1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Fatal Audiophile comparison errors!

Discussion in 'trade discussion' started by Purité Audio, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

2. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

I would suggest a good counsellor Keith & enjoy your music instead of posting this stuff.

3. narabdela

narabdela who?

Do we really want a boring forum where alternative views are discouraged?

Keep posting Keith.

4. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

Alternative views are discouraged here, check out the cable threads

5. Purité Audio

Only because ‘high-end ‘ cables are a complete nonsense .
    Keith

6. narabdela

narabdela who?

Lol, hang on while I get some popcorn in. :)

7. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Arkless

+1 All cables sound the same.

8. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

High end is a con for those with more money than sense

Under starters orders........

Honeymoon over, as predicted yesterday,
    Keith wanted more bite, well done, bored with the happy smiley atmosphere.. finally, back to reality.

9. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

All electrically identical cables should sound the same with unconditionally stable components. But let's be honest, a lot of hifi is shit.

Go watch the benchmark cables test video.

10. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

Have a link?
    I will take a look.

I imagine any electrically identical cables will have equal affect on a given piece of hifi equipment, not all are designed equal though, there seems no perfect cable out there which everyone uses.
    A cable should transmit the signal with as little degradation as possible, it's most probably this level of degradation we hear which marks out certain cables from another, along with what effect the cable has on an individual piece of equipment, I doubt there is a piece of equipment out there that is immune to electrical degradation of a signal, it's more about limiting it, the higher you go, I would imagine the aim is to eliminate it altogether, of course this is not the whole story as to what makes good hifi, design is far more important I feel & why I have heard many a budget set up sound on equal terms & improve on hifi costing 10 times the amount, power is probably the only area where you may have to splash out more for quality., if you need 300watts per side, I imagine you will have to pay for it.

11. Purité Audio

You have read and believed too much marketing tosh Raga, I would point you to the subject of this thread.
    Keith

12. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

I take it you've not seen it either Keith?

13. Purité Audio

14. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

Sheesh kebabs, even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day......

15. Dark Energy

Dark Energy pfm Member

Ahhh! The eternal struggle between Good and Evil! Here we go again, can't imagine how brutal this is going to get. I'm just going to throw a bucket of petrol on the fire and never return.

In the 90s myself and two friends did some auditioning, I think we had around nine interconnects, from these, two interconnects stood out, one was bad (It received excellent reviews) the other was amazingly good, it sounded just like the difference between a budget amplifier and an excellent high end amp, no one could miss it, you could drag someone off the street and they would hear it. I was shocked I'd never heard a cable make that kind of difference before, the other seven sounded pretty similar as far as I was concerned.
    I've heard the arguments before, but this illustrates part of the problem, if we just listened to the seven then we probably wouldn't have believed cables could be audible. I had to purchase the amazing cable, it cost £600 in the 90s, expensive but absolutely worth it, sadly the bad cable was already mine it cost £180 then, excellent reviews remember. Almost all of the cables you will ever audition will sound pretty much identical, that doesn't mean they don't exist, it just means you should really get out more.

16. Purité Audio

It is perfectly possible to make a cable sound ‘different’ if the designer wishes, but why make a design that is not audibly transparent.
    Keith

17. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

My recent impressions are that expensive cables do sound different to cheap pro ones - and the cheap pro ones are better! (I'm talking about XLR interconnects using Gotham GAC-4/1 - I think Mogami 2534 might do a similar job though I've not tried that.)

18. Purité Audio

It is difficult to compare loudspeaker cables because the auditory memory is so short, but interconnects can be usefully compared if you use ,for example two identical DACs wired with different interconnect and switch instantly between the two.
    Keith