1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Heroes on A New Career ...

Discussion in 'music' started by killie99, Sep 29, 2017.

1. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

WTF have they done to the CD version of the Heroes track on the Heroes album? 2:40 ish in the volume is all over the place, you have to be ****ing joking? I haven’t listened to the vinyl version yet as my tt is getting serviced. Can someone check their copy?

2. Simples

Simples New Member

Unfortunately the Vinyl has the same issue.

Overall this box set is all over the place SQ wise and rather disappointing.

3. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

Bowie would be turning in his grave at this, so disappointing.

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

A predictably huge thread over on Steve Hoffman’s site here. Dive in about page 130 to get proper feedback from buyers rather than pre-release gossip.

PS tldr; Bowie digital catalogue still a complete mess, early-80s Japanese or WG RCA first CD issues remain the least compromised digital issues for most titles. Annoying as whilst I have a lovely tidy set of original UK vinyl (I bought long before the price went crazy!) I would buy a genuinely well mastered complete CD or SACD set of Bowie albums in a box were such a thing available. This would appear not to be the set I am waiting for.

5. Sloop John B

Sloop John B pfm Member

How do they still get these things so wrong?

This is a serious question, does anyone here have "insight"?

.sjb

6. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Crap, I was looking to get good copies of Low, Heroes and Scary Monsters.

Why would anyone release such crap mastering now?

Joe

7. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

It really is inexcusable, surely someone listened to the tracks before they were signed off? I feel cheated out of nigh on £300.

8. Joe P

killie,

It's a shame because the first box was mastered well. Maybe it was a bit warm and euphonic relative to the original pressings, but I'd take that over thin, shouty and screechy.

Joe

9. mr.datsun

mr.datsun pfm Member

Many are cancelling their orders on the strength of feedback and hearing file-based versions.

10. Warszawa

Warszawa pfm Member

I've read through several pages there and still can't conclude whether it's present on the vinyl as well. Presumably so?

11. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Both digital and vinyl as I understand it. How something like that gets through quality control is beyond me.

12. Warszawa

Warszawa pfm Member

To be honest I don't know why I even buy these things as I have the early RCA pressings which are frankly unbeatable.

13. richgilb

richgilb pfm Member

Vicsonti's remix of Lodger is quite different though. Not just more hifi whatever. He has definitely changed things around a lot.

I don't buy any of the Bowie repackaged stuff, as I also have everything on vinyl from years ago. But if they are genuinely going to make a difference it's worth a listen, if not 300 quid.

Overall, boxsets are beginning to piss me off. I'd like a vinyl copy of the Lodger remix, as I would like a copy of Elbow's orchestral live album. But I don't want the rest of it.

14. Warszawa

Warszawa pfm Member

Well I'll give that a spin at least. Cheers.

15. richgilb

richgilb pfm Member

When you've listened, I'll give you 20 quid for it.

16. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

I'll go £25!

17. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

The recent vinyl issue of Young Americans looks lovely, but sounds like shit, too.

18. Joe P

Are any of the albums in the New Career box set mastered well?

Joe

19. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

I've decided to return mine, just waiting to here how What Records are going to handle it as I've opened the cd box set but not the vinyl.
    I'm gutted, was soooo looking forward to listening to this and it's just awful.

20. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

I see it's been pulled from Amazon UK, only sellers are re-sellers so I'm guessing that's due to the number getting returned.