1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Classical Bargain Box Sets

Discussion in 'classical' started by lordsummit, Sep 8, 2017.

1. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

I listen to other genres and sometimes contribute to the general music forum. But I'm unlikely to be looking for non-classical box sets. If people object to a separate thread for classical box-sets, then why are they content to have a separate classical forum? Surely that's more of a barrier to expanding discovery across genres?

Not that I'm advocating it. I'd prefer it to be separate.

2. herb

herb music live

Yep, I agree with that argument. I just like some music and putting it into categories confuses me....

3. gustavm

gustavm pfm Member

Good point. Definitely a separate "Classical" thread is desirable, and the BBS thread is just a subset of this.

4. gustavm

gustavm pfm Member

5. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

clogman likes this.
  6. Todd A

Todd A pfm Member

Deutsche Harmonia Mundi has a 100 CD box set coming out next month. Amazon Germany currently has it on pre-order at €99,99. Amazon UK has the set up, but no price or availability yet.

Amazon Germany link

7. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

8. clogman

clogman pfm Member

9. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

10. Todd A

Todd A pfm Member

Not in that guise - I have the 144 disc complete recordings box which I picked up for about $101.00 about four years ago - I mention it only because I sort of kick myself for only buying one when I could have bought several and sold the extras later at higher prices.

The performances in the box you cite vary. The late career LvB with Barenboim is okay (the Sony folks should have included the superior cycle with Krips), but the rest is generally excellent and worth the outlay.

Nic Robinson likes this.