1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Black Star

Discussion in 'music' started by Gaius, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Bangaio

Bangaio pfm Member

2. Mr.Nic

Mr.Nic pfm Member

Still struggle to listen to Black Star - weird that it's still so painful a year on. His death hit me way harder than I would have expected.

The cynical side of me did wonder if there'd be an expanded version of Black Star released to include No Plan, When I Met You & Killing a Little Time released on the first year anniversary.

3. Gunnar

Gunnar pfm Member

Me too. It´s somewhat painfull still, listening to Blackstar.

The next day and Blackstar are imo masterpieces of man with an unique musical career.

I have listened to Bowie ever since I was a young teenager and there is no one to match him.
    He is the master of them all.

The next day has a better SQ on LP but with Blackstar I can´t really tell the difference cd vs LP.

4. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles Trade: MGM Audio

I find Bowie's 'Lazarus' so disturbing that I don't think I'll ever listen to the Black Star album.

5. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

That would be a mistake as it is a stunning album with one of the best bands he has ever used IMO. I guess it is the closest he has ever got to jazz in using Donny McCaslin's band and it just works so well to my ears, these guys really can play with groove and feel and McCaslin's sax is stunning, but the end result is still 100% Bowie. I've never been able to pick favourites with Bowie and would rate pretty much anything released on RCA on a very high plateau with what I want to play changing over time and with mood. I put Blackstar on that level, i.e. it is no worse than Hunky Dory, Ziggy, Station To Station, Low or whatever.

I've been really enjoying later Bowie of late getting to know the 1. Outside through to The Next Day stuff better. Those two are the best of that batch with the drum 'n' bass-influenced Earthling being the least successful for me. Sadly the compression/brickwalling increases with each album reaching an uncomfortable to listen to peak on Hours and Reality, I'd love to hear them mastered with a little more headroom as there is much good music in this period.

6. MVV

MVV pfm Member

It is difficult and for me it isn't that he was particularly significant in my life. I find it a real reminder of my own mortality. The music, imagery and packaging; It is like a grave artefact. My favourite Bowie song is Quicksand and I think that is being referenced in 'In the Villa of Ormen'.

Further there is a disturbing website called 'The Villa Of Ormen' containing images that are very directly referenced in the lyrics/imagery of the album. It is very 'victorian occult/Crowley' and extremely powerful so if you are disturbed by that kind of thing don't go there.

Curiously it existed before the album was released and many people believe he either contributed to it or was influenced by it.

7. richgilb

richgilb pfm Member

I've got Hours and Reality on the most recent vinyl issue. I'll have another listen and see if I notice. Maybe it was done at mixdown and all copies will suffer.

8. Gunnar

Gunnar pfm Member

Heathen, wich also is a future classic IMO, suffers badly of compession/brickwalling on the cd edition has a much better master on the original vinyl edition. Recommended.

9. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

Reality on green vinyl issue sounds bloody good to me. It of course looks gorgeous.

10. RickyC6

Just ordered the 2011 Music On Vinyl issue of Heathen. Will report back as I don't get on with the CD much.

11. RickyC6

My word Earthling on MOV is impressive. A truly excellent Bowie album.

12. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Still haven't got around to picking up Blackstar, I always seem to forget or pass it over. Must rectify that.

13. richgilb

richgilb pfm Member

Blackstar is a difficult album for so many reasons. It ruined my montage of essential Bowie albums, for one.

[​IMG]Picture220 by RSR MOTO, on Flickr

14. Gaius

Gaius Trade: Stiletto by Tangerine

Here's the thing from my perspective and a massive fan of Bowie.

It's a hard album but these days I just can't stop playing it; it really is quite amazing, perhaps his best of them all.

15. 1964meb

1964meb pfm Member

Don't get black star at all. Or anything Bowie did since ...... Low or scary monsters. Or cat people.

Was given a 180 mg black star for Xmas. It remains un opened ( i got ythe cd to play)

Love hunky dory, diamond dogs, low though.

16. MVV

MVV pfm Member

Personally I think it was a David Jones album rather than Bowie. You like Hunky Dory- what do you make of Quicksand?

17. rod ayling

rod ayling pfm Member

Quicksand is in my top 5 bowie tracks.

That chorus is to die for.

Others are Heroes, Sweet thing, word on a wing and five years.

Sweet thing doesnt appear in best of bowie magazine articles.

All i can say is your loss. Its fantastic!

18. Gaius

Gaius Trade: Stiletto by Tangerine

^^^ Agree, Sweet Thing/Candidate/Sweet Thing off Diamond Dogs is superb, in fact the whole album is quite amazing, Big Brother being a favourite of mine.

19. rod ayling

rod ayling pfm Member

Ive never liked the title track all that much and overlong on the album version But from Sweet Thing onwards, every tracks a winner.

Ok one for diehard fans.

The Baal ep is amazing. Astonishing vocals. Amongst his best singing.

No one has mentioned his voice here, i think, but as Visconti says, what a voice.

20. GaryT

GaryT pfm Member

The SACD sounds very good to me.