1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Celestion Ditton 25 Opinions

Discussion in 'audio' started by Jackytwoshoes, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Jackytwoshoes

Jackytwoshoes pfm Member

I've been offered some ditton 25's for 110 quid.
    How do these compare with the KEF 104ab's I currently have?
    Would they work out with a NAP 160?
    I thought they might be worth a try at that price.

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Assuming they are in good condition I can't see you losing anything on them, though they do seem the least popular of that 70s Ditton range. I've never heard a pair myself, though I'd be interested to. They are a rather strange design, kind of a scaled-up 15 with a 12" bass, an ABR, what looks like 2 x HF1300 tweeters (a lovely sounding thing) and a dome tweeter I assume to extend the range upwards as the 1300 is out of the game at about 14Khz. I'd expect them to sound warm and a bit sucked-out in the mid as they have to be running that bass unit up pretty high - the HF1300 would be more usually matched to an 8" bass unit e.g. BC1, Ditton 15 etc. The 25 certainly doesn't seem to have the reputation of the 66 which also uses a 12" bass and ABR (maybe even the same drivers) but with a dome mid and tweeter. If you go for them give them a write-up!

Tony.

3. Gaius

Gaius Trade: Stiletto by Tangerine

I have a pair of 25s and 66s.

The 25 is a strange design but share a lot in common with the 66.

The first answer is yes the 160 will drive them with ease, second you won't lose at £110, in fact that's very cheap these days if they are a nice pair.

They share the same bass driver and ABR as the 66 and use the same amount of cabinet, as such the bass is pretty much the same, thunderous to say the least, they quite literally shake the buiding and your organs, very low down to 18 htz. The bass is unparalled.

They have the same tweeter as the 66, the once highly regarded HF200 which was used all over at the time, I think modern tweeters are better though...

Then there is the mess which is the mid; two HF1300 tweeters which I don't like at all.

The 25 is all top and bottom but a lot of fun and a huge sound.

I'm going to mod mine with a decent mid and top, another story...

Worth a punt at the money but I doubt you'll get the slam you want other than being knocked over by the bass!

4. Nik

Nik pfm Member

Yes, very odd. A 12" bass crossing over to 2 HF1300s. That must leave gap! I think the supertweeter was the HF2000, as also used in the Spendor BC3 (and maybe some IMFs?). IIRC the Ditton 44 was a similar price and size but had a more conventional driver lineup.

5. Gaius

Like I said it is all top and bottom.

The 44 does not use an ABR but shares the 12" driver of the 66 and 25.

The tweeter in the 25 & 66 is the HF2000, again as stated above. :rolleyes:

6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

How would you rate the 44 vs. 66 vs. 25? I rather fancied the idea of a pair of 44s for a while for system #2 TV duty, but ended up with Heresys (which I suspect are a fair bit better).

Tony.

PS Hearing a pair of 66 at a friends house as a kid is was what got me into hi-fi in the first place.

7. Nik

Nik pfm Member

Agreed. Instead of the gap the 25 had in going from 12" bass to 2 HF1300s, the 44 had a gap higher up, in going from a cone mid to an HF2000.

The 66 was the one where they got it pretty much right. Not bad, but a bit coloured compared with, say, the Spendors.

8. Gaius

66s win hands down ;)

9. ter

ter pfm Member

The use of HF1300 .....using IMF 80's (MK2) as another example....the configuration went a 13 x 9 Rogers type shaped bass cone (without any Rogers type cover membrane) crossed to something like a 5" cone .......then to a HF 1300 and ....finally a Audax super tweeter from 13kz to 24 Kz.