1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

George Michael 'Freedom' DocuFilm on C4 tonight

Discussion in 'music' started by ToTo Man, Oct 17, 2017.

1. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

Surprised there isn't a thread on this already. A very interesting docufilm that is even more poignant in light of his no longer being with us. Worth watching on catchup if you missed it.

2. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Worth a watch.
    Some of the talking heads were sat next to turntables and made to play Listen without Prejudice...then the breaks were carrying ads for Listen without Prejudice.
    What was Liam Gallagher doing there? Oh there was an ad for his new album in the breaks.

3. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

I thought it seemed like one long advert. Only watched the first and last half hour and that was too much.
    My favourite record of his, Shoot The Dog, was given only a snippet.

Bloss

4. adamk

adamk pfm Member

Should generate some sales interest in Michell turntables

5. richgilb

richgilb I voted out lol....

What about the second best, Outside?

6. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

For sure, what comes third?

Bloss

7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Interesting enough film. He existed in a style and genre that is of very little interest to me, but it was well made and he had some good points to make. As I’d never paid any attention to him I was unaware of all the label fall-out/contractual obligation stuff.

8. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

We couldn't believe that was from 93/94. :eek:

9. ToTo Man

On reflection, I'm not sure if this docufilm is as complete as it suggested. It states that George was putting the "final touches" on it in the days before he died, however it did seem quite sparse in content post-1997 and I found it very strange that there was no mention whatsoever of George's second partner, etc. On the other hand, maybe the film wasn't intended to be a life biopic but instead focus on his struggle to obtain the "Freedom" he desperately craved, hence the focus on the 1987-1996 era...

10. jackbarron

jackbarron Stamford Bridge KGB

Enjoyed Freedom and learned a fair amount about George Michael. It wasn't however a hard-hitting documentary, which isn't surprising since he co-directed it, so there were areas that were glossed over like sexual escapades and drugs.

I saw George perform at Wham's last show and Live Aid. He was very talented and could sing a bit. Liam Gallagher's assessments were accurate, right down to saying how George adapted the moves of Elvis during Faith.

Clive Davis didn't come over well at all. It is sad that George said there were no artists who supported him during his struggle with Sony.

Jack

11. spengenuk

spengenuk pfm Member

Don’t think he came out to well regarding the record label fall out, didn’t do any promotion for his second album and still expected huge sales, when it didn’t, blamed the record label.

12. richgilb

Erm......the next best thing is Kate Moss introduced the documentary.

13. theadmans

theadmans pfm Member

Haven't seen the doc and am not really a fan.

...but I was always kind of surprised when I read (about 10 years ago) that George Michael's favourite album was "Closer" by Joy Division

14. davem

davem pfm Member

I quite like some of his stuff. As others have said, not sure whether the documentary was intended as a life biopic (a bit light on subject matter, if so) or to highlight his struggle for 'freedom' to write and sing what he wanted, or a bit of both. For me, it's just sad that (IMO) a talented singer/songwriter left this world so young.

15. richgilb

It's directed by George Michael. That's a bit weird.

16. Colin L

Colin L pfm Member

Haven’t seen the docu, but Faith, Listen without Prejudice, and Older are cracking albums. A major talent and a bit sad that he never was able to follow these up.

17. richgilb

Lol, looks like Liam, Elton, Mary, Nile and Stevie all have one, although Stevie was clearly not aware of its proximity, smacking it with his hand mid-interview.

18. ToTo Man

Part of me wishes he sheared the tonearm clean off the table! :D

19. Natara

Natara pfm Member

Anyone who has a 30 ft inflatable George Bush getting a blow job from Tony Blair as a part of their stage show at the time of the Iraq war is ok by me.

20. jackbarron

jackbarron Stamford Bridge KGB

The Guardian have an interesting piece about the Freedom film. They point out that you never actually get to see who is writing at the typewriter in George Michael's house. The guy is shot from the back, but the assumption is it's George.

The quotes from George are old. They are taken from the archives of MTV, Radio One or wherever.

You don't see any interviews with people who were close to him like Andrew Ridgeley.

The Guardian article is here.

Jack