1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Cutting edge actives destroy passive rivals in head to head showdown

Discussion in 'trade discussion' started by Purité Audio, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

2. calorgas

calorgas pfm Member

I like the sound of the word 'resolutio', a bit like resolution but with a bit of Italian pizzazz :D

...the Dutch&Dutch extended deeper and had far greater resolutio than any of the passive loudspeakers....

3. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe pfm Member

Insta-fail on the 2nd link when someone makes a suggestion that the actives must automatically be "full range", whereas passives seemingly aren't.

I've heard some actives armed with DSP technology, and whilst they can be massaged, they're still not completely immune to the laws of physics. More to the point, use the right DSP capable source, and some of that range extension can be achieved with passives.

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Was the test unsighted?

5. Purité Audio

Of course traditional passive speakers can be full range they just tend to be rather larger than the Kii/8C!
    Keith

6. adamk

adamk pfm Member

One system sounded as if it were under a blanket apparently
    Does that count in ABX criteria ?

I've lost track of the Naim variants- what is a 250 Df ?

7. Elephantears

Elephantears Trunkated Aesthete

But when you measured the active vs passive LS50s the measurements were almost identical, and I thought you based all your judgements on measurements of frequency response?

8. Purité Audio

I didn't measure the Dutch&Dutch / Harbeth in the customers house , I am certain they would have objectively reflected the subjective sound quality .
    The Harbeth were good, just a little indistinct compared to the D&D , and obviously nowhere near the same bass extension .
    Keith

9. jackbarron

jackbarron Stamford Bridge KGB

Everybody knows a blanket is needed. Winter is on the way.

Jack

10. Still

Still gyldengourd

Was the test unsighted?

11. Elephantears

Elephantears Trunkated Aesthete

You've not answered my question, as ever. I didn't refer to the sound test you've linked, since this is a locked blog I cannot access. Your sensational headline makes a claim about actives vs passives, so I referred to your comparison of active vs passive LS50s. Your measurements showed little difference.

12. Purité Audio

The measurements were similar but you would expect that from two identically sized loudspeakers using the same drivers.
    The Dutch&Dutch and Kii's speakers are quite unlike the active 50's I don't see your point.
    Keith
    2john the difference between 8C and Harbeth is so large that unsighted comparison was not necessary ,although if you visited here we could conduct an unsighted comparison for you.

13. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

What a crock of purshite.

14. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The "blanket" quote seems to refer to Shahinians. Who'd have guessed a studio nearfield control monitor would sound different to a far-field omnidirectional home speaker? I bet no one saw that coming! Can we get to the review of bananas vs. potatoes now please?

15. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Can you hear Talvin Singh?

So was this like a 'Robot Wars' thing, where the active speakers, equipped with circular saws, ripped the passive speakers to pieces?

16. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

One can only hope.

17. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

By everyone bar the pixies and goblins.

18. gustavm

gustavm pfm Member

To be fair, the title of this thread refers to "cutting edge" actives, which I assumed is intended to refer to those containing arrays of drivers to control low-frequency directionality in order to avoid or compensate for room modes. So KS50 active/passive comparison largely irrelevant here. I havn't heard any, but (being very aware of how important room interaction is) I am prepared to accept the possibility this could be one of the very few genuine advances in SQ over the last many decades.

19. htm_1968

htm_1968 pfm Member

Purite in hyper-hype shocker, who would've guessed?

20. Purité Audio

Just returned from hearing the Kii's versus Shahinians in the customers own home.
    Keith