1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Heroes on A New Career ...

Discussion in 'music' started by killie99, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Jimmy,

Ah, crap. I was hoping the disaster was limited to one album.

Joe

2. Warszawa

Warszawa pfm Member

3. spengenuk

spengenuk pfm Member

Reading the blurb on the SDE site, it seems the faults on Heroes and the tape hiss are probably due to the age and condition of the original tapes used which might be fair enough, however the excessive bass on Low is down to how Visconti wanted it to sound, surely this makes it a remix.
    I wanted this set for the Lodger remix but won’t be buying it though it’s my favourite Bowie era.

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’d just settle for the original 70’s mastering decisions transferred accurately to digital. It amazes me how wrong these things go over time and I’m sorry I don’t care who it is behind it, but I’m no fan of trying to rewrite history. Bowie’s catalogue is what it is, the decisions taken in the 1970s should be respected. Just transfer it well, stick it in a nice big box and sell it to me!

5. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

I bought a 2nd press young Americans recently as my 1st press is close to being worn out. Not too bad all things considered, only a little loss of sq if my memory serves me well.

Bloss

6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Vinyl? The green label RCA International reissues are pretty decent and getting collectible in their own right. I’ve got a very good set of UK orange RCA Victor pressings, some not the earliest matrixes but all EX/EX or above. The only exception being Pin-Ups which is a black label reissue, but I’m not bothered about that one really. I’d still love a nice full set of digital Bowie, but I’m not prepared to pay high collector prices for the Japanese or WG RCA 1st issue CDs, most being £50 or more in mint condition these days.

7. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

My error a 3rd press from 1984,.

Bloss

8. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

Well said, that is EXACTLY what I want!

9. Warszawa

Warszawa pfm Member

I don’t have the vinyl box yet so can’t comment on that but I’ve listened to the 192 Low and Lodger and enjoyed them. Much bassier than the benchmark RCA CDs which can sound a bit light but do seem to have a bit more detail and finesse than the remasters.

10. Rosewind

Rosewind Lost in Translation

Thanks for sharing this (all of the comments above + Warszawa's comment)

Does this mean that the 192/24 digital tracks are mastered differently from the cd and vinyl versions?

11. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

If he were actually dead. It's an art project, surely?

Stephen

12. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

13. Warszawa

Warszawa pfm Member

No, they're all the same, just don't expect them to sound quite like the original RCA CDs or vinyl. As someone said, they're essentially a new Visconti mix.

14. Warszawa

Warszawa pfm Member

I’ve listened to Heroes now. The track really is ruined. Even if it was a master tape issue they surely should’ve balanced the volume somehow.

15. Warszawa

Warszawa pfm Member

https://www.facebook.com/davidbowie...30899502664/10154831124427665/?type=3&theater

16. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

about bloomin' time. They should have owned up to the astronomical cock up last week instead of trying to pass it off as deliberate.

17. Warszawa

Warszawa pfm Member

I've compared some tracks from the 192 Low, Heroes and Lodger downloads to lossless rips from my RCA CDs now and while I do enjoy the bass boost in places there's no contest. The new remasters sound compressed and less detailed. They're way below the standard of the first two boxes. I can imagine how bad these sound on vinyl compared to the originals.

18. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

I was listening to some of the vinyl yesterday and thought both version of Stage were better than the originals but then again Stage was never a very well recorded album. Certainly a disappointing box set and easily the poorest of the 3.
    I fear for the next box set as it'll probably contain Tonight, Never Let Me Down and Black Tie and White Noise which I'd rate as a real low point in Bowie's catalogue.

19. Warszawa

Warszawa pfm Member

The next box was going to be a hard sell even before this fiasco!

20. garry71

garry71 Active Member

My sister bought his 70s stuff (orange labels)as it was released, but played to death on crappy record players of the time. I started buying him when the labels changed to green, but was lucky enough that my dad had bought proper gear by then. All mine sound like brand new still, I think I used to buy an album and then put it straight onto cassette after a couple of plays.