1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Heco Direkt - any 'real life' experience

Discussion in 'audio' started by banjoman, Oct 16, 2017.

1. banjoman

banjoman pfm Member

Having moved to Bonn, I am slowly 'Germanifying' parts of my system.
    Already have a Scheu Diamond which is a sweet little thing and behaving very well indeed.

Blessed with a bigger room, I am on the quest for new speakers to alternate with my Shahinian Obelisks.
    Priorities - better scale at mid-low volumes, more transparency and slightly more directional soundstage

The HEco Direkt (Heco is based not far from Bonn) are top of my list.

I will eventually demo them but just wanted to canvas opinions from any Fishies who may have heard them properly, especially in a more 'normal' room rather than a HiFi show.

Any experience and thoughts?
    Anything to watch out for?

I will have 2 amplification options to pair with them:
    - Conrad Johnson tube PV12A pre + Plinius P10
    - Croft 25R/7R

I would be open to getting a lower powered tube integrated as well if I really like the speakers

2. onespeed

onespeed pfm Member

Deco Audio have written a short review on their website if that helps.

3. banjoman

banjoman pfm Member

Thanks

All the online reviews are very positive which is promising, but hoping someone here has listened to them properly as well

4. gary yeowell

gary yeowell pfm Member

Yes had them here. For what it's worth, with my room and ears, bleedin awful.... played with a Naim CDS3 and SN2. Shahinian Compass miles better with same kit. No axe to grind as i could have had them for peanuts.

5. crimsondonkey

crimsondonkey pfm Member

I've heard them at bake offs with valve kit and thought they sounded great. Easy to position, non fatiguing yet nice and dynamic. Thought they showed up differences in partnering kit very easily.

6. banjoman

banjoman pfm Member

Any chance you tried different amps with them?
    From what I have read and heard - tube or hybrid combos with lower power suit them well.
    I would have thought Naim amps would not be a great match but at the same time, they surely should not sound awful with an SN2!!

7. gary yeowell

gary yeowell pfm Member

Exactly! No reason why they should have sounded so horrible, very few speakers i've tried with Naim amps have been poor. No i didn't try any other amps as i was not in the least bit interested in changing eveything to accommodate them. As i said, probably not the kind of info you wanted but thought i'd at least give you a scenario where i found they didn't sound good.

8. banjoman

banjoman pfm Member

Appreciate that. A local friend here in Bonn was a bit underwhelmed but he didn't find it bad. So getting some mixed feedback over here as well.
    A proper demo becomes more pertinent - will see if dealers here do home demos.

I don't plan on getting rid of the Obelisks but craving something totally different to experiment with

9. gary yeowell

gary yeowell pfm Member

You might want to put the Audio Note speakers on that list, they hit the spot for me so to speak. Different enough to Shahinian without being in your face like a lot of modern designs. If i were to change from Shahinian, they would be one on my radar.

10. PerF

PerF Private

I had them home a couple of month's or so, think its was back in 2016

Tried them with Rega and Naim amplication and no way I liked them

Transparency, engagement, pinpoint you can do a lot better

They are big though, maybe that counts for someone

If you want interesting alternative to Shahinian try the Swedish Larsen or Carlsson

11. banjoman

banjoman pfm Member

As far as omni directional speakers go, the Obelisks are simply brilliant and I like them a lot.
    I am just looking for something totally different. Considered large Tannoys - I heard the Kensington Prestige and they were superb - but the ones I like are too expensive and/or big.

Think I might have to revisit Proac D series

By the way, I heard some great Danish speakers at a local Hifi show - Boenicke.
    Lovely but fairly pricey

12. Cyclopse

Cyclopse Member

Heco Direkt user here.

Nice pace and rhythm plus sweet treble from the horn loaded soft dome. My Vitus prefers them to their predecessor Raidho C1.1, much easier load. HiFi Choice likes them too. Some trusted ears from Bonzo has them on his site as a Best Buy:-

Heco Direct – At 2700 quid, it is a steal and is brilliant. You can set it up in a bathroom sized place if required. Just buy it till you get a bigger budget ready, and drive with 10 – 25w low cost amps.

They work great in small rooms too. Crimson knows my setup because he has heard it.

Regards

Cyclopse

13. notevenclose

notevenclose pfm Member

Pedant's corner: Boenicke is Swiss, not Danish.

14. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

yes a number have bought boenicke recently , sevearl threads about them on forums

proac definately worth a listen , the d30r consistantly arouses good vibes in many . i have never heard that model

heard the direckt a few times now . most times not so keen but i did hear it with a italian integrated and the bass was seismic , you could really feel the place shake . i was rather taken aback . not bad sound but i would need an extended time with them to make a full opinion

15. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

Heard them a few times, remind me of AN-e and a very nice sound with valves but TBH being an Obelisk owner I wouldn't swap them for Direkts.

At the bakeoff used them with my 300b amp and someone elses Kondo M7 and the other time was with Pure Sound 845 & L300 pre

[​IMG]63bcabcc125fbb3bd23a26a218e6047f139ec529 by The Biglebowski, on Flickr

16. banjoman

banjoman pfm Member

Thanks BigLeb
    Thats exactly the type of experience I was hoping to hear from.
    It helps to set expectations.
    Will still give them a listen when I get a chance

17. Elephantears

Elephantears Trunkated Aesthete

I was searching out a pair of these after reading reviews, and Bonzo raving about them. However I stopped after the suggestion from one dealer that my room was just not big enough; they had a room of the same size (mine is 14'8" x 12) which also has concrete floors and I think the Direkt were problematic. I keep coming across people who say, 'no, but actually I've got 15" Tannoys in my toilet', but it never seems to work for me. Perhaps this is due to concrete floors and a soundproofed ceiling; there is just nowhere for the bass to go.

18. bonzo75

bonzo75 Planar freak + foo tweak geek

Can't you pad up the concrete floors with carpet or something? Maybe try the LS3 5/9 then?

19. littleaudioco

littleaudioco Trade: The Little Audio Co.

I'm not sure Naim amps would stand up to the sort of scrutiny a high efficiency speaker would put it under. Whatever you drive them with, it's got to be clean, otherwise you're amplifying any noise the amplifiers produce.

20. Elephantears

Elephantears Trunkated Aesthete

I presume you mean Graham LS5/9. Nice, but I haven't quite been bewitched when I've heard them. Would be good to try them at home. I've had the M30.1, which is the same size. Also very nice, but no lower bass at all, and slightly too poite. These speakers that fall off a cliff at 50Hz do open up the possibility of using a good sub though.