1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Black Star

Discussion in 'music' started by Gaius, Jan 18, 2017.

1. richgilb

richgilb I voted out lol....

If it's a clear copy, I'll give you 50 quid for it...

2. Gunnar

Gunnar pfm Member

That is good to know.
    I Will try that one out.

3. GaryT

GaryT pfm Member

Good luck getting a copy if you don't already own one. There are a few on Discogs, but they start at around £95 (+p&p).

4. Gunnar

Gunnar pfm Member

Thanks
    I will have a look.

5. Martin D

Martin D Libertarian Division

6. twotone

twotone pfm Member

I think the new Elbow single is very Bowiesque singing wise.

7. MVV

MVV pfm Member

Yes I noticed that, very much Blackstar style. Also over a Blue Nile backing track. Very good though for radio music .

8. twotone

twotone pfm Member

I don't normally like elbow but the singer is excellent on that single but it reminds me very much like something from hunky dory or Aladin sane.

Never really noticed singers in the past sounding like Bowie sings.

I like the elbow guy's voice on that single, wonder if it's intentional or some sort of tribute to Bowie?

Just had another listen to the elbow single and your correct that's definitely a blue Nile track it's very like a walk across the rooftops or Saturday night.

9. Gunnar

Gunnar pfm Member

1.Outside is another brilliant album.
    Not only is the music great but it has also a very good production and sound quality.

The cd version is very good and to any one that has not listened to it your' re in for a treat.

Try track : Hearts filthy lesson or Hello Spaceboy
    Complex produktion but clean sounding.
    You should be able to play it very loud , full range, without the music falls apart. Then you have a great system. ( there is also some very low frequency material on the album that can come as a surprise

10. Orbe Chaser

Orbe Chaser pfm Member

Outside is very good indeed I agree, if you haven't heard Hearts Filthy Lesson before watch the video on youtube, it is brilliant.

11. misterc6

misterc6 What's he building in there?

12. Fester

Fester New Member

Loved it as well. Word on a wing is a nice post script.

13. TurnItUp

TurnItUp Active Member

Bowie had a profound effect on me in my youth. My closest friend, Ryan and I discovered his music together in our teenage years. A lot of good memories of us sitting listening to bowie together.
    That friend and I sadly fell out in our early twenties and absurdly didn't speak for nearly ten years. When Bowie died it brought back so many memories of my friend and I and our formative years.
    The day Bowie died I Decided to get in touch with Ryan after almost ten years apart. We chatted for hours about those early days and found that at a certain level nothing had really changed with us and couldn't quite believe we'd both been so stubborn to let ten years pass without making contact.
    Bowie dying had a profound effect but it happily brought my friend and I back together.

My memories of listening to his music when I was about 15 are some of the happiest I have.

14. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Me too I got into him via my then girlfriend now wife when we were the same age as you and your friend back in 1973. We spent hours listening to his records in her bedroom and just talking as you do when you're that age.

Those are some of the happiest memories of my life when everything was so much more uncomplicated.

15. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

Do you not talk to the current women in your life now:)

Bloss

16. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Aye of course we speak all of the time, we're still together 43 years later but it's a different world now with two grown up kids still in the house, a dog and a cat, a mortgage and debt and we both work and are shattered most of the time, you know how it is?:D

17. Gaius

Gaius Trade: Stiletto by Tangerine

I think twotone's story is both a good one and a beautiful one. I think I'm right that he bought a Bowie album from me some years back, I suspect Ziggy, Aladdin or Hunky. All good and he would say the same.

I was struck at that time just how much Bowie meant to him and his sweetheart.

Bowie is of course the greatest; the most.

18. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Hi Mark it was Ziggy and you kindly gave me a copy of Space Oddity.

My first ever birthday present from my wife, then girlfriend, was the single of Life on Mars and I still have it with her writing on the label, it was my fifteenth birthday:cool:

19. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

A good marriage 43 years, we are a few less but I avoided marriage until I was 30.

I agree responsibility does change your way of life but hopefully, as your ties lessen you may regain that twotone youthful charm and you and your partner can enjoy some of those new Golden Years.

Bloss.

20. I have always been pretty ambivalent to Bowie's work, other than Hunky Dory which I have played on a fairly regular basis. I listened to Black Star for the first time last night. I have to say I thought it was astonishingly good.

Cheers BB