obvious reasons. A brilliant piece of work though. Might have to give it a spin this weekend.
    Played my UK first press Heroes yesterday. A wonderful thing.

11. chris@panteg

chris@panteg pfm Member

I have the original vinyl of Heroes, I did buy the remastered Hunky Dory on cd 2013 I think? It sounds like a flat transfer to me, not bad.

12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The Blackstar CD is compressed, but for some reason sounds bloody amazing through the big Tannoys, which is unusual as they usually hate anything brick-walled. It sounds good on headphones too. I've not played The Next Day on CD much so I forget how that compares to the vinyl. I'm actually in two minds as to which I prefer with Blackstar; the vinyl is certanly more gentle and airy, and I think the voice sounds better, but the CD hits like a sledge-hammer, and given the weight of the material that feels very appropriate to me. It is also the one I heard first (the vinyl was sold-out everywhere when I bought it so I grabbed the CD and got the vinyl when it was back in stock), so I formed my opinion via the CD.

13. chris@panteg

chris@panteg pfm Member

I have the Next Day special edition, I really like the album but find it difficult to listen to on my LV Avatars, a very different sounding speaker to your Tannoys, but nothing brickwalled sounds good through them.

14. oceanobsession

oceanobsession pfm Member

What does the term brickwalled mean folks . phil

15. richgilb

richgilb pfm Member

It's a term used when engineers use audio compressors to make everything as loud as possible, including the quiet bits. It can make things sound a bit warped in addition to losing the real dynamics of a quiet loud quiet thing.

16. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Make everything louder than everything else!

17. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

What we really need is for someone to invent an amp that goes up to 11. There'd be big money to be made on one of those.

18. Bangaio

Bangaio pfm Member

*pedant had on* it's actually using limiters not compression but same goal. Loud as! Compressors squash dynamics then boost with a limiter.

19. Orbe Chaser

Orbe Chaser pfm Member

I know exactly how you feel Gaius, happy to share all Bowies music to any & everyone & always have done, but Blackstar feels very private & personal to me, as I am sure it does to you.
    I have mentioned before that my mum died just a couple of days before Bowie so I wasn't in the best frame of mind to hear David had gone, & I found it impossible to separate the grief I felt for both losses, & when I play Black Star I get very emotional, from the first note to the last I find it spellbinding & it is an experience I keep to myself. It is an incredible, powerful piece of work, his best since Outside for me, & the sound quality is also superb, on vinyl at least.

20. richgilb

richgilb pfm Member

I knew someone would have ago...bait taken.

A limiter is a compressor but a compressor is not necessarily a limiter.

And when explaining the basics, best choose a word that might already be partially understood.