1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Heco Direkt - any 'real life' experience

Discussion in 'audio' started by banjoman, Oct 16, 2017.

1. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

I heard them at a bake off with valve amps too, and found them a bit harsh. Also at a show with the same result. But I should mention that I have a peak in my hearing at 6-8kHz which makes me extremely sensitive in that region. Others have liked the sound of them.

2. pure sound

pure sound Trade: manufacturer/distributor

As the UK importer I've had the opportunity to listen to them with a variety of amplifiers as I visit different shops. The highish sensitivity can very occasionally be an issue when listening to certain transistor designs as it becomes evident that you are indeed listening to the sound of output devices switchìng on and off. I always have a small class A EL84 amp with me so I can show that the fault isn't with the speakers. But it isn't usually necessary as most modern amplifiers sound tidy enough. The Rega integrateds (for example) always give a nice result.

3. martinm

martinm pfm Member

I changed my An-J's for a pair of the Direkts as couldn't get my AN up against a solid wall or in the corners. Couldn't be happier. Lovely big sounding, unfatiguing, and some proper deep bass from my 10 watts. all personal but I've had Naim/shainain in the past and prefer what I have now. But that was different rooms and times.
    I had a listen to an Atom the other week and whilst good it didn't have the magic that I get with the valves, so this could point to a particular gelling with valves (though sounded pretty sweet with a Rega elex).

They are a £2.5k speaker and should be taken as such. They are a great all rounder but other speakers may be preferable dependent on room and other kit.
    I love what they do at the price point. I also happen to really like the styling but imagine they are a bit marmite. If you like what they do I'm not sure there is much else at the price that is similar?

4. yuckyamson

yuckyamson pfm Member

@pure sound

could you elaborate as to how the bigger brothers sound in comparison to the little guys?

Also just to be clear it sounds like what you're saying is that they prefer smoother, slightly mellower amps. That's fine if that's the case just clarifying. The whole "fault found" thing I think is a bit unnecessary as ultimately every component needs good matching. If the Hecos just need a mellower, warmer amp to be at their best, so be it.

5. Cyclopse

Cyclopse Member

The horn loaded soft dome tweeter is high resolution and will tell you what’s happening further up the replay chain.

6. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

So what makes a speaker be "high resolution" or "low resolution"?

7. banjoman

banjoman pfm Member

Thanks all

I scheduled a demo of the Direkts in Koln and had to cancel due to work travel.
    In the mean time an oportunity to buy some Devore Gibbon nines has come up - a speaker that I have heard in Melstock's system and been very very impressed by, though he has some serious high end VTL tube amps driving them which I wont.
    Pursuing that option, but involves cross-continental shipping so keeping my fingers crossed.

In any case, will demo the Direkts in due course and report back

8. littleaudioco

littleaudioco Trade: The Little Audio Co.

I've been listening to the Direkt Einklangs for the past three hours or so - my demo pair turned up this morning so I'm just working through my demo material whilst I running them in on the Convert Technologies Plato system. I've not played about with placement too much yet but sounding wonderful so far - something different to my current loudspeaker ranges, which is good :)

9. pure sound

The 2 way Direkts do give a slightly greater sense of scale & ease but the wide baffle & rounded edges of both models seem to allow them to disappear quite effectively with no additional diffraction artefacts confusing the presentation. The bass alignment definitely sounds of the same family despite the smaller model using an 8" whereas the 2 way has an 11" woofer.

I think that both models are more comfortable with slightly mellower amps. I've been running in a pair of Einklangs today using an old Marantz Pm4 integrated and that sounds charming particularly when switched into its Class A mode. One listener's 'mellow' might well be another listener's 'lack of switching distortion' & the highish sensitivity of both models might mean that much normal listening is undertaken down at output levels where, in some amplifiers, such distortion forms a significant component of the amp's output.

10. yuckyamson

yuckyamson pfm Member

For once I'm with Julf.

11. yuckyamson

yuckyamson pfm Member

Hi Pure,

Sorry I think we miscommunicated. I was asking you to compare the 11" 2-ways to the 3-way direkts.

the baby model looks a little strange with the coaxial driver but I'll take you at your word that they're great.

I'm curious as to the biggest model, that's all.

12. pure sound

With regard to the Dreiklang I haven't yet had those side by side with the standard Direkts. I heard them in Munich last year in isolation & I recently supplied & listened to a pair of Dreiklang at one of the 2 (so far) UK based Heco dealers that stock them. They do more of everything. Having a dedicated 8" mid driver eases the duties of both bass driver & tweeter and of course the 15" bass driver working into a much larger enclosure does comfortably play considerably lower.

But I suggest you talk with one of the Dreiklang stockists; Evolution Audio 01775 710325 or SSAV Norwich 01603 767605 and get their impressions or arrange a demo with them.

http://evoaudio.uk/

13. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

brilliant news for lovers of heco in brum

The Heco Direkt loudspeaker range comes to Birmingham. First to arrive is the newly released Direkt Einklang - a slightly smaller, full range, single driver version of the existing two way Direkt model. Although a little less efficient than the Direkt, the Direkt Einklangs are still a high 94dB sensitivity, making them ideal for lower powered amplifiers, particularly valve amplifiers.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4480/...f02d19ac_c.jpgHeco Direkt Einklang loudspeakers at the little audio company by David, on Flickr

littleaudioco likes this.
  14. bonzo75

bonzo75 Planar freak + foo tweak geek

Hi, my friend Bill in reading bought the Heco Direkt for his bedroom system.

His main system in a 24 x 15 room, firing across, was the focal maestro utopia with Analog Domain integrated, Aesthetix IO signature, Lyra kleos, kuzma stabi ref and triplanar, and the lampizator golden gate for digital.

He soon realized the obvious, and now moved Heco to his main room, sold off the big Focal, and used the money to get an SME 30/2. He will be getting SETs.

He did say when he changed his Lampi valves, he got the best sound at his place.

The focal did bass, weight, stage, more... But what audiophiles will eventually realize is that most speakers are oversized for their rooms so the Heco present a brilliant whole sound, just musically engaging, at a low price, that you can sell off if you get your ideal room and speaker.

15. banjoman

banjoman pfm Member

Thanks. I have decided to go down a different route (used Devore Gibbon nines) but the Direkts on my 'must try' list

16. tuga

tuga pfm Member

I would describe a speaker's resolution as it's ability to reproduce detail at low sound levels.
    Cabinet resonances and lack of rigidity, driver resonances, intermodulation distortion, will affect "resolution", and bass-reflex which produces worse transient response than sealed cabinets.
    But an exaggeration of the "presence" region may be perceived as better detail retrieval - i.e. upper-midrange hard cone resonances -, just as too much top octave is generally perceived as "airy".