1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Fed up buying incorrectly graded records from Discogs...

Discussion in 'music' started by tedmanzie, Nov 1, 2017.

1. tedmanzie

tedmanzie pfm Member

Latest one, listed as NM/M- , seller has 100% rating with 25 sales, record is covered in visible scratches and clicks and pops from beginning to end. Seller has offered me a discount but I wouldn't have bought a VG copy..

Just moaning here... :(

2. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

I sympathise, I have found Discogs a bit patchy although I have picked up some great records from some sellers. The problem seems to be that some people just don't seem to understand the grading system.

3. garry71

garry71 Active Member

I started cataloguing my records on there without reading the grading guide. When I got around to reading it I had to "upgrade" them all.
    Mint is mint, but I'd be too embarrassed to sell any that fitted their definition of "good".

4. tedmanzie

tedmanzie pfm Member

I agree with you there! For me 'Very good' = average, 'Good' = bad, 'Fair' = terrible...

Near mint should be almost new, and sellers are using it too easily in my opinion. This guy I'm dealing with currently is basically saying it's my problem that my standards are too high.

5. daytona600

daytona600 Registered User

RECORD COLLECTORS GRADING SYSTEM
    Mint (M) The record itself is in brand new condition with no surface marks or deterioration in sound quality. The cover and any extra items such as the lyric sheet. booklet or poster are in perfect condition. Records marked as Sealed or Unplayed should be Mint.
    Excellent (EX) The record shows some signs of having been played, but there is very little lessening in sound quality. The cover and packaging might have slight wear and/or creasing.
    Very Good (VG) The record has obviously been played many times, but displays no major deterioration in sound quality, despite noticeable surface marks and the occasional light scratch. Normal wear and tear on the cover or extra items, without any major defects is acceptable
    Good (G) Te record has been played so much that the sound quality has noticeably deteriorated, perhaps with some distortion and mild scratches. The cover and contents suffer from folding, scuffing of edges, spine splits, discolouration, etc
    Fair (F) The record is still just playable but has not been cared for properly and displays considerable surface noise; it may even jump. The cover and contents will be torn, stained and/or defaced.
    Poor (P) The record will not play properly due to scratched, bad surface noise, etc. The cover and contents will be badly damaged or partly missing
    Bad (B) The record is unplayable or might even be broken, and is only of use as a collection-filler
    CD’s and CASSETTES As a general rule CD’s and Cassettes either play perfectly – in which case they are in Mint condition – or they don’t, in which case their value is minimal. Cassette tape is liable to deteriorate with age, even if it remains unplayed, so care should be taken when buying old tapes. CD’s are difficult to grade visually; they can look perfect but actually be faulty, while in other cases they may appear damaged but still play perfectly. Cassette and CD inlays and booklets should be graded in the same way as record covers and sleeves. In general, the plastic containers for cassettes and CDs can easily be replaces if they are broken or scratched, but card covers and digipaks are subject to the same wear as record sleeves.

6. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

I have had similar comments from a few sellers and it really can put you off using it. This is a great shame because it could be a really good marketplace for records and other media; at present its a bit of a lottery.

7. jy3

jy3 pfm Member

I received my first vinyl purchase from Discogs yesterday. The cover was described as v.good and the vinyl nr. mint. The cover is a disgrace although the vinyl isn't too bad, a few clicks and a small scratch at the beginning of side 2. Luckily I have a good cover from my original purchase, it was the vinyl that was badly warped.

8. Farthings cat

Farthings cat pfm Member

I bought a MFSL DSOTM and it was described as mint - it was the noisest recorded known to man - took 4 cleans to get it respectable...... won’t be using discography again.
    Gary

9. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

I have had some incorrectly graded records, which I have returned. One seller, whom I bought 6 12" singles from, were all under graded, they were superb and I gave him excellent feedback and he thanked me. This has only happened the once from 95 purchases of some 200 records or so.
    If the seller plays up go straight to your Paypal/bank direct. I only needed to do this once, the other occasions were settled by Discogs instructing the seller to comply.
    I still think the best way to buy is via a good record shop, where at least you can see what you are getting.

Bloss

10. zygote23

zygote23 pfm Member

I sell quite a bit on discogs. It took me a little while to fully get to grips with the grading system but I rarely would describe a record as mint even if it was sealed! Case in point I have two brand new 'Popol Vuh - For you and me' Lp's which sound like sandpaper on opening and no amount of cleaning fixes this.

I've only had trouble twice on Discogs and bot times I was selling sealed records. A guy from Hungary threatened to kill me! The other guy eventually backed down as I opened a dispute against him with Discogs and they found in my favour.

I run a system where if you are not totally happy you can just send the stuff back for a full refund.....simples.

11. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

That's pretty much in line with the Goldmine grading guide they use.

https://support.discogs.com/en/support/solutions/articles/13000014664-how-to-grade-items-

VG+ is your average used record that's seen a bit of life. It's normally seen as the lowest grade worth buying. Anything below that is 10% of the NM price and has to be rare or expensive to be worth anything at all.

The hardest part is the gap between NM- (which I would expect to be really near mint) and VG+. Most well cared for records will fall somewhere between these. Some sellers will list as VG+ but describe as 'EX' to make clear that it's a nice copy which I find quite useful.

12. Anh

Anh Naim ghetto blaster

13. mr.datsun

mr.datsun pfm Member

Discogs don't use RC system, they use the Goldmine system. It's pretty crap 'cos no one wants to call an Ex/Ex- album VG+. VG+ sounds bad and the value drops by 50%, so they call it NM.

14. mr.datsun

mr.datsun pfm Member

You just need to read the Discogs rating system and use it wisely to argue that an item is incorrectly graded according to the system. Sometimes that will not help but then you try and get the best return on yr money you can and if needed you give them negative feedback and move on.

Ask pertinent questions designed to confirm the rating, before buying. Unreliable sellers will usually not respond.

15. adamk

adamk pfm Member

Just be lucky you received anything.
    I paid a discogs seller 3 weeks ago and he's just cancelled the order and negged me as a non paying bidder !!
    To be fair, its the first weird experience i've had.

16. tedmanzie

tedmanzie pfm Member

I've since looked at this seller's other items and 99% of them (i.e. nearly 200 items) are listed as NM or M-, which is obviously daft. I'm amazed he's got 100% feedback...

17. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

I always use Paypal in case of this sort of thing - I must say that I have only ever had cause to use their disputes system once and that was for a Discogs order that never arrived.

18. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

Same happened to me more than once. Contact discogs and they will amend the feedback.

Bloss

19. zygote23

zygote23 pfm Member

I've had a record folded in two by Royal Mail a few years back. I drove out to the local depot and asked to see the manager who was very quick to point out that nowhere on the packing did it say 'do not bend!'

20. theadmans

theadmans pfm Member

Postman all we seem to carry those shoulder bags and the LPs stick out a bit. This means the top inch or so gets bent over.

Mind you I received a supposed Near Mint Sleeve which had a seem split fixed with some sellotape earlier this week.

I wonder if many sellers grade the sleeve whilst it is still in the PVC sleeve. Meaning that faults aren't picked up - either that or they are plain dishonest.