1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Conclusions!

Discussion in 'trade discussion' started by Purité Audio, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

The conclusion from the Stereophile Benchmark DAC3 review.
    Conclusions
    Once, in these pages, I expressed regret that rigorous listening tests are not truly viable in many high-end audio contexts, because without them we're unmoored. Without rigorous testing, it's hard to know what progress is real and what is only apparently real. There's a danger of being misled, of repeating the same mistakes again and again, of spending way too much money on things of little value. All of that helps the more cynical part of the high-end industry thrive at the expense of the more authentic, conscientious part. That's regrettable.

My point is that, as a hobby, industry, and avocation, we may have shifted too far toward the subjectivist side. Yes, I know the history, and accept its lessons: Measurements sometimes lead us astray, and there are plenty of open questions about what makes a component sound good..... Science works. Artists may be sexy, but never underestimate a good geek."
    ​Keith

2. muzzer

muzzer Numb Nut

Does this mean you are going to stop selling DAC3's and just stock 200 quid dacs then?

3. Purité Audio

If I could find a £200 DAC that had all the features and measured as well as the DAC 3 I would certainly consider it, why not?
    Do you know of one Muzzer does Colin from Chevron audio make one?
    Keith

4. Ciunas Audio

Ciunas Audio Trade: Ciunas Audio

Keith, what do you understand the highlighted text means?

5. Purité Audio

Show me some of your measurements for your products John show me how they improve the DACs output.
    Keith

6. Ciunas Audio

So you have no understanding of what you quoted, I see - thanks for clearing that up.
    A pity as it could have been interesting.

7. eastone

eastone pfm Member

You didn't answer John's question.

The sentence you quoted is ambiguous, and it would be great if you could clarify what you're taking from it and advancing?

8. Purité Audio

Show me the measurements where any of your devices improve the DACs output, really very simple.
    Show me the measurements ,
    Keith

9. Ciunas Audio

You still don't understand what you quoted
    I was hoping you did & a discussion could be had but your handwaving demonstrates a discussion is not possible

10. eastone

eastone pfm Member

I find it strange to cite a subjective view in order to advance a supposedly objectivist point of view, and even stranger to then refuse to develop the point.

Keith: as an owner of John's equipment, I'd like to know what sort of measurements you would like to see. Can you elaborate on your doubts in relation to his products?

I have no position to defend here, I'm merely an interested listener. Please, do go on...

11. Ciunas Audio

What's going on here is that Keith is aping his guru, Amir https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...as-it-gets’-benchmark’s-dac3.2022/#post-53633

Notice Amir highlights the exact opposite of what I highlighted in the quote

Unfortunately Keith seems to not have any understanding of what he quotes - just imitates others

12. Ciunas Audio

A perfect exercise for Keith who beats the measurements mantra so avidly, is to use the 3 generations of the Benchmark DACs (the Benchmark DAC3 Stereophile review was where the quote was taken from) & their measurements to educate us in how they sound different & pointing this out in their measurements.

In anticipation (not)!!

13. Purité Audio

Show me the measurements that prove your products improve the quality of the DACs output, I know you can’t because you don’t measure your products, just relying purely on BS.
    Keith

14. Ciunas Audio

Keith my DACs measure exactly the same as all competently designed DACs - isn't that your mantra?

So why don't you just sell the $79 Behringer UMC204HD as Amir has shown it measures the same or better & is far cheaper than your stocked Benchmark, Illusonic, Weiss or Phison DAcs

Show us the differences in measurements of these devices & how they are better than the $79 DAC/ADC Behringer

15. Purité Audio

Show me the measurements John show me your measurements , should be straightforward for a manufacturer .
    Keith

16. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Get a room you two. Petty bickering does you both a disservice.

17. Ciunas Audio

If you can't post anything other than this mantra, there's no point in further posting - it's not a discussion of any worth

18. Purité Audio

You are a manufacturer correct ?
    You make a device that purports to improve sound quality, show me two sets of measurements one with and one without your device taken at the DACs output that show the improvement , pretty straightforward request.
    Keith

19. Purité Audio

20. Ciunas Audio