1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Favo*u*rite Records Shops OUTSIDE of London

Discussion in 'music' started by davidavdavid, Aug 25, 2017.

1. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

I just had to post, not visited him in a while and withdrawal symptons kicking in.

Bloss

2. forester

forester pfm Member

Amoeba Music, Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles. Lemmy used to shop there too.

3. dsg

dsg Bearded fellow

I like Rise in Worcester, my local city. Rise is a smallish shop but they manage to squeeze in a lot of vinyl and I'm often surprised at their eclectic selection. A decent range of CDs and a few books as well. The staff are friendly and approachable and the shop is family-friendly - it's in a shopping centre so I can quickly "pop in" during family shopping trips, plus it's clean and tidy unlike some record shops... It's a little brother to their store in Bristol which often has live bands. There's also one in Cheltenham although I've never visited that one.

Rise is 5 mins walk from Worcester Foregate Street station, which is 45 minutes from Birmingham.

Damian

4. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Cobb Records in North Wales?

Not as big as it used to be but still larger selection than most..

5. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Rise is mostly new stuff - although I picked up a couple of Japanese issues of jazz recently that are excellent.

There is another record store in Worcester, 2nd hand dealers - Market Hall Records, upstairs in the Gallery, off the Shambles. Excellent cheese shop on the same complex.

6. HydeLea

HydeLea pfm Member

'Expanded? They must be doing well either that or they are very brave in these grim times...

Grim times ... says who !

Vinyl purchases are the highest they've been for years ... FTSE at record high and the UK about to leave that dreaded institution the EU !

Like a dog of a lead - like a prisoner let out of jail !!!

The UK is only moving one way and that is up.

7. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

isn't it interesting how we all perceive the same thing.....

8. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

quite :)

9. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

This morning The Guardian online announced FTSE as being at a record low... something to do with North Korea and a hurricane...

10. Sich

Sich Active Member

Hello from another Worcester resident! Nick @ Market Hall is a nice guy. Have you ever been to Carnival in Malvern? Good second hand and new store for both vinyl & CD.

11. antinchip

antinchip pfm Member

12. vince rocker

vince rocker pfm Member

Piccadilly Records in Manchester gets most of my cash. It's too tempting working in the city centre.
    Today: Chris Forsyth and the Solar Motel Band "Dreaming in the Non-Dream" new and sounding good on vinyl.

13. wylton

wylton pfm Member

I'm visiting Manchester this weekend, and Piccadilly Records and the True Faith Exhibition at the Manchester Art gallery are high on my list of visits!

14. mercalia

mercalia pfm Member

can people post adresses/post codes for the places? Maybe you know where they are but I dont

15. wylton

wylton pfm Member

Resident Records
    28 Kensington Gardens,
    Brighton.
    BN1 4AL

01273 606312

Piccadilly Records,
    53 Oldham St,
    Manchester.
    M1 1JR

0161 839 8008

16. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Friend of mine keeps telling me about it, but I rarely get to Malvern!

17. Yomanze

Yomanze pfm Member

Grey 'n Pink Records in Chester on Brook Street: http://greynpinkrecords.com/

"We stock everything from 1950s rock n’ roll to indie and rap, but no easy listening, classical or dance." ;)

18. Sich

Sich Active Member

Had a 'diggers dream moment in there this weekend where someone had sold a ton of 90's electronic stuff - heaven!

19. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

Deco audio, Aylesbury. HP19 8UQ

Mainly used, good quality, most genres.

Bloss

20. JustJohn

JustJohn pfm Member

I spent some time in Carnival during a holiday in the Malverns a couple of years ago. Excellent shop.