1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

General Purpose Sound Quality Thread

Discussion in 'music' started by Still, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Still

Still gyldengourd

Do we music enjoyers spend too much time/effort on equipment, and not enough on the s.q. of our listening material?
    Obviously there aren't any simple rules as to what's best re: original v remaster / vynil v cd v download, but ime often there is a 'good' variant.

2. jimi

jimi pfm Member

I collect vinyl and will only buy original first pressings if these are the best sound quality pressings that are available.

3. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

Original or remaster depends on the original and the remaster....
    Remasters do seem to be getting better in the past few years.
    Vinyl CD, download aren't that far apart anymore if using the same master of course

4. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

Digital here. I use http://www.findhdmusic.com/ and http://dr.loudness-war.info/. DR wins over resolution if it comes to the crunch.

But before all that, I do my music discovery on crappy PC speakers - music comes before SQ, not just in terms of priority but chronologically! That's my biggest tip.

5. Still

Still gyldengourd

I agree music is the first priority.
    Also noticed an improvement in quality of remasters in the last few years.

6. toozeup

toozeup pfm Member

Mastering engineers like Andy Pearce are helping to change things for the better!

7. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

Jimmy Page did a fine job remastering the early Led Zep albums

Steven Wilson, of porcupine tree has remastered a lot of Prog very well indeed

8. Still

Still gyldengourd

9. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

I also hear most new music via a laptop and make a purchasing decision from there. I have come unstuck a couple of times though when a particularly poor recording has lost most of its life when played on the main system.

Bloss

10. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

LZ doesn't sound at all compressed to me.

Hmm looks like Discogs rate the 2014 release as compressed and I'm pretty sure those are the ones I have.

Decompressed is how I would put it.
    Will listen again ....

11. Still

Still gyldengourd

fwiw I'm currently working through my collection, and have been surprised with measurements of dr v perception a few times.
    I'm only on 'B' too!

12. Warszawa

Warszawa pfm Member

Try the early Barry Diament mastered Led Zep CDs. The remasters aren’t bad though.

13. Eat Yr Greens

Eat Yr Greens Member

I have the DVD-A discs of Steven Wilson's work on King Crimson's 'Islands' and 'Lark's Tongues in Aspic' and they are hugely enjoyable.

Also thanks for reminding me of the Led Zep reissues. Are they worth getting, over the originals? My dear missus is a fan and a selection (along with 'Celebration Day', maybe) might make a nice present.

14. Eat Yr Greens

Eat Yr Greens Member

This is a very pertinent question, but unfortunately we don't often have much control over the quality of the recording. I tend to gravitate towards good quality 'pressings' (although no new vinyl now for the last few years) but the music will nearly always trump sound quality per se.

Where it comes down to different releases of the same material, I'll always see whether a re-release has been done with better production / mastering than the original.

An absolutely sure-fire no-brainer decision for me, after attending the "Sgt Pepper 50th anniversary" presentation by Mike Showell at the Indulgence Show, is to go out and buy it. I don't have a copy in my collection (never any need when so many people around me have!) but the remastered version is revelatory and for an old fart like me, very moving.

But when it comes down to it, most of my 'new' discs these days are opportunistic charity shop buys!

15. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Do you mean digital? If you have the Diament/Sidore (IV) originals I wouldn't rush to change them. The later remasters are, imo, better than the Page/Marino series - but they were not the worst thing you'll hear. That 'Mothership' comp was a shocker though.

I have needle drops of various vinyl originals and nothing I've heard so far beats those.

16. Still

Still gyldengourd

Warszawa

Barry Diament used to post here, but sadly not for some time.
    He also runs Soundkeeper Recordings (link), which releases records with exquisite sq, but only a few and imo obscure musicians.

Eat Yr Greens

Certainly worth researching what is out there, and keeping an eye on developments.

John

17. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

Absolutely.

If you are patient they will come up on Ebay or Amazon for not too much.

18. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Having been a vinyl man for 53+ years, I've never really gone overboard for CD, despite having some really good ones. As my CD collection (many classical) is still one-tenth of my LP collection, I've recently bought a few, with surprises on each.

The Anniversary Sgt. Pepper was a disaster and went back to Sainsbury's a week later (put a thread on here about this) as it seemed to be cut far too loud and my Vu meter needles were flat against the stops on the only 2 tracks I played.

A Jazz Samba Encore (1963 Stan Getz) early CD is, I'm convinced, better than the LP I heard on my system

Another early Best of Sandy Denny I recently bought is flat as a pancake dynamically.

Both Len. Cohen latest issues + 10 New Songs are superb.

I was beginning to think that the late 80's and 90's CDs were better (more natural/less compressed) that the noughties' and later ones. Now I'm not sure !

My CDP (LECTOR valved) does shunt out a fair voltage (3.4) which doesn't help, and I'd love to buy in some more CDs, even taking a punt on content, but feel totally bereft when one is virtually unplayable through compression or s.q.

19. Warszawa

Warszawa pfm Member

Interesting. Thanks.