1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Favo*u*rite Records Shops OUTSIDE of London

Discussion in 'music' started by davidavdavid, Aug 25, 2017.

1. JD68

JD68 Well-Known Member

My favourite too. Some good second hand shops in Manchester too. And a special mention to X Records in Bolton.

2. happychappy

happychappy Happy Member

For Soul, Funk, Jazz, Latin, Disco and Rare Groove these guys top the pile:-

Crazy Beat Records
    87 Corbets Tey Rd,
    Upminster
    RM14 2AH

3. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

My Local S/H record shop, Hatter's hall in Faversham, is insane. There are mountains of charity shop junk out front and in the main part of the shop, whilst there's a bunch of spectacular rarity bargains buried in the room fashioned out of the cupboard under the stairs. The jazz and prog sections are mostly junk, with, again, massively underpriced treasure buried within.

I think it's mainly become a social thing for the owner and he's largely given up on housekeeping. Or he's a compulsive hoarder.

I have to pop back and get that riverboat Alice's Restaurant for a fiver.

4. harmonica98

harmonica98 Active Member

Kingbee Records in Chorlton, Manchester. Decent selection, keen prices.

5. JD68

JD68 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Although I went in a couple of weeks ago and it was disappointing. Soda in Altrincham is also good.

6. julesd68

julesd68 pfm Member

I always visit the legendary Sifters whenever I go to see my mum in Manchester.

Just superb - you can walk out with a handful of decent lps there for the price of one ebay purchase.

7. julesd68

julesd68 pfm Member

yes I'm also very lucky to have Alans down the road from me - best to go in 'off-peak' hours if you can as it can get rather cramped in there!

8. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

There's a shop near me a bit like that. There are records in random three foot piles on top of the racks. Stacks of battered boxes full of records all over the floor. Most of the records aren't priced and the ones that are have 'hopefull' prices. The racks were once nominally organised by genre but that was a long time ago...

Access to the records involves climbing a staircase almost entirely covered by piles of VHS tapes.

The owner told me he took the site because it's opposite a Weatherspoons :)

9. richgilb

richgilb I voted out lol....

Discogs.

No other record shop can compete with the range. I never go in traditional record shops any more.

10. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

Discogs are fine if you are after specific items, but for me a good record shop is far more tempting. You get to see stuff you may not have considered previously, also you can evaluate the condition of the record yourself, something which discogs can and does get wrong from time to time.

Bloss

11. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

i was in portmadoc in wales a few weeks ago and they had a nice record store

12. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

I make a 3hr round journey to go to these guys & also make a day of it in Chester, in that pecking order as well.

Small shop, big atmosphere, highly recommended.

Tip

Look under the racks at the boxes found there, some great bargains found whilst perusing.

13. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

Gatefold - Hitchin.

I rate this shop, 75% new, but a really good Jazz all types, World, Reggae, Electronic.
    Quite an extensive selection of rock, but I rarely look at these.
    Good coffee and cake, owner likes a chat, even allows my staffie in.

Bloss

PS: Try and visit on a Friday, same day as the antique market with a few record stalls on there also

14. florette69

florette69 pfm Member

Cob in Porthmadog must be one of the oldest record shops in the UK. Been there for fifty years. Not quite what it was, but still a fine place to spend an hour or two.

15. kendo

kendo gloominati

Assai Records in Broughty Ferry, Dundee have a wide choice of new vinyl in stock (it's all they sell bar a tiny amount of CDs and cassettes).
    I believe they've recently opened a shop in Edinburgh and also have a well established mail order set up.
    Grouchos for 2nd hand music still thriving too.