1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

F*** he's good!

Discussion in 'music' started by Mr Tibbs, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Mr Tibbs

Mr Tibbs Infinitely Baffled Member

Guthrie Govan

Check out his other stuff -- he does the solo in the Young Punx 'Rockall'

Mr Tibbs

2. chrisallan

chrisallan Go on - bodge it!

That's awful, like Genesis mixed with Fusion.

3. Mark EJ

Mark EJ pfm Member

That's completely brilliant. Like Genesis mixed with Fusion.

Some parts slightly overcrowded, but marginally. Terrific rhythms, good tension and contrasts -- very satisfying. And no politics.

4. Wilky

Wilky pfm Member

When 'checking out the other stuff' I noticed the Bluejamtracks had Aynsley Lister (in the same room/studio).

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OxAWfNTnYs8

Seen him (solo and with band) quite a few times around the Portsmouth/Southampton area .... very accomplished guitarist.

Dave.

5. lostintheozone

lostintheozone Cabin Boy

Certainly technically able and I found mostly enjoyable. But as he is able to whip off a pastiche of just about anybody is he just the Alistair McGowan of the guitar? Also he looks like Ian Anderson from the days when I used to go and see Tull.

Guy

6. Mr Tibbs

Ha .... watch your back Guthrie ...

[YOUTUBE]NPdyMqzpD8Y[/YOUTUBE]

Mr Tibbs

7. FireMoon

FireMoon pfm Member

Plays a bit of a rip snorter on this song, I like how they left the flub in as well, make it that bit more human.

[YOUTUBE]ycYewhiaVBk[/YOUTUBE]

8. Mr Tibbs

Sorry I'm only getting round to replying now after your nine year wait. Actually no, I'm not really ready to reply yet. I need to give it a little more thought. I'll have your answer by 2020 I promise.

Mr Tibbs

9. kasperhauser

kasperhauser pfm Member

My guitar teacher, who's no slouch himself, rates Guthrie as one of a handful of guys who "can really play". He means this from a purely technical perspective, i.e., recognizing, understanding, and responding to musical changes in real-time.

10. Martin D

Martin D Libertarian Division

Professor shred

[YOUTUBE]FHHF_NNathQ[/YOUTUBE]

With that Steve Wilson guy

[YOUTUBE]IaH2C2Qe97Y[/YOUTUBE]

Some odds and end from SW recording at Air

[YOUTUBE]kTrSQWnJtgQ[/YOUTUBE]

Cheers

11. colinp

colinp pfm Member

12. 1964meb

1964meb pfm Member

Great heads up there. Thanks.

I found Guthrie Govan and the fellowship on you tube

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wYurB257R88

Excellent stuff. But I can't find it to buy it.

Does anyone know where it is available?

regards etc

Mike