1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Desert Island Disks

Discussion in 'music' started by prowla, Jul 15, 2003.

1. prowla

prowla pfm Member

It's obvious that you don't live in the UK - the drivel we get on the radio would send me round the bend!

2. Mark EJ

Mark EJ pfm Member

Ah, but as far as I remember Giligan only listened in black & white.

Best;

Mark

3. Stew B

Stew B Doh !

ABC - Lexicon of Love

Kula Shaker - K

A third is impossible as there are too msany I love, if really pushed then a Northern Soul compilation.

4. Stew B

Stew B Doh !

I know a third now

The Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks, best rock album ever

5. Gernot

Gernot Active Member

today´s choice:

Turin Brakes - The Optimist LP
    Ramones - Rocket to Russia
    Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup (going to see them tomorrow
    at the Arena in Hamburg)

6. domfjbrown

domfjbrown pfm Member

Hmm - yeah - great gig and I was there - bummer about the excessive heat in the Royal Festival Hall though. Blinding set however, and you can hear my raucous gob at the end of the set - he he he hmm ;)

His set at Glastonbury (same formula) was almost as good - though he should have done Stephanie Knows Who at the end rather than 7 and 7 is...

7. Jonathan Ribee

Jonathan Ribee Unavailable at present

Kind of Blue, Ah Um and Love Supreme.
    All mentioned above.

I picked up a mono Mingus - Dark Saint and the Sinner Lady (only had the CD up to now) - and this might just replace the Coltrane - oh, in a year or so...

Tony - can we have a "dating section" - I think I want to seduce Joel, we seem 'musically compatible"

:D

8. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Nice – I’m envious. Which pressing did you find – US Impulse with heavy gatefold sleeve or the UK one on HMV? I’d kill for a mint original US stereo copy, mine is the 80s DMM Impulse which does actually sound excellent.

Joel does indeed appear to have rather decent taste! I intend to pick his brains on Japanese traditional music sometime soon….

Tony.

9. kevinl

kevinl Junior Senior Member

This has proven to be very difficult, but here goes:

Lloyd Cole and the Commotions : Rattlesnakes

Prefab Sprout : Steve McQueen

Aimee Mann : I'm With Stupid

Anyone out there approving of my choices??

10. Jonathan Ribee

Jonathan Ribee Unavailable at present

It's the UK one - a lucky find in Lancaster Market whilst being entertained at Chez Duerden. The US one would be far to lucky!

There was a Davis / Porgy and Bess that looked like a UK original, but at £18 decided it was a bit much - although if it had been a favourite Miles I might have gone for it.

I got a Speakers Corner reissue of Mingus, Mingus..(etc) recently - good pressing. I might get a similar of DSATSL to compare the Mono with Stereo. The mix/balance seems very different from the stereo CD.

Uber-flat mono jazz and nerdy 180g re-issues. I'm just confused!

Jonathan

11. Herbert Thumpy

Herbert Thumpy pfm Member

Yes, kevinl, I strongly approve of 'I'm with Stupid' by Aimme Mann. I reckon it's her best album.

Today, I'd vote for:

Gene Clark 'No Other'
    Laura Nyro 'New York Tendaberry'
    Husker Du 'Zen Arcade'

12. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Bartok Concerto for Orchestra
    Rachmaninov Piano concerto 3 (Bolet/Fischer)
    Kate Bush, Never Forever

Cheers

Nic.

13. prowla

prowla pfm Member

Herbert/kevinl

I've got "Lost In Space" by Aimee Mann. Guess I'll have to check out "I'm With Stupid".

Paul

14. Chris Marshall

Chris Marshall pfm Member

I'd have to agree with anything by Aimee Mann, or 'til tuesday for that matter. Everythings Different Now is a fantastic pop record.

Chris

15. smegger68

smegger68 Mango Enthusiast

So difficult to answer this question. I'm sure that in a couple of days i'll totally disagree with these choices but here goes....

1/ The Icicle Works - 'The Small Price Of A Bicycle'
    2/ Frank Zappa - 'Bongo Fury'
    3/ Yes - 'Fragile'

I have left out compilations as this is cheating IMHO....:D

16. Markus S

Markus S 41 - 29

This week's version:

Manu Chao, Clandestino
    Ojos de Brujo, Bari (Spanish Flamenco Punk; brilliant)
    Bardo Pond, Dilate (Velvet Undergound meets Portishead; the singer is so-so, but otherwise the album's brilliant)

Markus