1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Desert Island Disks

Discussion in 'music' started by prowla, Jul 15, 2003.

1. prowla

prowla pfm Member

Hows about a "Desert Island Disks" thread to get things going...

If you could pick just three disks to have if you were stranded on a desert island (with a great Hi-Fi and mains power of course), what would they be?

Here's mine:
    Rush - Moving Pictures
    Level 42 - World Machine
    Deep Purple - Made In Japan

2. auric

auric pfm Member

Spem In Alium - Tallis Scholars
    Strange Angels - Laurie Anderson
    Exsultate Jubilate - Emma Kirkby

Auric

3. joel

joel mojo working

Ah Um - Charlie Mingus
    Love Supreme - John Coltrane
    Greatest Hits - Jorge Ben (has almost all the best songs)

Tough.

Auric,
    Spem in alium is a marvellous album, too.

4. Ed Rogerson

Ed Rogerson Culturally irrelevant

You want to be stranded on a desert island with a Level 42 album?! That can't be healthy:D

This week, it would be:
    David Bowie - Low
    Stereolab - Sound Dust
    Mogwai - Happy Songs for Happy People

5. Kit Taylor

Kit Taylor Well-Known Member

John McLaughlin - Extrapolation
    Susumu Yokota - Sakura
    Wire - Pink Flag

I think the records to take are not your absolute favourites, but those that have the all the basic elements you like about music.

My favourite records take particular elements of these records and extrapolate and refine them into magic, but I can't think of another set that covers everthing I like about music.

6. mykel

mykel Perpetual Hack

Too many to choose, but tonight the pick list would be.... :D

Led Zeppelin: Physical Graffiti
    Marillion: Misplaced Childhood
    and a toss-up between
    Heart: Dog and Butterfly and Elton John: Madman Across the Water.

Tomorrow, proablably something completely different. :confused:

7. Ron James

Ron James Member

Brian Eno & David Byrne - My Life on the Bush of Ghosts
    Bach Goldberg Variations - Ito Ema
    Charlie Haden & Pat Metheny - Beyond the Missouri Sky

8. Chris

Chris pfm Member

Bert and John by Jansch and Renbourne
    Astral Weeks by Van the Man
    Gaucho by the Dan

9. Mick Seymour

Mick Seymour Member

prowla

I'd take Jethro Tull - Heavy Horses instead of Deep Purple but the other two are spot on.

Mick

10. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Albums - pah!

I'd have the following singles

Kites - Simon Dupree and The Big Sound
    Eloise - Barry Ryan
    Alone again or - Love

11. P

P Banned

Just Three?

Have to be double albums then

The Beatles - White Album

Big Star - Radio City/ #1 Record

Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun

Those'd just about stop me going bananas on a desert island

Nice

Pete

12. MarkW

MarkW Best Sounds Ever

On this Island I would mostly be listening to:

Yellow Shark - FZ
    Blue Valentine - Tom Waits
    Ah Hum - Mingus

And a yearning for hundreds more.

MarkW

13. domfjbrown

domfjbrown pfm Member

Sun spot - Dark Soho
    Forever changes - Love
    Little earthquakes - Tori Amos

That is well difficult - but Dark Soho in all cases as, for a "dance" oriented album, it's one hell of a versatile - sleep/eat/drink/do things you shouldn't/work to it - you can do anything with it unlike a lot of albums....

14. prowla

prowla pfm Member

Ed:
    I never said I was healthy!

Mykel:
    Physical Graffitti would've been my next (although I don't think Led Zep recordings were very audiophile).
    Dog & Butterfly - now that's an album I haven't listened to for a while (listened to "Little Queen" last week though).

Mick:
    I recently bought the digitally remastered Made In Japan CD, with extra live tracks (black cover rather than gold). It's well worth a listen.

Pete:
    I think several listens to "Revolution Number 9" would definitely not keep you sane!

15. Gernot

Gernot Active Member

My choice today:

The Beatles - White Album
    Neil Young - WELD
    Wir sind Helden - Die Reklamation

Cheers
    Gernot

16. Ian F

Ian F Member

My choice:
    1.Love/forever changes
    2.Beefheart/troutmask replica
    3.Can/ege bamyasi

17. Markus S

Markus S 41 - 29

I like the "My choice today" cop-out. So, until I change my mind (in about 5 minutes, probably):

Miles Davis, Kind of Blue
    Mary Coughlan, Red Blues,
    Mozart, Piano Concertos 21 and 24

Markus

18. joel

joel mojo working

Got that on vinyl for about a quid mint. Great fun, although the drumming on the "blues" number is pretty terrible IMMHO.
    Richie Blackhead can *play* the guitar when he puts his mind to it - I played the DP back-to-back with Esther Phillips' Black Eyed Soul and the similarities in the geetar work in places was quite interesting.

19. Chris Marshall

Chris Marshall pfm Member

Also my list for today, this week anyway!

Springsteen - Darkness on the edge of town
    Crowded House - Together Alone
    Steve Earle - Exit 0

20. Ron The Mon

Ron The Mon Location: Detroit

1 Simple Dreams by Linda Ronstadt. The songs are good and there's a variety; rock, country, traditional,.. The main reason though is to get the album jacket. There are two photos of her in this skimpy black satin dress of which I'm certain she's not wearing underwear. She has a white daffodil in her hair too. Very sexy. If I'm on a desert island, I'd definitely want photos if you know what I mean!

2 Big Bamboo by Cheech And Chong. Actually, I prefer the first album (with the classic "Dave" and "Trippin' in Court") but Big Bamboo comes with a giant rolling paper. If I'm on a desert island I'd definitely want some comedy and something to smoke!

3 Forever Changes by Love. The new version recorded last year with orchestra. I just listened to it earlier today and it is superb!! Arthur Lee envisioned the arrangement in his head over and over while he was in prison for several years. So I figured it'd be good played over and over on a desert island.

Ron The Mon

P.S.
    Gilligan probably was smarter than any of us in what to bring as he brought a transistor radio he could carry around in his pocket and either play it aloud or with headphones.