1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Favo*u*rite Records Shops OUTSIDE of London

Discussion in 'music' started by davidavdavid, Aug 25, 2017.

1. davidavdavid

davidavdavid EARWAG

There are so many record shops dotted throughout the country. Props to Graham Jones' LAST SHOP STANDING to make me aware of so many, but one that I happened upon in my travels in Falmouth, Cornwall was/is JAM Records: http://www.jamrecords.co.uk/

No doubt there are others, but shopping there i came away not only with records but an experience and memories. The shop is situated on the high street and takes up a ground floor and lovely mid century furnished downstairs, perfect place to listen, read, sip tea, and repeat the process, not necessarily in that order.

Looking forward to others' recommendations.

2. madmike

madmike pfm Member

"Quicksilver"

In Southport, Market Street, opposite the Market building.
    Sells guitars too. Plenty of stock, knowledgeable guy, new additions kept separate for regular browsers, like me. New 180g stuff as well.
    Very reasonable prices too...

3. Yomanze

Yomanze pfm Member

Without a doubt, Grey 'n Pink Records in Chester. Lovely guys, who are also adaptive i.e. you buy a few albums from an artist, lo and behold, they'll let you know they got some more in a few weeks after. ;)

4. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

My favorites are abroad :)

Lyon - Joseph Gibert for all sorts of music (3 quai Dr Gailleton, 69002)

Helsinki - Digelius for great selection in folk, world, jazz and classical (on Viiskulma on tramline 3)

Vilnius - Ragaine for Baltic folk (not quite sure o the new address)

5. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

Minster Records in Beverley, Replay in Grimsby and Birds Nest in Scunthorpe are excellent. Replay does new releases as well as having a huge stock of second hand.

6. wylton

wylton pfm Member

Resident in Brighton; even better now they have expanded their shop.

7. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

Expanded? They must be doing well either that or they are very brave in these grim times...

8. wylton

wylton pfm Member

9. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

The good shops do seem to be doing well.

10. martin dawson

martin dawson pfm Member

Cruisin' Records Welling Kent

Regards,

Martin

11. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

I've never been there even though it's only a bus ride away - I'm going to go and have a nose next week. Thanks!

12. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Brighton is blessed with tons of great record shops - it's better than London now in some regards. I really enjoyed visiting Rarekind Records a couple of months ago. A great shop if you enjoy digging through the pound bins for bargains :)

13. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Vinyl Tap in Huddersfield

14. Moonbuggy

Moonbuggy Active Member

Two vinyl shops in St Nicholas Market, Bristol, both with de-facto battered SL1200 with low-riding Stanton cartridge to sample the impressive selection of reggae, roots and world music. My friday lunchtime treat.

15. wylton

wylton pfm Member

Yes, with the closure of Head in Bromley, Cruisin' was the closest RSD store this year. It's quite small and it was a bit of a crush!

I just checked the map; it's quite close to Resident, so worth a detour when I'm next in the area.

16. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

I don't care what you all say, the best is still Alan's in North/east Finchley and the one to beat.
    Trust me.

Bloss

17. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

I'm a huge fan of Alans (though I haven't graduated to the level of customer that gets offered a mug of tea....)

But it's INSIDE London :)

18. htm_1968

htm_1968 pfm Member

Probe in Liverpool is consistently excellent.

19. davidavdavid

davidavdavid EARWAG

Thank fo alll these, as it will make my trip back to the UK either later this year, or early next that much more enjoyable as I criss cross the country via train.

Ta.

20. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

If you are traveling by train you may end up passing through Reading. If so you need to check out The Sound Machine in the Harris Arcade which is very close to Reading Station. The quality of their 2nd hand stock is normally astonishingly good and changes fairly frequently. They seem to have a very high turnover and that seems to be part of their magic formula.