1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Cassette Store Day

Discussion in 'music' started by Tony L, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

A thing apparently. Cassette Store Day 2017 is today! (link).

2. davidavdavid

davidavdavid EARWAG

Not sure if this has gone global, but the interest in cassettes here in the States is taking on a life of its own. Second hand Nakamichi tape decks are increasing steadily in price and for what it is worth, the used record shops over here are now not only stocking cassettes, but are now doubling the price on used cassettes. Granted the increase is from 50¢ to $1.00, but they have to start somewhere.

Only a matter of time before new releases come out on cassette as well as lp....just saying.

3. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

I see the White Stripes are released all their albums on tape. Crazy times.

4. canonman

canonman Mirror slapper

Had a surprising find in the garage last week, a Mobile Fidelity pre recorded tape of Steely Dan's AJA. Must try it soon.

5. formbypc

formbypc pfm Member

I winced inwardly when I read this.

The garage is not the place for such an prize, unless double-wrapped in cling film, plastic wrap, or some other moisture-tight container....

6. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Though I noticed there aren't any really high profile releases this year after The Pixies and Ramones last year. Have we reached peak cassette already?

Tapes seem to have replaced CDRs as the DIY format of choice in some scenes. The excellent Tome Records off Old Kent Road always has hundreds of punk tapes self-released by the bands.

7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

This is where the market lies for sure. Them There are another interesting label who release stuff in numbers as low as 50. Rochdale’s finest Samandtheplants are always worth a look in a somewhat Syd Barrett-ish freak-folk kind of way, though I tend to land the CDRs rather than the tapes.

8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Can't quite see the reason for the resurgence. Can't be s.q. (R2R for that), nor creativity (splicing etc.; again, R2R) I've yet to hear a quality pre-corded cassette c.f. your own transcriptions. Cass. decks are complex, with magnetism, biasing, noise reduction and speed (belt) longevity potential problems.

I can see CDs coming back, except that they really haven't yet gone away. The LP resurgence and every costly thing associated with it, is already here.

So what about 8 track and quadraphonics? No chance ! The latter didn't last more than 3 or so years.

9. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

They're cheap. It costs less than £150 for a run of 50 tapes with printed inlays.

It means a band doing their first few support slots in small venues can get something on the merch table without too much outlay.

A lot of tapes also come with a download code. It's difficult to sell someone a download at a gig but a tape with download for £3 or £4 is quite tempting.

10. matt j

matt j pfm Member

When I last bought some LPs from Notts rough trade the cashier was throwing free stuff at me and asked if I wanted a tape, told her no thanks!

That was a good 12 months ago so it's not a sudden resurgence.

11. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Interesting to look at eBay sold listings for cassettes, there are clearly some of value out there. Surprised that classical has such a market, I’d have thought that would be firmly CD now.

12. norliss

norliss pfm Member

One revival I have no intention being a part of...

13. JD68

JD68 Active Member

Is it not easier and just as cheap to produce a CD?

14. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

The minimum runs for proper (non CDR) CDs tends to be a bit higher.

15. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

The guy in the classical section of the Record & Tape Exchange in Notting Hill told me that all their classical tapes go out to a dealer in China.

I have no idea why.

16. JD68

JD68 Active Member

The guy in Reel Around the Fountain in Stretford Arndale (Manchester) told me that about classical vinyl. But he said it's because they're the only ones who want it.